‘Record investment’ in low emission vehicles, but still paltry

The Government has announced more funding in support of the use of ‘low emission’ (mostly electric) vehicles, but it is still paltry amounts. It may be a bit more than lip service but it is hardly going to launch us into a transport revolution.

Energy and Resources Minister Megan Woods:  Record investment in low emissions vehicles announced

Low emission transport will receive a record boost totalling more than $11 million, Energy and Resources Minister Megan Woods announced today.

“Today I’m announcing the largest round of new funding from the Government’s Low Emission Vehicles Contestable Fund yet.

“Thirty one exciting new low emissions transport projects will share over $11 million of funding to help more Kiwis make use of new transport technology.

“This funding is made up of $4.3 million of government co-funding and $7.3 million of funds from the private sector. That’s a smart investment that means the maximum benefit for the taxpayers spend.

That’s $4.3 million of Government funding. It suggests that not a big priority is going alternative energy transport.

“This round of funding focuses on innovative projects that expand the use and possibilities of electric vehicles and other low emissions technology in the transport space. It’s about making new technology available to help Kiwis get around, lower our carbon emissions and contribute to our economy.

“From 100% electric campervans for tourists to hydrogen fuel cell powered buses at the Ports of Auckland to solar panel charged electric vehicles and trial of smart chargers in people’s homes, we’re backing new technologies that will make a difference.

“We’re also funding a further 34 new public charging spaces for electric vehicles right around New Zealand, including several at South Island tourism hot-spots. This is about creating a truly national infrastructure of EV charging so that all major trips around our country are available to EV users.

34 charging stations around the country is not a big boost – and it doesn’t solve all the problems of using EVs. A small increase in the number of charging stations will help a bit, but they are still few and scattered, and the range of EVs and the time required to charge them are still significant negatives.

“This is by far the biggest round of new projects delivered by the Fund. Each previous round has given the green light to between 14 and 18 projects. In total, the fund has committed $17.2 million in government funding to 93 projects. This is matched by over $45 million applicant funding.

Trying to talk up an underwhelming investment.

“Transport is responsible for about 18% of New Zealand’s total greenhouse gas emissions, so one of the most effective ways for us to help tackle climate change is to transition our fossil-fuelled transport fleet to run on clean, renewable energy sources. By helping to roll out that technology to more people than ever, today’s announcement helps more Kiwis cut their transport emissions.

It will help a small number of Kiwis charge their vehicles.

The 31 projects are listed, ranging from tens of thousands to a few hundred thousand dollars. It is hardly going to encourage people to invest more in electric vehicles.

But I guess it’s something.

For more information about the fund, visit www.eeca.govt.nz/funding-and-support/low-emission-vehicles-contestable-fund/

For general information about EVs, see www.electricvehicles.govt.nz

1. Corky

/  23rd January 2019

A Tesla vehicle is dismantled piece by piece . The good and bad are exposed. If this clip is correct, Tesla will need to change their production line methodology. There is some weird stuff going on underneath the hood.

2. David

/  23rd January 2019

The Range Rover Sport electric vehicle has my name on it, its gorgeous and very quick.
    Now could the government pick the pockets of poor people and install many many more free charging points for me and then subsidize a charging point in my beautiful home.

• NOEL

/  23rd January 2019

I’ll buy an EV if they follow Norway.
      No GST on purchase.
      No road tolls
      No ferry charges
      Free municipal parking
      Free Charging

Nah just joking.

3. duperez

Mike Hosking: Why the lobbyists are wrong about EVs

“Why would they want this (the Government more on board with incentives to get people on board with EVs.)? Because they’re losing the battle, the battle between their utopia and the real world. In the real world, the world you and I frequent, there is a free market, free choice, and we get to make up our own minds.”

“Last year, not only did we yet again sell more cars than ever before, we sold more new flash cars. Ferraris, Bentleys, McLarens. Why is that? Because people aspire to own them. They want them, they don’t need them, but their virtues and attractions are such that people seek them out, and fork out small fortunes for them.”

He’s onto something. I don’t want people incentivised by the government into EVs clogging the roads as I try to get round in my Bentayga.

/  23rd January 2019

Mikey forgot the ”big noting” aspect of owning a flash car. A few years back I got to drive a relatives new yellow Porsche 911. In those days they were still a rarity. Damn, watching peoples reactions was fascinating. We had the admirers, people who could appreciate this beautiful car…and the haters..people who just couldn’t hide there jealously. I will never forget that day.

Of course an EV will never have the soul of a 911. You will just be another number on the road. And that’s what governments like..conformity.

Righties need flash cars. The herd need something to aspire to.

/  23rd January 2019

Are they really jealous though, Corks ? Or are they just like me – thinking, look at that wanker. Driving an expensive high performance car nobody needs just to show off – wasting all that useful dosh – when all you need to do is get from A to B and have somewhere to put your groceries in your bring-your-own designer carry bags. Hahahahaha, wot a dh. But not saying it out loud ? 😀

How can you tell what they’re thinking ? Are you possibly projecting your own attitude on to them. Have a think. Get back to me ? o_O

/  23rd January 2019

”Are they really jealous though, Corks ? Or are they just like me – thinking, look at that wanker.”

Both. I know jealousy when I see it. It’s the one human failing I cannot forgive. While this didn’t happen to me, my relative told me it wasn’t unusual for people to flick him the finger as he drove past( Bob Jones recounts similar). Those would be people who probably belong in your category.

”Driving an expensive high performance car nobody needs just to show off ”

That’s the problem, most in my opinion don’t show off. The show-offs from my experience are the clowns who own souped up American muscle cars.

Wasting all that useful dosh – when all you need to do is get from A to B and have somewhere to put your groceries in your bring-your-own designer carry bags. Hahahahaha, wot a dh. But not saying it out loud ? 😀

Now there’s your socialist roots showing. Roots you try valiantly to smooth out into reasonableness.

”How can you tell what they’re thinking ? Are you possibly projecting your own attitude on to them. Have a think. Get back to me ”

Body language.And no, no projecting. I was just enjoying my five minutes of fame while big noting..and watching people react to me like they had never done before.

Of course things have changed now. Our attitude towards money and wealth has changed..on the surface anyway. I doubt people driving flash cars now get the finger. And a Porsche is not now an uncommon car.

/  23rd January 2019

a Porsche is not now an uncommon car.</i
            Don’t see a lot of them in the local NW car park, to be fair.

Too late. :/

/  23rd January 2019

And you wont see many in the NW carpark for a variety of reasons…vandalism is one.

I think context is needed. I see about three Porsches every fortnight on average. Yes, compared to other models they are still rare. But compared to when I drove a Porsche, they are way more common.

In fact, you can get decent imported one for 50-100 grand in Auckland.
              They will eventually go the way of BMW’s which are common in poorer areas now thanks to cheap imports. $14 grand can get you a BMW import..admittedly with 140 ks on the clock.

Fair enuf.
              Re:

it’s possible I suppose. I probably shouldn’t discount that theory entirely. Although, to be fair, I’ve reached an age where I’m a bit more conservative than I used to be and I’m a believer that in the main nobody should get a free ride off others, so I dunno.

My own theory is that it’s more likely I’ve chucked a couple of triggers in above because I’ve come inside for lunch & was bored & was wondering if I could crank you up into accusing me of being a lefty, for a bit of fun.

I’ll give this some more thought.

You got me again.😒

/  23rd January 2019

Sorry Corks. Has to be done from time to time to stop you getting out of control.

/  23rd January 2019

I would hate to be on the road when a driver was gazing smugly around at other people and imagining that they were jealous rather than watching the road and traffic and keeping their mind on their driving. Either the car was being driven slowly enough to allow the driver to do a bit of mindreading or it was being driven with an alarming lack of concentration. That’s assuming that this happened at all.

The argument that these cars are not seen in car parks because of vandalism is fatuous.

/  23rd January 2019

Because you drive a Hillman Hunter, you wouldn’t have a clue what I’m talking about…especially the bit about being cool. 😃

• Griff.

/  23rd January 2019

Tesla sells more cars than Porsche.
        Porsche releases a new electric car this year .
        They expect the fully electric Taycan to make up about 1/5 of their total yearly production.
        ICE cars are to slow they cant keep up with electric.

• Gerrit

/  23rd January 2019

Urban or rural driving is not a drag race. Both EV and ICE powered cars have their place. Being in a faster EV at the lights is of no use if the ICE powered car one ahead takes off. You cant use the acceleration.

Speaking of drag racing. The fast electric dragster does the 1/4 mile in 7.24 sec at 186mph.

Fastest ICE powered dragster over the 1/4 mile, 4 secs flat at 338.35mph.

Note the fuel dragster/funny cars now run over 1000 feet as their speeds got to high (though they are back up to the 333MPH mark).

Even a door slammer will run the 1/4 mile at 5.46secs at 272mph.

Drag racing wise EV are not even close to ICE.

• Gerrit

/  23rd January 2019

This is the fastest electric powered dragster in case you are wondering

• Gerrit

/  23rd January 2019

Wrong link, try this one

/  23rd January 2019

I don’t mind having the odd look at a few minutes of drag racing every now and then but give it up if there isn’t a really decent crash where the whole bloody thing flies apart , and really, when you think about it, aren’t those cars some of the most ludicrous-looking vehicles ever banged together, and isn’t drag racing one of the most mind-numbingly stupid things any idiot could ever think of getting all excited over and actually wasting good money on?

• Gerrit

/  23rd January 2019

Different sports (entertainment) for different folks.

Drag racing is one of the few sports where all the sense are bombarded at once. Stand near a nitro methane fuel dragster or Funny car when it leaves the line is to be physically assaulted by an explosion that will rattle the ear drums, blow the body backwards and fill the nose with the pungent aroma of the sweat smell of burnt oil and unburnt nitro methane. TV simply does not do it justice. Beats the experience of electric car racing where the only sense being exposed is sound. And squeely tires is not my favourite sound.

I like the technical and engineering side of drag racing as well.

Drag racing is one of the few sports where women compete as equals with the men. Even on the nitro bikes. Age is no barrier to competition either. John Force is near 70 and recently a champ.

To control a 10,000 HP car takes skill (and some would say stupidity)..

/  23rd January 2019

My theory is it’s a clever way for petrol sniffers to con people into thinking they’re not brain damaged.

• David

/  23rd January 2019

I get admiring looks in mine and people will accost me in the carpark but the flip side was someone kicked the door in

/  23rd January 2019

There was an item on this (video in link) on 1ewes at 6 last night.

The network of charging stations is starting to look pretty widespread.

5. admiralvonspee

Money down the…drain.

• Griff.

Buggy whips Grandad.

• Pink David

/  23rd January 2019

Cars are better than horses.. A massive and compelling improvement in fact.

We already have cars. Replacing them with different cars isn’t a significant improvement, there is no actual compelling case to spend the money for most people.

Of course you have just blown $200k on your new Tesla that’s your choice, but very few will be doing this.

• And not a subsidy in….sight.

/  23rd January 2019

Why should I pay for someone else’s car, when they are probably on a far higher income than I am ? Let the buggers buy their own car.

6. Conspiratoor

/  24th January 2019

Lurchers mate mikey…

“If the Government made roman sandals free, a lot more people would wear roman sandals. Doesn’t mean we’d like them, wear them with pride or enjoy the experience, but for many it would beat paying for footwear.”

• Griff.

/  24th January 2019

You still read that site.
      How quaint.
      In ten years it will be hard to find an ice car to even buy new.
      Why ?
      Because they are better.

Further, and perhaps, adding insult to injury, the cars we did choose to buy were SUVs. You know, as in the big cars. Traditionally bigger engines, more power, more space, pretty much everything the EV revolution is battling against.

To get an idea of how idiotic Mike is See above video where a model x thrashes the competition.