Dunedin student charge with making ‘anti-Muslim slurs”

A student with name suppression appeared in the Dunedin District Court yesterday where he admitted a charge of disorderly behaviour (likely to cause violence).

ODT:  Anti-Muslim slurs day after attack

A Dunedin student has admitted making expletive-laden anti-Muslim slurs just one day after the terrorist attack in Christchurch.

The student admitted a charge of disorderly behaviour (likely to cause violence), which holds a maximum penalty of three months’ imprisonment or a fine of $2000.

Police saw the man on the street in the student sector yelling words to the effect of: “Muslims are not welcome in our country, go home Muslims!”

Other revellers told officers there had been repeated earlier slurs too.

Police, who were patrolling areas around the mosque, were on Castle St, clearing up to 200 people from the road.

At the intersection with Dundas St, the defendant approached their vehicle and shouted his racist message.

“He yelled this repeatedly amongst the crowd of people on the street,” police said.

The teen was firmly told that his comments were “inappropriate and insensitive”.

However, the defendant was unapologetic, stating he was entitled to his opinion and freedom of speech.

He accused officers of trying to intimidate them and accused them of being “right-wing fascists”.

While this discussion was ongoing, three women told police that earlier in the evening the teenager had repeatedly shouted “f*** the Muslims”.

Others on the street began to abuse the defendant for his comments and police arrested him.

What this person was doing was awful and inappropriate. Is arresting him the best way to deal with it? In those circumstances it may have been.

Defence counsel Andrew More told the court his client’s father was at yesterday’s hearing and had been “surprised and disappointed” in his son’s behaviour.

Judge Michael Crosbie called it “no more or less than overt racism”.

It’s kind of weird for me to see this – I have appeared before Judge Crosbie (in the dock once), and Mr More appeared  for private prosecutor Dermot Nottingham at one hearing when applications were made to have the charges dismissed (charges were withdrawn at the next hearing).

He refused to sentence the teenager on the spot because he wanted to know what the repercussions would be with the University of Otago.

A university spokesman said any students who committed criminal offences were dealt with once any court process had concluded.

The student will be sentenced in June. The charge has a maximum penalty of three months’ imprisonment or a fine of $2000.

1. adamsmith1922

/  6th April 2019

So why do we need new Hate Speech laws again?

2. David

/  6th April 2019

When are they going to arrest the Imam for his appalling anti semitic rants.

/  6th April 2019

semites-‘a member of any of various ancient and modern peoples originating in southwestern Asia, including the Akkadians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs. ‘

• adamsmith1922

Deflection

fact.

• adamsmith1922

/  6th April 2019

Yes your comment was factual as both of us know. However,another fact is that Antisemitism is commonly used as a term referring to anti Jewish comment and actions. Again a fact that I suggest we both know. Therefore, either deal with the substance of the earlier comment or just keep quiet.

/  6th April 2019

what are the guidelines for anti semitic comment?

• Kimbo

/  6th April 2019

what are the guidelines for anti semitic comment?

Like obscenity, and irrespective of guidelines, the best test is “I know it when I see it”.

Having said that, some ultra-Zionist apologists would, dissembling and denials to the contrary, like to classify any criticism of the modern state of Israel as anti-Semitism (see the reaction to our co-sponsoring of UNSC2334), just as the more strident pro-Palestinian activists or foul conspiracy theorists want to peddle the Protocols of Zion, Holocaust denial and alt-right neo-Nazi propaganda free of the anti-(Jewish) Semitism critique.

/  6th April 2019

AIPAC ‘see it’ everywhere and have a dedicated organisation to attach the anti semite label to any critique of Israel according to ex Mossad agent Victor Ostrovsky.

• Kimbo

/  6th April 2019

Yep, hence I mentioned that as one extreme best worth ignoring for a definition of anti-Semitism. But then acknowledging the AIPAC are a Jewish American/pro-Israeli lobby group does not justify the other extreme of the “define anti-Semitism” divide, that it is evidence of a sinister international Jewish cabal intent on subjugating Gentiles…

/  6th April 2019

who has presented this so called ‘other extreme’?

• Kimbo

/  6th April 2019

But suspecting, even accusing the current Likud-lead government of engaging in an unofficial yet real policy of aiding and abetting Jewish settlement of the West Bank, including east Jerusalem, as a means of annexation by stealth and increment, thus deliberately minimising the possibility of a negotiated viable independent Palestinian state at some point in the future? Um, I think that’s a fact, and I consider it a just criticism of Israeli policy, not anti-Semitism…no matter what the AIPAC, Christian Dispensationalists or Benjamin Netanyahu might say.

/  6th April 2019

you are all over the place now…’ that it is evidence of a sinister international Jewish cabal intent on subjugating Gentiles…’.

• Kimbo

/  6th April 2019

who has presented this so called ‘other extreme’?

You serious? Do some research on the alt-right, the allegation that 9/11 was a Mossad false flag job, who is allegedly behind the migration policies enabling, “the great replacement”, and how the Protocols of Zion have received a great upsurge of interest in the Middle East.

Hence, while it is sad and hopefully untypical of the NZ Muslim community, someone in a high position in a NZ mosque speculated publicly that the weapons used on March 15 were maybe supplied by the Mossad. And that I would suggest is anti-Semitism.

• Kimbo

/  6th April 2019

Blazer, you seem to be ignorant of the fact that the Protocols of the Elders of Zion (google it) have undergone renewed interest, especially in the Middle East, and also within the alt-right new Nazis in the West. Hence, as per the alt-right, the alleged Jewish architects of the immigration policies that allegedly enable the “great replacement”, and peddle conspiracies such as 9/11 was a Mossad “false flag” operation.

Hence it is sad, and hopefully not typical of the NZ Muslim community, but not that surprising that one person with a high position in a local mosque speculated publicly that the weapons used in the March 15 attack were supplied by the Mossad.

By any reasonable those plot theories are…anti-Semitic.

/  6th April 2019

You would be aquainted with the M.O of Mossad I presume.

• Kimbo

/  6th April 2019

As per Norman Finkelstein, I’m making the point that one can talk of a “Jewish lobby” (just as there is a gun lobby, faming lobby, pro-life lobby…), but that doesn’t make one an anti-Semite conspiracy theorist as per those who historically have believed and peddled the Protocols of Zion (the Russian Tasrists who carried our pogroms, the French anti-Semites involved in the Dreyfus Affair, the Nazis).

• Kimbo

/  6th April 2019

…he M.O of Mossad…It is not such far fetched speculation, in a world of misinformation,disinformation,cultivated propaganda and …’fake’ news.

…and with that comment you’ve just forfeited the privilege of my time, and engagement, Byeeeeee

/  6th April 2019

what privelege!! :(…. did you ever find WMD in Iraq?

/  6th April 2019

My recollection from the two short video clips I have seen was that he blamed Mossad as being behind the massacre, not Jews, per se.

Ludicrous, to be sure, but Mossad is generally accepted on reasonable evidence to be clearly involved in a past rash of murders of several Iranian nuclear scientists in various parts of the world, & strongly suspected of direct involvement in other unexplained murders of various “enemies of Israel”.

Nevertheless, I did find that disturbing & I am picking up the occasional vibe of anti-Western sentiment in one or two comments I have heard on telly from younger male Muslims since Tarrant’s muderous rampage.

Something I didn’t realise was the extent to which Muslim women wearing the hijab have been subjected to abuse in public. It appears, basically, all of them have. That must be extremely stressful & frightening when it happens repeatedly. And I suspect it happens more commonly to them than to male Muslims.

• adamsmith1922

/  6th April 2019

One might legitimately argue that accusing Mossad, is not In itself Antisemitism as understood by many. However,I would suggest that many people would assume it was an anti Jew remark,given the history between Muslims and Jews, especially since the establishment of Israel.
        Unfortunately, truth and reality lose to the perception of history.

/  6th April 2019

The problem is a complex one there because of the important distictions between Zionists, ordinary Israelis, & Jews (lost, or ignored, imo, on people like Minto & Corky & US Christian fundamentalists, aming others). And how the conflict, occupation, suppression & continuing land seizures are now inextricably bound up & exploited by external & internal religionists from the two religions, which is one of the bases for their respective adherents’ & peoples’ claims to the land. I see no happy solution there.

/  6th April 2019

He was, of course, mistaken, but was in a state of shock and distress that none of us can even begin to imagine.

The boy will probably pay the $2000, or mummy and daddy will.

It may be a way to encourager les autres.

3. Corky

/  6th April 2019

An inconsiderate little waster for sure. But that’s true free speech in action. I’m sure if he had be left to his own devices his speech would have been ‘regulated’ by someone sooner or later. That of course raises another problem.

/  6th April 2019

Free speech doesn’t mean total license. We don’t know what else he said, but I’d guess it was pretty bad. In the circumstances (fifty people murdered, almost as many more wounded) I’d say that he should have been silenced. In some situations, free speech takes a back seat.

/  6th April 2019

That young human ape student at the very least seems to be seriously lacking something vitally important in the cognitive function.

/  6th April 2019

Certainly disorderly behaviour but the only violence it was likely to cause would be a punch on the nose for the offender.

6. Duker

/  6th April 2019

No one seems to have looked up the offence -Disorderly behaviour
    here it is in Summary Offences Act

3 Disorderly behaviour
    Every person is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or a fine not exceeding $2,000 who,
    in or within view of any public place,
    behaves, or incites or encourages any person to behave,
    in a riotous, offensive, threatening, insulting, or disorderly manner
    that is likely in the circumstances
    to cause violence against persons or property to start or continue.

So it doesnt seem to be just a ‘spoken’ words behavior but is also likely ‘to cause violence against persons or property to start or continue”

7. Norm Grey

/  6th April 2019

I cannot cope with the idea that I cannot have the freedom to express my opinion – which like all opinions is based upon what I have lived, read, heard and seen etc.
    No one has lived my life and so my opinion is as significant as anyone else’s who have done the same thing.
    Any censoring of my written or verbal responses indicates control and/or manipulation and denial of my freedom to respond and also implies that someone else knows better than me.

For 75 years I have believed that NZ was a democratic country and allowed independent freedom to research and examine situations etc and make independent opinions.
    It now seems that someone is now going to do it for me and I am going to have accede to their decisions.and opinions. Obviously my next move – is to North Korea!
    Norman Grey

/  6th April 2019

Let us know what you think of the place & how their house prices compare after you’ve got settled in?

I wouldn’t immigrate there because, for a start, I don’t like their music. And quite a few other reasons, which also make me think you’d still like it better here than there.

/  6th April 2019

Their Adored Angelic Leader cheats at golf, as Trump does.

• Kimbo

/  6th April 2019

Yeah, but I’m fairly sure the North Korean government would not let Norman Grey get away with saying or writing, let alone (if they suspected him) even thinking that about their leader. Whereas in Washington DC or Manhattan dinner parties, raising Trump’s golfing ethics as the topic of conversation will make one a paragon of wit, taste and insight.

/  7th April 2019

(seriously) What pleasure would one derive from such an obvious lie ? I could pretend that I WON Mastermind, but I’d know that I didn’t, and that if anyone looked up the winners, they’d know that they weren’t me. (I was a contestant)

I could add a degree to my collection and give myself a PhD, but it would mean nothing to me !

My dog won Pet of the Month in Sunday News !

/  6th April 2019

the beauty of western democracy is that you can have your own ‘opinion’ but it doesn’t account for..shyte.

8. duperez

/  6th April 2019

From another perspective …. the person is a student. On the evidence, a student of great intellect? A top scholar? Or a f’wit?