Another trumped up ban at The Standard

So things seem to be much the same at The Standard – a trumped up ban from Te Reo Putake. I don’t care about bans at The Standard, but this is quite shonky moderation – ironically when discussion was generally working quite well.

I posted this comment:

There was actually some reasonable discussion, apart from a few like Sacha trying to say I should shut up because i didn’t know enough about something that is very vague.

But:

I’m used to special standards of attribution for me that many others are never asked or required to meet. I’m used to trumped up bans.  But that’s pathetic TRP. Embarrassing for The Standard .

TRP – did you do that on your own? Or did Sacha or someone else put you up to it?

So it seems that decolonisation is a touchy subject in some quarters. Can’t have the general population talking about it.

See What does decolonisation of Aotearoa mean?

Oh, and TRP, do you actually know what plagiarism means? I note that you haven’t attributed to the cartoon replicated in your post.

/  6th January 2019

Something about wrestling a pig comes to mind, PG.

2. Duker

/  6th January 2019

yes. silly bit triumphalism with a ban.
    Comments are made quickly and your quote made it clear who it was from.

3. As usual, Pete, you’ve missed a vital fact. Your failure to attribute the quote led to a misunderstanding that was entirely unnecessary. I asked you to acknowledge that you could have done better and you instead you waffled again.

btw, the Leunig cartoon was the starting point for the entire series of “How to get there’ posts and has been well discussed. The cartoon also has Leunig’s name on it, so yeah, nah.

/  6th January 2019

B.s. TRP. The quote was in quotes with a link. The only way it could be attributed to PG is by blind assumption.

The ban and your reaction and excuse are all ridiculous.

• That was the problem, Alan. People assumed it was Pete’s own work, because he didn’t acknowledge the real author. A row ensued which would not have happened if Pete had been upfront about the source.

/  6th January 2019

He was upfront about the source. If your readers are so utterly incompetent they cannot read for themselves or for each other they are not worth troubling over and their views are as worthless as their incompetence.

• No he wasn’t, Alan. No mention of the source at all. The comment is in the extracts at the top of this page. See if you can find the original poster’s name in Pete’s comment. You won’t. It’s Pete’s responsibility to attribute quotes he uses, not the readers of TS.

/  6th January 2019

Tripe. The link is attribution. The quotes show it is not the writer.

Even for those who assume links to yournz are to PG’s posts the link shows it is by a commenter, not PG’s head post.

Furthermore attributing it directly to a name may be misleading as commenter’s blog mnemonics are often/usually not their real names. The link is accurate and not misleading.

• Get real, Alan. The real writer’s name was Ben. His work was not attributed. It’s the responsibility of the writer to get this right, not the reader. Google plagiarism, it’s pretty straightforward.

/  6th January 2019

The link was sufficient to immediately identify the writer.

People jumping to the conclusion it was PG’s comment caused what problem exactly?

• A commenter had a go at Pete for some of the words in the quote, assuming they were from him. It didn’t get overly ugly, but it would not have happened at all, if Pete had acknowledged the real writer right from the start.

• And, Gazza, it’s not for readers to click on links to identify quotes. It’s the writers responsibility to be clear. If I thought for a moment that Pete was using TS for clickbait purposes, the ban would have been permanent.

• For fucks sake. If I didn’t link you’d probably have made the ban longer. You were gunning for shutting me up. You don’t jump on people for actual failures to attribute quotes. You had obvious intent from the start to make something of my comment. I’ve seen it often enough to recognise the sequence.

Maybe I’m reading that wrong. You could take full responsibility for overreacting with an abuse of power.

But somehow I think I’m closer to the mark, hence your attempt to explain your way out of your embarrassment.

• Diddums. This remains entirely your problem. Weasel words later can’t cover the fact you got this wrong. Next time take the hint and just say something like ‘fair call’, and then move on.

• “Weasel words later can’t cover the fact you got this wrong. ”

Are you big enough to admit that that applies to yourself?

• “It’s the writers responsibility to be clear.”

‘Lack of clarity’ is a frequent occurrence. It looks clear why you chose to act on this one comment and to be so pedantic on some claimed rules.

/  6th January 2019

A commenter had a go at Pete

That’s what the problem is. You’ve got people so childish over there. Even you had to come out with a puerile insult – “beigerism” indeed. Grow the fuck up.

• Heh!

“You’ve got people so childish over there.”
              “Grow the fuck up”

Pot meet kettle!

Yeah, but I KNOW it.

/  6th January 2019

The real writer named himself Ben but it may or may not be his real name. The link to the comment provides that context but attributing to that name directly does not.

• I’m, sorry, I fell asleep. What were you saying?

• Griff.

Shite oh dear .
              Hello standard less one.
              If Pete tried your shite there he would cop a ban a lot longer than a week.
              You are no better than the whaletard and his do as I say not as I do shick.

/  6th January 2019

@TRP, infantile asleep or awake just like Guyton.

• How about you do the decent thing and acknowledge that you should have given Ben the credit he deserves? Here’s a simple yes or no question: is using some else’s work without attribution right or wrong? Get the answer wrong and you have Kim Dotcom’s moral outlook.

• It hasn’t been the most popular of bans at TS, has it. You have pretty much shat on the concept of Robert’s ‘How to get there’ – how can we ever get them if discussions keep getting trashed by pettiness.

Why don’t you go edit all those Wikipedia links to quotes that, according to you, are “using some else’s work without attribution”?

/  6th January 2019

How about you do the decent thing and stop lying, TRP. Providing a link to a quote is universally accepted as attribution.

• The only complaint come from, er, nobody. How about you do the decent thing and acknowledge that you should have given Ben the credit he deserves? Here’s a simple yes or no question: is using some else’s work without attribution right or wrong?

/  6th January 2019

@TRP…how about just accepting you over reacted..I’m sure most TS posters would agree.
              Your defence is feeble and getting quite sad.

• “Providing a link to a quote is universally accepted as attribution.” Of course it is, Alan. Except in the media, in schools, at work and pretty much everywhere else where people value integrity.. But do go on …

• Trevors_elbow

/  6th January 2019

Oh dear TRP. Are you contributors too dense to see it’s not Pete’s quote? When has Pete ever claim he was part Maori?

Seems that just Pete’s name is a trigger word for Stanardnistas… maybe we should start calling him Muad’dib as his name is now a weapon!

• As I said, trumped up. Nothing was hidden, and if anyone ‘misunderstood’ it was a simple matter for them to clarify. And it caused what sort of a problem?

Who was it who ‘misunderstood’?

You missed a question. Did someone put you up to this, or is this embarrassment all your own?

Are you aware that saying something is attributed in some other post somewhere else on the internet is not actually attribution?

• Why should others “clarify”? You’re the one using someone else work. Credit where’s it’s due, Pete.

/  6th January 2019

The link was an attribution and credit. Stop being fatuously stupid and a waste of space and time.

• higherstandard

/  6th January 2019

Still gorging on your own crapulence Te Reo ? – I would’ve thought you and Bill would’ve beaten each other off The Standard by now and both given up on the blogging lark.

4. duperez

/  6th January 2019

A pun probably wasn’t intended but there it is: “trumped up ban.” Good old Trump eh?

Trumped, meaning pathetic, childish, mindless, just bizarre or a whole conglomeration of those and other things for something quite unique? Weird.

/  6th January 2019

A symptom of severe TDS when everything references The Donald, duperez. You might need professional help.

• acrossthespectrum

/  6th January 2019

@Alan Wilkinson. Not really Alan. Mr Trumps name is err Trumpeted across our daily news feed 24/7. This site has Trump articles and Trump references by comments “liberally” err I mean spread throughout it’s pages. In fact there is every reason to believe the Trump headline is deliberately used to parallel the “lefts” attacks on Trump the writer believing himself to be unfairly treated by the so called left leaning standard.

/  6th January 2019

Obviously PG was a bit tongue in cheek with the headline but duperez took the bait and swam off downstream with it. Time to reel him in.

• duperez

/  6th January 2019

I looked in the mirror for professional help, and, unsurprisingly, saw it wasn’t needed.

The discussion that ensued had it that any mention of Trump drawing a judgement of ‘TDS’ might be an indication of the need for professional help for those making the judgement. 🙃

[Note – you have ‘Weird.’ saved in your username so comments go to moderation. PG]

/  6th January 2019

Ummm, yes, duperez. Now if you would just like to come along here and wait for the doctor he won’t be long.

5. acrossthespectrum

/  6th January 2019

Due to overwhelming demand from admiring posters on YNZ I have succumbed to accepting their new username they chose for me. “klueliss” is now “acrossthespectrum”

/  6th January 2019

I don’t recall seeing the survey about what your username should be?

• acrossthespectrum

/  6th January 2019

No need for a regular style survey I am a mind reader.

/  6th January 2019

Fair enuf. We’ve got a few. One more won’t hurt.

• acrossthespectrum

/  6th January 2019

@Geza. You just read my mind Gezza. Welcome aboard.

/  6th January 2019

I don’t try and read minds here, ‘trum. I just go by what people say. The mind readers here are bloody useless at it.

• acrossthespectrum

/  6th January 2019

@Gezza “Knew you’d say that”

/  6th January 2019

Nuh- uh. For that to be true you would have had to say it before I did.

• acrossthespectrum

/  6th January 2019

I know you will criticize a comment I make in the future.

Yes, but which one?

/  6th January 2019

My sincere sympathy for anyone who can read Sir Gerald’s mind.

/  6th January 2019

it’s an impossibility. I’m often as surprised as anybody else to see what I come out with next.

6. higherstandard

/  6th January 2019

People still comment at The Standard ?

How quaint.

• In their hundreds, HS. Still the biggest left blog by a country mile. Feel free to join us, comrade, resistance is futile 😉

• higherstandard

/  6th January 2019

Thanks for the offer Te Reo but for the permanent ban from Lynn and that I’d have more fun putting my John Thomas in the wall socket I think I’ll pass – the fine old days of The Gormless Fool, Felix, Robinsod, Randal et al were much more to my liking than the current commenters you have over there.

7. Bill Brown

Battle of the Blogs ….. oh the serenity

8. TRP – this post has a link without attribution…

The Dems take effective control of the House of Representatives in a few days and have already hinted that they will use the numbers to bypass Trump in an effort to end the current Government shutdown stalemate.

…if you are so particular, why did you let that go?

• No, it doesn’t. They’re my words.

/  6th January 2019

Bugger. I have to give you a tick. They were your words.

• Why don’t you acknowledge that you either over-reacted without thinking things through, or you targeted me on a mission.

/  6th January 2019

He got you on this one though. That wasn’t an unattributed quote. Might pay for you to acknowledge that error if you are to keep the moral high ground.

• I know it wasn’t an unattributed quote. I didn’t say it was. It was an unattributed source. It was linked so no problem, but same principle.

/  6th January 2019

No I don’t think it’s the same thing because to see whatever was being said you had to click on the link.

I think I’m pretty much done on this thread now, though. It’s become a quibbling squabble now.

• That may have been TRP’s intent. It’s hard to know what else he was trying to achieve.

/  6th January 2019

I think the situation is fairly simple.

1. You commented over there on something someone said over here, because you thought both Ben’s comment and yours were relevant to a topic.

2. Beause you are not part of their gang someone over there bashed you up for attempting to join their gang because they always bash you up when you attempt to join their gang.

3. Then TRP realised because someone looked at the link that they had bashed you up for saying something because that’s what they do, without checking to see whether what you had said even needed a bashing.

4. Then TRP banned you for making someone bash you up.

5. You complained that this is what happened.

6. TRP started to cry and bashed you up for making him cry.

• I wouldn’t rule out it being a setup – the complaint and then the demand to do whatever TRP demanded (I can’t remember). And then the ban. This sequence has happened time and again there – in some cases the intent was to concoct a ban was even stated.

I think it was an important thing that deserves discussion – decolonisation – and i wonder why the decision was made to try to trash that. However it drew a lot more attention to it all. Sort of Streisand effect.

9. Bill Brown