Tamaki apologises for years of offensive remarks about gay people

Perhaps it’s a double epiphany, perhaps it’s political pragmatism, but Brian Tamaki has apologised for past remarks about gay people, and he and his wife (and leader of the new NZ Coalition Party) “are encouraging respectful treatment and understanding of gay people.”

“After years of anti-gay rhetoric, Brian and Hannah Tamaki are encouraging respectful treatment and understanding of gay people.”

Stuff: Destiny Church’s Brian Tamaki apologises to gay community

Destiny Church leader Brian Tamaki has apologised for years of offensive remarks about gay people.

In an extraordinary admission of regret, Tamaki said: “I said ‘I want to include something with the gay community’. We don’t want our children or our children’s children to carry those unresolved issues.”

“I think everybody remembers 2004,” he said, referring to the Enough is Enough marches against the civil union bill.

The self-proclaimed bishop voiced some regret at how he and Destiny had behaved in the early 2000s.

He said if he had another chance: “we’d do some things differently. It has never been my intent to cause hurt or harm.”

He blamed news media for what he called misconceptions about the church.

After the event, Tamaki said some people told him he shouldn’t have apologised.

“But I’m bigger than that.”

He said he was sincere about treating members of the Rainbow community with kindness.

He was asked if he believed gay people went to hell.

“I don’t go around talking like that. I don’t say that. I’ve never said that.”

In 2016, Tamaki blamed earthquakes on “gays, sinners and murderers“.

On Saturday night he said he did not believe homosexual activity in any way caused earthquakes.

A big step forward for the Tamakis, perhaps.

Next Post

/  2nd June 2019

Yes. Hopefully it is sincere.

2. Blazer

/  2nd June 2019

Tamaki = reality cartoon character.

/  2nd June 2019

Did you see what I took to be the church (sic) with a red Harley in front of the altar (?) where other churches have crosses, music that made the words of Brian T all but intelligible (not much loss) and what looked like a barbecue heater ? The whole thing looked like a sci-fi props room. Mrs T was singing, and wearing an unflattering short dress with orange gumboots.

• Fight4NZ

/  3rd June 2019

A common trait in rwnj’s.

3. Duker

/  2nd June 2019

Cue all the video clips of his ‘going to hell sermons’. Im sure they are all online, hes that type of ‘pastor’

/  2nd June 2019

Well, as the only ‘artworks’ (for want of a better word) on Destiny’s walls are large studio portraits of the Tamakis…..

4. alloytoo

/  2nd June 2019

Lets not forget, the Tamaki’s are predators, not prey.

/  2nd June 2019

The first entry in the notes that he made when he first began as a pastor at wherever it was is how much the collection raised.

5. Corky

/  2nd June 2019

Wrong move by Brian…he’s disregarding what the bible says about homosexuals. That will cost him parishioners. Worse, those ex gangbangers won’t be happy. Has this man not watched the internalisation of the Anglican Church over issues of women clergy and gays?

‘disintegration.”

• Duker

/  2nd June 2019

Women clergy has caused disintegration of the Anglican Church?

schism…. thats a first in the church … can you imagine the ruckus divorce would cause if they did that ….. wait , it has happened

6. David

/  2nd June 2019

Good on him. Hilary Clinton voted against marriage equality then came around when it was politically expedient too, the Anglicans are tying themselves in knots over this at the moment so who knows perhaps there is hope that church,s are starting to see the light.
    If one is to believe we are all equal in gods eyes and made in his image it seems weird not to accept everyone.

• Duker

/  2nd June 2019

Bishop Tamaki isnt supposed to be the politician , isnt it Hannah who is ‘party leader’ and be flexible ?

Its not really comparable to ‘Eisenhower republican’ Hilary Clinton flip flopping over marriage as an elected politician.

/  2nd June 2019

Do you never change your mind about things ?

• David

/  2nd June 2019

I dint infer she was flip flopping it was a short hand way of saying that society moves on quicker than the politicians and perhaps organised religion is the last one to be accepting and its starting to.

/  2nd June 2019

You didn’t infer it, no. It’s hard to infer something from one’s own words. Inferring means drawing a conclusion.

7. duperez

/  2nd June 2019

One newscast had Tamaki saying they “weren’t going to live in the past.”

Well, except for that hot off the press thing “The Bible” I guess ! 😊

/  2nd June 2019

He must have meant that they were going to live for the presents, er, present.

(to the tune of ‘I’m h-a-p-p-y.’

B – I – S – H – O – P (x 2)
      Ordained myself
      For extra pelf,
      B – I – S – H – O – P !

I am R – I – C – H (x 2)
      How rich am I ?
      Well, you’d just die !
      I am R- I – C – H !

H – A – R – L – E – Ys (x 2)
      With ninetyfour,
      I need some more
      H – A – R – L – E – Ys.

and so forth and so fifth