General chat

“Is there any way we could have a thread for the more lightweight stuff like music and general chat?”

Do it here. Please no personal attacks or bickering. Anything abusive, provocative or inflammatory may be deleted.

1. Blazer

/  January 13, 2019

“When I look back on my past and think how much time I wasted on nothing, how much time has been lost in futilities, errors, laziness, incapacity to live; how little I appreciated it, how many times I sinned against my heart and soul – then my heart bleeds. Life is a gift, life is happiness, every minute can be an eternity of happiness.”

– Fyodor Dostoevsky

• “every minute can be an eternity of happiness”

If every minute was ‘happiness’ then it wouldn’t be happy, it would be normal. Feelings like happiness and sadness are contrasts to normal existence. They can’t be permanent.

/  January 13, 2019

Without unhappiness we wouldn’t know & appreciate happiness for the gift that it is. The older I’ve got the more clearly I began to appreciate what happiness is, how little I need to be happy, & how to be happy as often as possible. It’s impossible to be happy when death takes the people who have devoted much of their lives to making you happy from you, & you cannot be truly happy again until your heartache recedes & when they appear in your mind as real as if you were talking to them in the flesh you are smiling & flooded with warmth.

/  January 13, 2019

IMHO you can often decide whether to be happy or unhappy. It’s a matter of what you choose to let your mind focus on and your body follow. Depends on your surroundings and how much control you have over them, of course.

/  January 13, 2019

Yes, there are some things & situations that only a mindless fool would be happy about.

/  January 13, 2019

There’s a difference between being happy and being happy about something. The first is a state of being and the second is a judgement. I can be perfectly happy while not being happy about something (for example Sir Gerald’s lamentable lack of appreciation for the greatest, best ever US President).

/  January 13, 2019

My psycho analysis says you are living vicariously through Trump..he represents what power you would love to have….sorry about..that.

/  January 13, 2019

Nah, B. I’m just entertained by Trump Derrangement Syndrome and the clinical symptoms of its sufferers.

/  January 14, 2019

The people who are heading towards ruin and homelessness can hardly be called by that name. Have you no sympathy for them, as they go unpaid for weeks ?

/  January 14, 2019

Most of them voted for Democrsts so they are getting what they voted for – a shitfight.

/  January 13, 2019

thats not what Dostoevsky is saying…thats your own interpretation.

/  January 13, 2019

I don’t think that he means happiness in the sense of joyousness so much as contentment. One would need to read the original Russian.

/  January 13, 2019

When he was a young man, he and others were sentenced to death and not told that they’d been reprieved until literally the last minute when they were lined up and the guns cocked. One would never be quite the same again. I bet he had nightmares for the rest of his life, I would.

• NOEL

/  January 13, 2019

He would probably have PTSD too.

Who wouldn’t ?

/  January 13, 2019

I have his bio; Vol. II, but that’s better than nothing and it covers his adult life, so I’d rather have it than Vol. I.

2. phantom snowflake

/  January 13, 2019

“You know what the big problem is in telling fantasy and reality apart? They’re both ridiculous.” – The Doctor. (Twelfth Doctor, to be specific.)

/  January 13, 2019

My little sis & bro-in-law arrived Friday night and we went to see The Terracotta Warriors at Te Papa & spent most of yesterday in Welly inside or out in the Te Papa forest garden with tuis & other natve birds flying among the trees and across our path, just metres away, or walking on the Waterfront Promenade, dining al fresco at one of the many wharf-side restaurants & bars,in the sun on a perfect day, with no wind, surrounded by kiwis & foreign tourists all enjoying the sights, taking short helicopter rides out over the gorgeous flat, calm blue harbour , peddling around in canopied 4-person bicycles, or peddle-paddleboats or just strolling among the pop-up-market stalls or along the wharves, listening to professional buskers with amps.

2 Wedding recepitions, going on, brides in traditional white with veils, & happy guests, dressed up to the nines, women all in stunning outfits that took your breath away, men all Looking Good & seemingly all besotted with each other on that day – love was really in the air.

And the whole time, 2 pods of dolphins were cavorting all over the harbour, porpoising in & around young folk out in mid-harbour, paddling around in their kayaks or standing up paddling on their long surf boards or surf skis, utterly thrilling those we later spoke to, sometimes disappearing & then in a few minutes popping up close a wharf, & then again, back out by paddle boarders. To the constant delight of people jabbering away in foreign tongues & standing at harboursides, videoing them & the scene.

That’s the most magic Summer’s day I’ve ever experienced anywhere. Total happiness all day there, all 3 of us.

Except for one time, for me, when we decided to also visit Peter Jackson’s Weta Workshop Anzac Gallipoli Exhibition, which I will post about separately, because it unexpectedly totally blew me away. And that doesn’t happen often.

• phantom snowflake

/  January 13, 2019

I attended a cousin’s wedding yesterday; this was one of our better family photographs:

• Pickled Possum

#Gezza
      Sounds amazing and to share all of that with your precious loved ones equally amazing. Sounds almost good enuff for a visit. I really really would love to come see the T Warriors.
      So amazing 2000 ..each with their own individual faces … I wonder if they were formed out of clay after dead warriors? How many did they send over? 4 or 5 …

/  January 13, 2019

I thought that they’d been here before.

We had a little bit of rain after a big build-up, about half a teaspoonful.

/  January 13, 2019

I didn’t count the warriors Possum. A dozen or more, two horses as well, with many, many other treasures unearthed as other exhibits, weapons, jewelery, the animals for the emperors delight or food in the afterlife, a wall length mural classic Chinese style reproduction painting of the palace & surrounding coutryside where you suddenly realise, those people in the temple, that boat, those birds, those trees, are suddenly moving for a short period, they flew out of those trees, their calls, different flocks you can hear the rowing, the breeze that moved the tree foliage …. The longer you look, the more little animations you notice. Hey two of those people just threw a net into that fish pond ….

It was great. $20 tickets. Best to buy to go at 2 pm (when we did), for 3 the pm admittance the queue was long & the crowd inside would be dense. But you can leave the crowd who just follow the others around in a snake line, go see the warriors & anything else that captures your fancy, & just gently nudge in to the snake to look at other exhibits. People are friendly & courteous & don’t mind.

We were on an expensive parking meter in an adjacent car park that charged criminal overtime fees & forgot we’d got there an hour early.) Bruce went out 10 minutes before due time & paid again for much longer as he’d seen everything by then & we knew when we saw the quayside & dolphins we were gonna spend the day there at Te Papa and the wharves, Park, & promenade. I bet many people who went just to see the warriors at Te Papa like us also ended up staying there all afternoon.

Heaps of Chinese locals and visitors went to the Terracotta Warriors among all the others. Very noticeable how many.

I know a lot about the Anzacs & Gallipoli, I read about it endlessly as a young teenager. I’d seen a clip or two of the Anzac, so I hadn’t bothered to go in to see Jackson’s exhibition, it was afterthought as it was still there, and free. (I thought it had ended.) That BECAME the highlight, for me. Absolutely stunning. Gobsmacking in some places. I felt like I was there at the battle. I shot at the turkish line through one of the wooden-periscope remote triggered rifles, & some fkn Turkish prick fired back ! Has to be seen to be experienced. I won’t say say more. I want more people to go.

Find a grabaseat cheapie (check online, I don’t know when the TW exhibition ends) & come. Go in on the train, 15 min, gorgeous trip, & walk up the wharves as slow or fast as you like. Bring whoever you like if you want to stay a day or more. Room applenty at this whare – for you & your & whanu & friends accom here is free any time.

/  January 13, 2019

PS: at TWarriors, you have to go in at the time you booked for, but you can stay in as long as you like. You will love Te Ao Maori part I’m sure. Te Papa closes at 6 I think, so 2 pm or earlier I reckon is best. The forest garden has grown and has a suspension bridge & a cave where your mokopuna can uncover “the moa bones” if they want to, I was told. I was distracted by the dolphins when sis texted they were there from up elsewhere on the path, near 2pm, so didn’t revisit it.

/  January 13, 2019

Snow, that is a lovely photo. I take it that the groom is the big handsome one reclining and the bride the paler one with her head next to his. What a beautiful bride. No wonder he looks so pleased with himself.

Which one’s you?

• phantom snowflake

/  January 13, 2019

I was behind the camera!

/  January 13, 2019

Don’t you have a timer so that you can run around and be in it ?

4. Kitty Catkin

/  January 13, 2019

‘I would that there were no age between sixteen and three-and-twenty, or that youth would sleep out the rest; for there is nothing in the between but getting wenches with child, wronging the ancientry, stealing, fighting.’

Shakespeare (The Winter’s Tale)

/  January 13, 2019

There’s a lot to be said for getting wenches with child, Kitty.

/  January 13, 2019

Not in the way that Autolycus means (I think it was he who said it)

Do you think that it’s all right to father children and leave the girl to it ?

• Pickled Possum

/  January 13, 2019

A large % of men do think this Miss if the men who plant the seed fail to give watering and feeding regularly we will have a failed crop imho

/  January 13, 2019

I would have to say that the mother’s bits have an equal share in making the baby; too often the man is blamed for ‘making a girl pregnant’ as if he was the only one responsible.

A few hundred years ago in Brittany if the man tried to get out of his responsibilities by getting his mates to say that they’d gone with the girl as well, the judge would make all of them pay up. Serve them right.

/  January 13, 2019

No, but it takes two to avoid that outcome, Kitty, and very many don’t – presumably often by choice.

/  January 13, 2019

I can see why people once thought that it was the man; we know about ovaries and the rest, but if you didn’t, you’d assume that it was like planting a seed.

/  January 13, 2019

Just a taste of our day in Welly yesterday, described above. I left my Smartphone at home, thinking I would just use my 2 3G mobiles often used for close-up wildlife videos at Pookden Manor. Drat it.

The low res clips had to be stabilised, which reduces their sharpness further, so the resolution is low, sadly, but I hope this captures the scene, & the feel, early in the afternoon.

The wharves are extensive and the crowd was bigger when we exited the museum, but man it was gorgeous there yesterday. A truly perfect day – no wind – true dinks!. And those few little ratbag dolphins you can barely make out were just a few of two quite big pods who would disappear as soon as they popped up really close and you whipped the vidcam out – then pop up somewhere else, all day. 😕

/  January 13, 2019

Aw … what a pain. That free site’s chopped off the right hand side when you post it here. Click on the “d” top left, and watch the vid on the dailymotion site. I should’ve used my Gezza’s Stream Vimeo Channel. I think it produces sharper video too.

Refresh the page to stop their next videos automatically playing – they don’t let you turn their “auto play next video” feature off.

6. Kitty Catkin

/  January 13, 2019

We have just had a downpour, but it was too short and probably came down too hard to be much good. It’s the first rain we’ve had for weeks.

/  January 13, 2019

But, oh joy, it’s not so HUMID. Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat – I’ll say.

I never remember the difference between porpoises and dolphins, except that one has no money and the other’s the French heir to the throne.

😀 😀 😀

/  January 13, 2019

Er … excusez moi, madam – fearful though I often am to correct you – those are paupers, and dauphins, I believe 😉

/  January 15, 2019

Dauphin is French for dolphin.

Someone in a book talked about porpoises’ funerals, and it’s impossible not to think of them as that now 😀

7. phantom snowflake