Open Forum – 20 January

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

1. A sensible idea making it easy to use irrigation systems as a source of water for fire fighting:

By simply attaching a firehose fitting to his irrigation system, James Russell hopes he could help save lives.

It’s just like a fire hydrant you’d find in any main town, with a hose fitting, a tap handle and a water supply.

Those on the frontline think the new fitting is a game-changer.

“The fact that we could probably fill a tanker in minutes opposed to 20 minutes to half an hour… or the fact we wouldn’t have to be gone so long, it would make a significant difference,” firefighter Mark Reid told 1 NEWS.

/  20th January 2020

Too many people equate technological advancement with complexity. Yet it seems to me solutions for problems and technological advancements become simpler as things evolve.

2. Corky

/  20th January 2020

Good news – Mikey is on deck.
    Bad news – So is ‘The Project.’
    Good news – I have a choice as to who I may watch or listen to. But if the government had its way, listening to National Socialist Radio would be mandatory.

Talking of the government. Mikey was commenting on the defence budget coming under review for possible savings to fund ‘wellness’ objectives. I can’t find any current article about that so maybe Mikey is in shock being back at work after a holiday of excesses and good Tory living.

/  20th January 2020

Good news ..Mikey was not missed.
      Bad news Mikey is now..on deck for those incapable of forming an opinion..themselves.

• duperez

/  20th January 2020

How sad is it that some are so conditioned to operating in mandatory environments that it’s half way through January before ‘Mikey’ makes them realise they actually have a choice as to who and what they watch or listen to from the almost infinite number of options. 😊

/  20th January 2020

Some people are slow learners, Duper. I prefer to have my news predigested and prepared for me by an approved RIGHT source. Saves me time and effort. 😀

/  20th January 2020

Most of us prefer to make up our own minds rather than being fed like gannets on digested food, as we don’t regard thinking as an effort.

Which station is the Nazi one ? National Socialist is the name of the Nazi party.

/  20th January 2020

I forgot to add: ‘and its better than listening to commentators and bloggers who are thick as a brick and have the personality of a grey brick wall. We all know them.’

/  20th January 2020

Well, yes, we do know who these people are, which is why we don’t listen to Mike Hosking and his fawning admirers if we can help it.Or listen to talkback radio and think that this is informed news and political reporting. Or believe everything we see online.This is where the educated part company with the, er, less educated.

For anyone capable of logical thought, the idea of being fed ready-made ideas by someone else rather than use our own intelligence and judgement is very unappealing. I am sure that it’s easier to regurgitate Mike Hosking’s ready-made ideas than to think for oneself, but for those of us who are capable of original thought and analysing information, it’s not an option.

3. Corky

/  20th January 2020

My guess ( repeat guess) is somebody on the alleged Left is becoming desperate. All that trouble for three laptops? $30 to 100 bucks if sold at the pub. Of course they were encrypted so someone wants a crack at decrypting them. They must have some mighty powerful software. But what are they after?

4. Corky

/  20th January 2020

Well, this is awkward. Right in the Minister Of Police’s backyard. Yep, those gun laws are working. Meanwhile, law abiding gun owners are not renewing their licenses.

This government has to go.

• duperez

/  20th January 2020

I presume law abiding gun owners are not renewing their licences because they no longer see a need to keep a gun or guns. If they are keeping their guns and don’t have licences are they law abiding gun owners?

/  20th January 2020

No, they are not renewing their licences because they have had a gutsful of this woke government..

”If they are keeping their guns and don’t have licences are they law abiding gun owners?”

No, they have become patriots. That is probably something you don’t understand.

Here, let me explain:

/  20th January 2020

By that reasoning, burglars and drunk drivers are patriots, because they dislike obeying laws that don’t suit them.

These people are breaking the law just as much as any other criminal is. They are no different to gang members who have illegal firearms.

5. lurcher1948

/  20th January 2020

HI PG all the righties call our PM Jacinda Ardern”Comrade” or a communist, CAN SOMEONE POST a picture of Jacinda getting instructions from any communists but there’s pictures of Simon Bridges SO EMBARRASSING, DONATIONS FROM THE CCP, and they call her the PTPM part time PM,this from TASK FORCE simon bridges overseas in the Philippines at this time, country of legal killing squads, getting thoughts

/  20th January 2020

Lurchy… I’m going to pass the hat around to see if we can rustle up enough moola to get you a ticket to the Philippines. Hopefully we would only need enough for a one-way ticket.😃

6. adamsmith1922

For something completely different, my thoughts on Mr and Mre Markle

/  20th January 2020

I wonder what Mrs M’s response to hearing that her title has gone as well as much of the income was. I don’t envy whoever had to break the news.

I don’t blame the Canadians who don’t want to pay for the privilege of having the entitled pair there. Why should they ?

7. National claim a break-in at a party office in Auckland. It could be serious, but…

/  20th January 2020

I hate to agree with someone who looks like Arty’s cousin…but the guy is RIGHT. When it comes to ideas the harddrive will be bare.

8. Corky

/  20th January 2020

Today I was thinking about how the Muslim community would react to Brenton Tarrants right to view a draft inquiry into the Christchurch shootings. I was thinking there will be angst around what Muslims perceive as unequal rights for them compared to Tarrant. Three News confirmed the fears I have. My guess is many Muslims while professing understanding of our judicial system will secretly not understand it. [Deleted – that’s a bad presumably based on nothing assumption. Don’t speak for others, especially like that. PG] I must confess I find it hard to disagree. If not handled properly this trial could become a flash point of discontent for Muslims. Woke liberals will then see a side of Islam they’ll be ill prepared to handle. If they thought Jacinda had absolved us infidels from blame, they will be sorely disappointed.

9. ” A 1934 newspaper advertisement told Kiwis that, if they ate Red Diamond Oatlets for breakfast, they could achieve the ‘vigour, vitality, & vim’ of Mussolini, that ‘man of great will-power & force of character’.”

/  21st January 2020

Some exaggeration there. But the humble oat is certainly a superfood. People seem to think if isn’t from the Amazon jungle, it isn’t a superfood. Not so. Personally I can’t eat oats for breakfast. I find them to stodgy and bloating. Later in the day, no problem. My organic oats come from Southland. You would be surprised at the variety of supplements produced in the South Island that set the gold standard globally. From colostrum; unfiltered dairy whey to kelp products. All fetch top dollar overseas. Let’s forget about the doctored deer velvet saga.

But its not only the products top quality that’s a selling point….it’s also about NZ being GM free ( not quite true).That is, and will be, a conundrum we will sooner or later have to make a decisive decision on. My guess is we will eventually embrace GM, and scuttle our health supplement market that’s growing exponentially every year.

10. Corky

/  21st January 2020

About time the UE woke up. Palistine needs to remember who pays their bills. Their reaction to threatened sanctions shows how warped these peoples minds are.

We need to do the same to our Island cuzzies. However, things are little more complicated for us.

11. Patzcuaro

/  21st January 2020

Any chance that Trump will chill out at the movies with Greta Thunberg while they are both in Davos?

/  21st January 2020

I don’t see her as Lolita.

/  21st January 2020

Well, he wouldn’t be interested in someone who wasn’t a Lolita; he’s on video saying that young women who are mentally disturbed and have issues with their fathers are the best ones to have sex with; he was talking about teenagers. He was 60..

/  21st January 2020

I guess neither of us know if he is right, Kitty.

/  23rd January 2020

It is distasteful for any man to say that about young girls, and especially distasteful when he’s old enough to be their grandfather. The man is a misogynist in the real sense of the word, not the watered down, overused way it’s too often used. The idea of taking advantage of someone’s being disturbed and having sex with them is repellent.

/  24th January 2020

Do you have a link to this reported context? Google didn’t find anything for me.

/  21st January 2020

was Nelson Mandela a..terrorist?

12. Patzcuaro

/  21st January 2020

Don’t you think this descends to the same moral level as those you despise?

• Patzcuaro

/  21st January 2020

It did cross my mind but only after I posted it, but obsession with guns does indicate some personality issues. I think despise is a little strong.

/  21st January 2020

I think you can be a gun advocate without having a personality disorder. Either via sport or occupation you may be motivated to defend gun ownership. Or simply living in a society where the bad guys have a lot of guns the realistic rather than idealistic option may be to carry one too – as our police seem to be deciding.

• Patzcuaro

/  21st January 2020

I don’t have a problem with gun ownership, I own and use guns where necessary, but I see next to no need for private citizens to own semi automatic or automatic weapons.

/  21st January 2020

I can’t, either. What is their justification ?

• Patzcuaro

/  21st January 2020

And I see no need to march around cities carrying these type of weapons.

/  21st January 2020

I saw that on One News. My, how peaceful the march was ( from the coverage I saw). I wonder why that was?

Meanwhile in Hawke’s Bay Police have basically conceded they are outnumbered with gangbangers showing them absolutely no respect.

No shit, Sherlock! Here’s the answer one more time:

Legislate gangs as domestic terrorists and exterminate them if they don’t disband…which they won’t. So that makes things simple doesn’t it.

I would suggest the government hurry because I have been told a group of vigilantes is forming, and only cool heads are holding them back. I am yet to confirm this as talk is cheap.

/  21st January 2020

People are not terrorists unless they commit terrorist acts.

There is no chance of gangs being classed as as terrorists (their actions, even the criminal ones, are not in that category) and none of them being exterminated in mass murders as happened under Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot et al.

/  21st January 2020

Terrorism is the use of violence and intimidation against civilians for political means.

Gang members commit crimes, but these can hardly be called terrorism.

/  21st January 2020

I rest my case as to the idiocy of the average Kiwi. I’m sure the baby who was nearly hit by stray shrapnel will agree.

/  21st January 2020

Look up what terrorism actually is. This is gang warfare, not terrorism. It may terrify, but that doesn’t make it terrorism.

The idiocy is yours in refusing to see the difference between the two kinds of crime and their motivation. The IRA campaign was terrorism. The gangs are fighting each other and not trying to force a government change of policy like the IRA trying to make Ulster part of Eire again, If they were, you might have a point.

The toddler’s car seat was hit by a bullet, not shrapnel.

/  21st January 2020

Meanwhile in schools ? There’s only one stat missing from the article that would put things into sharp focus.

/  21st January 2020

Shotgun ellets, not a bullet. But it was not shrapnel, which is a different thing.

Pellets.

/  21st January 2020

Apparently the toddlers car seat was hit by a bullet and not shrapnel. Quite true. so let’s quibble. Does a bullet trump shrapnel? Depends, but I would have to say on balance it does.

/  21st January 2020

The only gun among the weapons taken to schools was a BB pistol.

This was easy enough to find.

Had actual guns been taken to schools, this would be most unlikely not to have been on the news.

/  21st January 2020

Now we know why I used the word shrapnel to start with.

/  21st January 2020

I corrected bullet to pellets immediately; it was a lapsus linguae.

As shotguns are not loaded with shrapnel, it’s hard to see why you used the word. I am not a gun owner, but even I know that shotguns have pellets and not shrapnel which is a different thing altogether.

Bullets are not shrapnel and nor are shotgun pellets.

Definition of weapon:

1: something (such as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy

Shrapnel
              noun
              fragments of a bomb, shell, or other object thrown out by an explosion.
              “he was killed by flying shrapnel

/  21st January 2020

That is stating the blindingly bleeding obvious. What is the point of repeating it when everyone knows it ?

It doesn’t prove that the weapons in the NZ schools were guns apart from the BB pistol which was no threat to anyone’s safety. Had they been, the article would certainly have said so. The fact that you seem to have thought they were means nothing. Weapons include guns by definition, but not all collections of weapons have guns in them.

/  21st January 2020

My previous comment referred to the definition of weapons.

The definition of shrapnel which we all, I suspect, know, merely disproves that shrapnel was used in the gang shooting, so it’s odd that it was included.

13. Patzcuaro

• duperez

/  21st January 2020

Often people grow up as they age. Is the graphic an example of that? Maybe the hair stopped a semblance of sensibility escaping.

• Pink David

/  23rd January 2020

His response to this was rather good;

“I was right then, and I’m more right now”.

14. Corky

/  21st January 2020

Maori are learning those liberals in Labour REALLY don’t like them that much.

Can National accommodate the Maori Party? Of course they can. Time to come home bros…to the party that isn’t condescending.

15. Corky

/  22nd January 2020

Talkback going berserk with Maori and Pakeha slugging it out over Ihumātao . Labour is losing votes as I write. Sean has been called a colonial racist pillager.

I have been saying all along this bs about race relations improving in NZ is just that..bs.

Thank God talkback is allowing these people to let off steam and have their views heard. You don’t get with other media. This is REAL NZ…with real people expressing their views.

16. Corky

/  22nd January 2020

Lol…President Trumpy said at Davos that the doom merchants of climate change are the modern version of fortune tellers – words to that affect. So, true. Why other pollies haven’t the balls to expound that simple truth is beyond me.

Then they showed that ghastly gesticulating muppet, Greta. The thing is..not one person broke out in a belly laugh???!! Watching their earnest demeanour was funny.

/  22nd January 2020

usually people laugh at things they find funny…like you!…Bol.

/  22nd January 2020

It’s a free world….I prefer a quiet snigger. I have many of those.

/  22nd January 2020

[It’s not for you to dump on others here. I’d rather have nothing here than that. PG]

17. Zedd

Oil Free Otago : meeting/protest in the Octagon at ‘high noon’ ! 🙂

/  23rd January 2020

I would guess that the word was spread by people using devices made from oil and that they will drive there in cars made from and fuelled by oil.

• Zedd

/  23rd January 2020

WRONG Kitty: I caught the bus & a few have electric vehicles & bicycles !
        > we are are NOT extremists.. just concerned citizens;
        have a nice day 🙂

• But you have a computer and the bus uses fuel. Computers can’t be made without oil as far as I know.

/  23rd January 2020

They can’t. Nor can phones, glasses, most appliances….unless things like fans are made of metal, they need oil, and if they are made of metal, this has to be mined and then refined.

I don’t want to go back to the days when eye glasses were made of glass and broke if they were dropped, or when phones & radios were made of wood and metal. I don’t want to brush my teeth with salt and a toothbrush made of pigs’ bristles. I don’t want to wash my hair with soap or be sunburnt if I can’t carry a sun umbrella or write with a wooden dip pen.

I would love to see people not buying new appliances all the time because a new model has appeared, or, as I had to, buying new phones because the telco has made their current one obsolete.

Why?

/  23rd January 2020

On second thoughts…let’s make Otago oil free. I wonder how long that would last? 24 hours?

/  23rd January 2020

Till Z goes under water because his swamp pumps stop working, he can’t afford a new electric car and there are no buses. The supermarket shelves are empty and the fishing fleet can’t leave port. Who would have thought?

18. Corky

/  23rd January 2020

Kate Hawkesby had a go. So has Sean. What is Labour doing holding a caucus retreat in
    Martinborough? Porirua or Palmy should be the natural home for such events. And Trevor Mallard. What was he doing there? He’s the speaker of the house. Of course these fine Tories were being facetious. Labour is Labour in name only. They have long ago moved on to wine, lattes and fine living. They wouldn’t be seen dead with the working class… except at election time. Time they stopped the pretence.

19. duperez

/  23rd January 2020

“They wouldn’t be seen dead with the working class… except at election time.”

/  23rd January 2020

Yes, but…Key has an excuse..he’s a Tory. Remind me what excuse Jacinda has? That aside, if I remember correctly National gave certain beanies a huge increase on their benefits.

20. Conspiratoor

/  23rd January 2020

Carter Holt closes its whangarei sawmill citing “He says they’re reluctant to shut the Whangarei mill – but the sawmill’s been facing log shortages for some time.”

Logging trucks continue to clog northland roads en route to the port. The pine forests are being stripped bare, in some places 5 years before they mature. The self styled ‘champion of the provinces’ is a caricature of a sick joke

Boiled frog anyone?

/  23rd January 2020

so log shortages is really the problem!

I think our friendly kiwi billionaire G.Hart still owns CH and his slash and burn policies =cut staff costs,procurement costs, to maximise profits means the time is ‘ripe’ for a Govt handout to ‘save’ this mill.

Its the Rio Tinto ‘put’ in..election year..fund..what fund!

21. Corky

/  23rd January 2020

This is disgusting. And the Red Cross of all charities. I missed my calling. I should have worked for a charity. It’s like ripping off finance company investors and not having to worry about being arrested.