Release of Mueller report

It sounds like the report detailing the findings of the Robert Mueller inquiry in the US is imminent.

UPDATE:  Robert Mueller has submitted his report on the Russia probe

Special counsel Robert Mueller has submitted a confidential report to Attorney General William Barr, marking the end of his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and possible obstruction of justice by President Donald Trump, a Justice Department spokeswoman said.

The Justice Department notified Congress late Friday that it had received Mueller’s report but did not describe its contents. Barr is expected to summarize the findings for lawmakers in coming days.

In a letter to the leaders of the House and Senate Judiciary committees, Barr wrote that Mueller “has concluded his investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election and related matters.”

Barr wrote that Mueller submitted a report to him explaining his prosecution decisions. The attorney general told lawmakers he was “reviewing the report and anticipate that I may be in a position to advise you of the Special Counsel’s principal conclusions as soon as this weekend.”

Attorney General Barr has sent this letter to the heads of the Senate and House of Representatives Judiciary committees:

Dear Chairman Graham, Chairman Nadler, Ranking Member Feinstein, and Ranking Member Collins:

I write to notify you pursuant to 28 C.F.R. 600.9(a)(3) that Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III has concluded his investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election and related matters. In addition to this notification, the Special Counsel regulations require that I provide you with “a description and explanation of instances (if any) in which the Attorney General” or acting Attorney General “concluded that a proposed action by a Special Counsel was so inappropriate or unwarranted under established Departmental practices that it should not be pursued.” 28 C.F.R. 600.9(a)(3). There were no such instances during the Special Counsel’s investigation.

The Special Counsel has submitted to me today a “confidential report explaining the prosecution or delineation decisions” he has reached, as required by 28 C.F.R. 600.8(c). I am reviewing the report and anticipate that I may be in a position to advise you of the Special Counsel’s principal conclusions as soon as this weekend.

Separately, I intend to consult with Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein and Special Counsel Mueller to determine what other information from the report can be released to Congress and the public consistent with the law, including the Special Counsel regulations, and the Department’s long-standing practices and policies. I remain committed to as much transparency as possible, and I will keep you informed as to the status of my review.

Finally, the Special Counsel regulations provide that “the Attorney General may determine that public release of” this notification “would be in the public interest.” I have so determined, and I will disclose this letter to the public after delivering it to you.

Sincerely,

William P. Barr

Attorney General

CNN:  This was the last week of the Trump presidency as we know it

This all began on May 17, 2017, when Mueller was appointed as special counsel by deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein. In the intervening 22 months (statistics courtesy of CNN Mueller probe expert Marshall Cohen):
  • Mueller brought criminal charges against 37 people and entities.
  • 6 of them were associates of President Trump: Campaign chairman Paul Manafort, deputy campaign chairman Rick Gates, national security adviser Michael Flynn, foreign policy adviser George Papadopoulos, Trump ex-attorney Michael Cohen and political svengali Roger Stone
  • 5 people have been sentenced to prison
  • Trump has referred to the investigation as a “witch hunt” more than 170 times.

1. David

/  March 23, 2019

Judging by the number of new investigations that the Dems have launched and how quiet they have been lately on collusion and tie that with how chipper Trump is and wanting the whole report released I would say Mueller has no Trump/Russia collusion.
    I think there is now a majority who think the Mueller investigation is a “witch hunt” from a recent poll. One thing we can be sure of is both sides will claim victory and the truth will be lost somewhere in the shouting.

• Duker

/  March 23, 2019

Trump doesnt want report released , he says its up to his new attorney general, ( he could of course direct the AG to release it in full !) and he fired the previous one , both because he wasnt in a position to ‘control’ the investigation and of course Barr isnt interested in releasing the whole report

• David

/  March 23, 2019

He has stated on numerous occasions he want s the whole thing released, if any part is not released it would look terrible for him. Barr has a legal obligation to the special counsels act which restricts what he can release but he has said he will release as much as possible and that was the instruction he had from the White House.

/  March 23, 2019

he has stated he wants his tax returns released …too…no sign of it happening.

• Duker

/  March 23, 2019

Wheres those words ….. you will find he qualifies as its up to the AG. But of course he could direct its release …but wont do that either.

• David

/  March 23, 2019

I dont think he can but he gains nothing from holding anything back because the speculation of it would be hyperbolic. That would be a juicy vaccum for his critics to fill.

• MaureenW

/  March 23, 2019

No American has been charged with any crime pertaining to Russian collusion in the 2016 election. Meuller is not recommending any further indictments.

I hope those responsible for the fake Dossier and those who used it to bring about the Special Counsel are charged.

• High Flying Duck

Correct – looks like Meuller ended up with nothing on Russia:

/  March 23, 2019

There seems little doubt Barr will make as much.public as he can. I hope that will be nearly everything – to prevent conspiracy theories.

• Duker

/  March 23, 2019

nearly everything ? Unless there is an ongoing case it should be released entirely..especially about any ‘un indicted co conspirators’

/  March 23, 2019

I imagine some redactions will be made for security reasons, particularly where foreign espionage or intelligence is concerned.

• Duker

/  March 23, 2019

Trump can declassify anything. Plus they can provide Congress intelligence comittees with parts that are sensitive

3. Reply
  4. High Flying Duck

/  March 23, 2019

I hope Joe Bloggs has supportive friends to get over the impending disappointment. Or maybe there are bombshells to come?

/  March 23, 2019

I think Joe’s support networks are extensive. I’m sure they’ll come up with something, … anything.

• David

/  March 23, 2019

Over the last few weeks I have been getting more and more concerned for Joe Bloggs, I dont think its the outcome he has been led to believe from some of those excitable websites he frequents. Still there is a trip planned in 2020 apparently for the flat earthers for him to look forward to.

5. High Flying Duck

• Duker

/  March 23, 2019

They are still working on some cases, the report doesn’t mean that there are others still under investigation are closed. Greenwald is just a shill for WikiLeaks and it’s apologists

/  March 23, 2019

Dem state prosecutors are mounting politically motivated cases against Trump but I doubt they’ll go anywhere since Trump is busy appointing judges. Mueller is finished.

• High Flying Duck

/  March 24, 2019

The fact remains, the number of indictments for collusion remains at zero. The known cases are also not collusion related.
        But the report is not released and Seth Abrahams is still doing multi-tweet monologues about how Meuller, who was pretty important before the report was released, is actually but a tiny, tiny cog in the overall scheme of investigations that are DEFINITELY going to bring down Trump.
        He even mentions the entirely discredited and highly embarrassing Betina investigation as one of the ones still ongoing that could yield results.

Fill your boots if you want to keep up the hope. It gets a little unhinged and includes a large number of hypotheticals, but if that’s what it takes…:

/  March 23, 2019

Curious it was released on Friday evening. Attempt to bury good news?

7. Karen

/  March 23, 2019

Pete G, you are undoubtedly a good a descent person who strives hard to bring honesty and balance to all you do.

I genuinely appreciate you and all this blog represents and achieves.

But my god you have a blind spot when it comes to Trump.

I no longer read your posts pertaining to him as they are so deeply rooted in the American mainstream media bias.

I read this one today and here we are again…

CNN.

Really?

Today, Trump supporters are cock a hoop at his ‘vindication’ but….

CNN.

And I dont even like Trump, never have and never will, long long time before he was political I had my thoughts on him squared away and they were not positive… but the bias against him is ridiculous.

Sorry to be a downer Pete but in absolutely every other instance or topic I can think of you seek out all views and are balanced.

But not on this, not on Trump.

• Fair comment. Trump is doing some good – all presidents do – but I don’t like him as a person or as a president. I think he sets a very poor example and treats too many people very poorly, lies far more blatantly than anything I’ve seen from a president or political leader.

So I won’t hide that. Others here defend and promote him, so there’s a bit of balance form there, but I won’t hide my opinion of him.

But I don’t know where you got your quote from CNN from, I don’t think I have posted anything like that.

• FarmerPete

/  March 24, 2019

What she said!

8. Karen

/  March 23, 2019

Sorry Pete, my reference to CNN was the link to: CNN “This was the last week of the Trump presidency as we know it”

Trump is not a great person but the never ending hysteria against him is not good either.

I’d love sane policy debates to work out who might be the next US President but just don’t see any sign of that coming from the US media….and bizzarly that just plays into Trumps hands as his base just counter balances the bias and gives him what is effectively a free pass to compensate.

Love him or hate him the way this is playing out is not good for any of us.

• I think it’s far too soon to know who might be in the serious running for next US president. Obviously Trump could stand again, but there’s a bunch of Democrat hopefuls already campaigning and it’s 19 months until the election. I’m not much interested in that at this stage.

If you want something about that discussed you can post about it in World View, or send me a guest post.

9. Karen

Cheers Pete,

I appreciate your (as usual) balanced and nuanced response (seriously, you know that is NOT common in the blogosphere…right?)

Im not sure I want to lead a post ‘defending’ Trump as..I simply don’t want to defend the guy.

It’s just the unbelievable amount of crap thrown at him is neither balanced or helpful to the overall conversation.

/  March 23, 2019

Karen, I agree which is why I try to provide some balance. The NZ media is utterly cluelessly hopeless and unless we do better most NZers will be left dumbfounded and uncomprehending all over again when Trumpy gets reelected.

• duperez

/  March 23, 2019

Is there some sort of proportionate thing going on? Like the amount of crap thrown at Trump is in some sort of ratio to the amount of crap he throws at the world?

10. The Consultant

/  March 24, 2019

Pushes open door to playroom. See’s how quiet it is. Where’s Joe Bloggs and the other usual suspects. Where are the happy cries?

“Bombshell”
    “Watershed”
    “Turning-point”
    “The walls are closing in”

Wonder if we’ll see any of these phrases used by the MSM in response to this report? Wonder if we’ll see any of them acknowledge what tits they made of themselves.

• Pink David

/  March 24, 2019

“Where’s Joe Bloggs and the other usual suspects. Where are the happy cries?”

Here;

11. MaureenW

/  March 24, 2019

What will the new anti-Trump playbook contain now that Russian collusion is a dead duck. Will William Barr go after those involved in creating and perpetuating this myth?

12. The Consultant

/  March 24, 2019

I just can’t get over how quiet it is here on this subject.

Why it’s almost as if people are too embarrassed to continue trying to argue, but also too prideful to actually apologise or acknowledge error, bias, bigotry, ignorance and abject stupidity.

It’s actually another part of the reason so many millions voted for Trump: he’s the doppleganger of all these people and their pleas of have you no decency, sir? Trump has no decency, but unlike schmucks like the Bush family, he knows that his enemies – which is 90% of the Democrat Party and the MSM, have none either. Not a shred.

/  March 24, 2019

It’s basically a replay of Trump’s election: stunned silence and tears.

Enjoy.

13. Trevors_Elbow

/  March 24, 2019

Ooooooppppss… moving on … nothing to see here…. he is odious so lets dig somewhere else and hope we find some (Dem Prosecutors in a few states)….

So. Questions: IF Mueller has found zero evidence what does that make the dossier? Who paid for it? Why? Does its financing, publishing and promoting constitute any type of crime under USA Law? And if it does will we see any States Attorney etc go after the people behind the dossier? Was the dossier a smokescreen to divert people from any wrong doings by Democrats in terms of collusion with foreign powers and/or foreign powers financing Democratic politic campaigning activity?

Frnakly find Trump a boorish, nasty Yank archetype – but the American people via their electoral system voting him President of the USA. The TDS and extreme bitterness from his opponents shows them as not fit to lead – they are just unbalanced in a different way.

Looking forward to YNZ’s ongoing coverage of the investigations that will now be sponsored by the Republicans into what the Democrats were up to under the waning days of the Obama presidency….

• MaureenW

/  March 24, 2019

Nellie Ohr, Glen Simpson, Bruce Ohr, Comey and McCabe have plenty to answer for. I read somewhere recently that Christopher Steele was only asked to lend his name to the dossier to give it some credibility.

14. seer

/  March 24, 2019

“As for Marcy Wheeler, Rachel Maddow and other dimwits who peddled the Russiagate nonsense I agree with the advice Catlin Johnstone gives:

Every politician, every media figure, every Twitter pundit and everyone who swallowed this moronic load of bull spunk has officially discredited themselves for life.

The people who steered us into two years of Russiavape insanity are the very last people anyone should ever listen to ever again when determining the future direction of our world.”

15. Respectfully, I never want to see Mr Mueller’s face again. What are we to think as citizens of a man who ruins a career general like Flynn, but ignores He’s destruction of evidence, 30k emails, and dozens of felonious crimes. As a historian, I lean towards the supposition that Mueller is just doing the job he has repeatedly done during his career; whitewash and distract from flagrant violations of the law by the Clintons. He kept a trial going for 2 years based on a fictional dossier, illegally run through the FISA court by the FBI and DOJ, and paid for by the Democrats and Hillary 2016 campaign. He, like most American news sources, have lost their credibility. Thanks!