Pervading judgment of same-sex affection

Sad that she feels judged for showing same-sex affection in public.

It’s a big thing for Chlöe to say this publicly. While much of the response was supportive, it was inevitable that some took swipes at her.

Ironically @RantySeniors describes themselves: “We love Sun Wine Food Politics and Interesting People”.

Unfortunately humans are often judgemental, and not just on same-sex issues.

This can be magnified for politicians who are in the public glare, especially when political intolerance is added to something like same-sex intolerance.

Previous Post

1. David

/  3rd June 2019

Dear God please save us from privileged elitist 1%ers having a sook about made up slights to gain support and hits on Twitter.
    I honestly thought Swarbrick might gain/have a little more substance but clearly shouldnt be a lawmaker, she doesn’t have the fortitude if a perceived look is going to cause her a meltdown.
    Can you imagine how many “looks” Judith Collins would get on daily basis when out with her husband but you probably wont find her crying on Twitter about racists.

• You’re jumping to some big conclusions there. Based on what? Guesses? Prejudices?

• David

/  3rd June 2019

She walked down a street and thought someone looked at her funny and leapt on to Twitter to cry about it, seriously you dont think she is a snowflake with no resilience.
        As the twitter person said she could have been looked at funny because she is a Green politician and the face of the dope law, it could have been one of those looks where the person thought they recognized them but wernt sure. It could have been someone with bitchy resting face, someone having a bad day, someone recently split with their same sex partner.
        Nope Chloe goes straight to the virtue signal and my guess is it never happened or it was a curious look.

/  3rd June 2019

Greens walk,ride bikes,use public transport.

Judith and her cronies would not be seen dead outside a …ministerial/govt limousine.

I am with you, David,

I would guess that people were glancing at her because she looked familiar and were not that fascinated by who was with her. Not many people are that interested in people being gay nowadays, surely.

Unless Blazer knows that Judith Collins and others never go anywhere but by limousine (highly unlikely) his opinion is just spite.

2. David

As beloved leftists politico Bill Maher puts it

“In March, Maher also denounced social justice warriors as a “cancer on progressivism,” arguing they care neither about truth nor justice. “I don’t think they’re interested in justice; I don’t think they’re interested in truth; I think they’re interested in clicks,” he said. “I think they’re interested in things that make people click, and when I read them it makes me glad I didn’t have kids who would see this. ”

And these people are designing and implementing legislation on vast parts of our lives when they struggle to walk down a street in one of the most accepting countries on earth without melting down.

• She is making a point (or two). I don’t see it as anything like ‘melting down’. And I don’t see how you can presume how things feel for someone else in a situation I presume you have no experience with.

• David

/  3rd June 2019

I have a good mate with a deformity and he is always getting “looks” but he is resilient enough not to tell everyone every time it happens. He deals with life with humour and gets on with things, people look and then move on.
        I think Chloe is being pathetic and a little attention seeker, I would imagine 99% of women would say the same thing about her.

• I think you’re being judgemental. Maybe she has a point.

• David

/  3rd June 2019

I think maybe you think I am perhaps because as a young lady and she is legislating on cannabis so she needs protecting rather than being called out. If she is to lead a debate on cannabis reform or any other important or controversial legislation then she needs to be more resilient or step aside for someone with better leadership abilities.
            This is not some 16 year old school girl she is an adult woman who sits in our parliament. It behooves us to point that out to her so she is better equipped for life and not pander to her.

• Fight4NZ

/  3rd June 2019

Yep, you leapt at the call for justice admirably by taking the hard stand on this! Not an ounce of pathetic attention seeking on your part.

/  3rd June 2019

She can’t have it both ways. Not long ago she was congratulating herself on the fact that her sexuality wasn’t being blazoned across the press (as if anyone would be that interested) but she is the one who gratutiously draws attention to it.

/  3rd June 2019

I avoid Twitter because so much of what’s on it is whining or shit stirring.

• There’s a lot of that.

And you don’t get it here?

• David

/  3rd June 2019

After that comment PG I am going to dive on to Twitter and have a cry, whiners and shit stirrers are people too.

/  3rd June 2019

Yep, I see it here. But these days I’m tending more & more to skip over it.

3. Speaking as someone who looks in the north Lambton/parliamentary quarter, I do think there’s is a strong possibility she was getting looks because of her public profile… MPs simply do get looks when out and about.

Having said that, the queer community can still be subjected to looks like that in a public place. So highlighting queer perspectives is laudable, but there’s no guarantee her particular situation was homophobia or “look a public profile” instance.

/  3rd June 2019

I’d probably look at two same sex partners holding hands. I tend to look at any couples holding hands, including heteros. But generally just a glance & a smile.

I’ve noticed it’s quite common for Chinese female friends who aren’t couples to hold hands.

I’d certainly look at any well-known celebrity or politician to see if it’s really them.

You only have to be in a wheelchair or have a limp or be different in any way from the norm around you to get looked or stared at.

/  3rd June 2019

I have walked down the street or been seen in public with enough MPs to know that people do look,…at the MP, not the unknown person with them.

Yes, people who hold hands are noticed. But when two astonishingly beautiful young men walked down the main street of Hamilton hand in hand, they didn’t seem to be attracting hostile looks, just admiring ones. They had a radiance about them, they seemed to glow.

4. Blazer

/  3rd June 2019

public displays of affection by people of any sexual persuasion are not really met with widespread public approval.

• Ray

/  3rd June 2019

What a strange world you inhabit Blaze!
      People in love, what’s not to like.

/  3rd June 2019

surprised you don’t mind couples drooling all over each other in public places Ray….or should that be….dawg!

• David

/  3rd June 2019

I love seeing couples holding hands etc. And in any combination.

/  3rd June 2019

There is a huge difference between holding hands and being all over each other with tongues down throats and hands everywhere. A hug is one thing, ‘frottage’ is another.

5. Norman Grey

/  3rd June 2019

Perhaps it says something a bit different ie Chloe has just proved what many of us have thought – that she is far too young, too naïve and inexperienced, too narrow in her perspectives, and now – also too thin-skinned, shallow and “green” to be to cope with the very public nature of the position she has chosen to be in.

/  3rd June 2019

She can’t have it both ways, but she seems to be trying.

/  3rd June 2019

Wasn’t there. Don’t know. Don’t care. We all make our own choices in life and live with the consequences. That includes where to hold hands and who with, who to smile at and who to ignore. If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

/  3rd June 2019

Don’t take public office if you don’t want to be public.

7. oldlaker

/  3rd June 2019

When I was her age I had long hair and a beard (which was still unusual then) and expected (and wanted) to mark myself out as different. It was a source of pride to be stared at and occasionally jeered at by what I considered to be less evolved/more conventional people.
    My brother wore an earring in his ear a long time before it was fashionable and got the same sort of attention (which he expected).
    Chloe’s complaining seems odd for a young person who knows holding hands with her female lover might attract “looks”. It’s still unusual enough to appear slightly transgressive to some people. Surely she can work that out for herself.
    I guess it’s part of the same syndrome of women who wear skimpy clothing designed to attract attention then complain vociferously about attracting “looks”.

/  3rd June 2019

I do NOT watch Dancing With the Stars, but saw a minute or so of it tonight…one judge was wearing a jacket open to the waist with nothing under it and most of her breasts visible. You can’t tell me that anyone wearing it wouldn’t realise that it would attract attention.

8. oldlaker

/  4th June 2019

I’m very sorry, Kitty, but you are clearly guilty of “slut-shaming”! This woman has the absolute right to sit completely naked at the judges’ table and have no one comment on that fact…