NZ Herald morphing into a mushy magazine?

I have just gone to the NZ Herald website looking for news of interest.Their current home page features:

Is the Herald a serious news organisation? Or is it morphing into a mushy magazine?

I then checked their Politics page, the place I usually go at the Herald.  The most recent articles are two days old. I realise the political year hasn’t cranked up yet but it’s surprising to see them with no fresh political news.

1. lurcher1948

/  20th January 2019

So no pictures of Jacinda and the baybee on the political pages,that’s a bit slack

• Duker

/  20th January 2019

Ardern hasnt been exploiting her baby for political capital- not like the other guy, who is completely shameless. English and Key when their children were younger didnt have the womans mags around every 3rd month or so for some fresh new photos – with the exclusive tags.

/  20th January 2019

Yup. I’m giving Jacs top marks for only exploiting bubs overseas, at the UN, and on US female gabfest tv shows, & for determinedly NOT doing so here yet (except possibly on her facebook page, which doesn’t count – everybody does that). 👍

I saw a heck of a lot more of Bella Henry’s bum, Stephie Key’s bits and bobs, and Max Key’s gormless doings than I’ve so far seen of wee Neve’s doings.

/  20th January 2019

I wouldn’t say determinedly not doing so here; we have heard about the nanas happily (?) taking over as babysitters while dad goes fishing and how much mummy looked forward to the first Christmas. And so on.

/  20th January 2019

HoS is straight tabloid. Any politics it has will be over-hyped hysteria.

/  20th January 2019

Yes. And Stuff is just as bad. Many a time I’ve gone to their front pages thru the day & been staggered at how nearly all of it at the time has coincidentally just been lightweight opinonsd from noddies, trash, trivia, women’s mag lifestyle pieces or snippets “from the weirdo universe” stuff.

/  20th January 2019

I don’t expect it all to be their own original material, but it isn’t worth bothering with now unless you want to know why ‘Meghan’ didn’t go to ‘Kate’s’ party.

/  20th January 2019

God, she can be a rotten little cow. My late lovely Mrs would’ve known why immediately ! I’d have heard about it as soon as there was anything on Te News about any of the Royals.

Wish you hadn’t told me. Now I have to know 😠

Why didn’t she ? o_O

/  20th January 2019

Dunno. I didn’t read the story.

She looks a rather tiresome woman; playing to the gallery as she puts on a sweet expression when she bends towards a child…making sure that the face towards the camera is hers and not theirs. Here’s me being charming and natural…

• Duker

/  20th January 2019

“Many a time I’ve gone to their front pages thru the day & been staggered at how nearly all of it at the time has coincidentally just been lightweight opinonsd from noddies, trash, trivia, women’s mag lifestyle pieces or snippets “from the weirdo universe” stuff.”

its their way of telling you to F O
        its young women from 18- 35 especially, older men like yourself is an advertisers no go zone.

/  20th January 2019

Tbh I’m not even sure they’re getting read by young women 18-35, maybe more by me than the,, and they won’t be picking up the 13 going on 16 year olds because they’re on social media.

Possibly they’re picking up a few weirdo universers, intrasexers or infrasexers or whatever term it currently is, and what about you? Are you an avid reader?

I don’t mind once they get back into the political swing of things. At least while it’s mostly insipid and sensationalist, it’s entertaining stuff, if only to argue over and call it insipid, ridiculous, or entertaining on blogs.

I wonder if there’s even a market for serious journalism anywhere anymore.

*the, = them

/  20th January 2019

I think that there will always be serious journalism.

I agree about the young people; would they be likely to read Stuff ? Are they even the ones who’d read royal gossip which is either fluff or invention ? I wasn’t much interested in that as a teenager or in my 20s. It’s only a guess, but I’d have thought that royal gossip was middle-aged and nana types with limited intellectual resources.

3. NOEL

/  20th January 2019

Went to a tabloid size paper sometime ago.
    I guess the journalists changed to suit.

4. Blazer

/  20th January 2019

a merger with Woman’s day is on the cards…compulsive reading …for..some.

/  20th January 2019

Would you say you were more of a North & South man, B?

/  20th January 2019

more of an East and West man actually.
        Nth & Sth was wellys sub for Metro mag.

/  20th January 2019

Fair enuf. I don’t keep up with the high-end magazine crowd. Too pricey for me. Too classy too, probly. 😦

5. David

/  20th January 2019

Timing, just saying to the wife is there any news in the Herald aside from the gypsy families latest. Havent found a story worth reading for a few days.

/  20th January 2019

They are still cowering in the hills, afraid to go to the airport, I suppose.

/  20th January 2019

Frankly, from what I’ve seen of that lot, the hills would cowering & trying to get away from them ! 😐

*be

/  20th January 2019

Probably. They’ll never be the same. Heaven only knows what that lot’ll leave behind them; imagine being the poor sods who have to clean it. They’d need to wear that all-over decontamination gear and a digger.

6. MaureenW

/  20th January 2019

NZ media’s been stuffed for a long time – most of it just reprints from overseas masters – with a few seasonal local stories on weather, lifesavers, lime scooters, etc.
    TV1 and 3, The Herald and Stuff – all stuffed.

/  20th January 2019

No wonder they had to give it to me and others for 5 weeks.

By the time I’d removed sport, houses, business etc, there was stuff-all left.

Why don’t you suggest to Stuff that they add -ed to their name ? It’s your pun and a blimmin funny one 😀

7. duperez

/  20th January 2019

Virtually every day there is some story on Herald online with either ‘Meghan’ or ‘Kate’ in the heading. I recognise the names as having something to do with the royal family. I admit I do know who the Queen’s kids are but am not sure who the grandchildren are, or great grandkids or which of the headline women is attached to whom. And admit to never clicking on the stories.
    Those items are just like the pile of Women’s Weeklys I pass by in shops.

Why ‘Meghan’ didn’t go to
      Kate’s’ party.

Why her clothes are always crushed (no, I am not inventing that, no, I didn’t look to see why)

I am no royalist, don’t watch royal weddings as a rule, don’t go to see them when they are here, but do find it a bit cringe-making to have all the Kate/Meghan headlines as if the writers knew them.

I went to the Herald last night to find a cryptic crossword. All they had was the other kind with clues so pathetic that I can’t think who’d do it. One clue was ‘bed coverings’. (6) ??? What on earth could that be ???

But someone must go to the trouble of printing it out and filling it in.

• MaureenW

I don’t mind Code Cracker

Too hot last night…..

/  20th January 2019

The Herald does have cryptic ones., or did when I was being sent it. These assume that the doer knows some Latin, which is a surprise to find there. Perhaps they have just removed them. It was good to have those, but I don’t want to buy the paper just for that.

1. NZ Herald morphing into a mushy magazine? — Your NZ – NZ Conservative Coalition