Open Forum – Wednesday 1 April

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

1. Just realised it’s 1 April. I doubt there will be much April Fools Day pranking in media today.

Reposted from yesterday’s OF

If there is one thing Kiwis should know above all else during the coronavirus lockdown, it’s that we should stay at home.

There’s no getting away from it, in press conferences, on television ads – the message is clear.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has said the phrase 32 times during her live television broadcasts since the lockdown began on March 25.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has been praised for using inclusive language when framing her government’s response to the coronavirus pandemic.

And it’s how the Government has delivered that message to the country that could be behind Kiwis’ overwhelming acceptance of the strict measures that curtail our freedom, according to one psychology professor.

Not everyone’s on board – several people have been charged with flouting the rules, while dozens more have given poor excuses to police on why they are out when they shouldn’t be.

But overall, Kiwis are complying and are only too happy to dob in those who don’t.

Dr Virginia Braun, psychology professor at the University of Auckland, watched the pandemic unfold while in Spain and the United Kingdom before returning home.

New Zealand has been incredibly lucky to have leadership which spoke a collective language which in turn invoked collective psychology, she said.”

Good illustration of comments I made yesterday about how cleverly Jacinda manipulates a compliant young female-dominated msm & appeals to young women generally.

I’m not happy to dob in non-compliers, & I’m not happy about some of the bullshit & flannel Jacinda’s come out with over testing.

But there’s no doubt whatsoever that Jacs is the star of the show when she does sole stand up briefings alone. She’s supremely confident now, which is just as well – since some of her top lieutenants like Clark & Twyford are as useless as tits on a bull & just take up space if they appear with her.

/  1st April 2020

Wellington lives in its own little bubble broadcasting to the nation all mouth no ears.

The country won’t be fooled if the lockdown doesn’t work quickly and the kickback will be hard.

/  1st April 2020

I wonder how many of the over 70s who have been told that they MUST stay at home will vote Labour again. It’s soul-destroying for anyone living alone, imagine being told that they must not even go to the supermarket.

/  1st April 2020

in your case it will not matter.
          Every day you peddle b/s.

Labour have halted your frenetic schedule ,your social whirl….billionaires on the doorstop and visits from political cast offs.

What a ..shame.

/  1st April 2020

What a spiteful, nasty mind you have. How can you live with yourself ? Any bullshit is yours. I have never claimed to have any of those things. I know one billionaire who visited the house with someone else. I don’t claim to know him well. I don’t know who the political castoffs are whom you imagine visit the house. The only ones who were here when my husband was alive were certainly not castoffs.

Your whole post is a lie.

The fact that I am not one of the unlucky over70s who will be under house arrest if the PM gets her way doesn’t mean that I haven’t any pity for them. Labour have brought their lives to a standstill and I suspect that this will be literal in many cases.

There’s no kindness in marooning people in their 80s and 90s.

here is the LIE…
              I am not one of the unlucky over70s who will be under house arrest[ if the PM gets her way]

/  1st April 2020

Bollocks. I am nowhere near that age, as you would know if you knew me.
              Your lie is a particularly stupid one in this case, based upon nothing except spite and nastiness.

The fact that I am not one of the victims doesn’t stop me feeling compassion for them and resenting the probability that some will die because it’s now illegal for anyone to visit them to see that their mental and physical health is all right.

/  1st April 2020

this is the lie-‘{ if the PM gets her way]…pure assumption on your part.

Comprehension not your strong point.

/  1st April 2020

That’s backpedalling. You forget that your post is there to show that you said something quite different.

/  1st April 2020

NO back pedalling…you-‘the over 70s who have been told that they MUST stay at home ‘

me-‘
              here is the LIE…

you-‘
              There’s no kindness in marooning people in their 80s and 90s.’

confirmed-‘
              this is the lie-‘{ if the PM gets her way]…pure assumption on your part.
              Comprehension not your strong point.

• duperez

/  1st April 2020

I got the dog to sit still long enough for a shot this morning. Disclosure: bribery was involved.

• duperez

/  1st April 2020

And I put it in the wrong place! A dog after talk of politicians was not freudian. I don’t think.

/  1st April 2020

Not your fault dupers. PG’s had time to do more Posts, so Photo Day’s dropped off the Posts list. Nice pic. What’s the dog’s name & what sex?

/  1st April 2020

Well done, dups. I know how hard that is. His/her name?

/  1st April 2020

Mine has been known to pose for the camera, I regret to say. He must think he’s a film star.

‘I’m ready for my closeup now, Mr De Mille.’

ANZ will put one’s own photo onto cards…

• duperez

/  1st April 2020

Tova, Tervuren Belgian Shepherd. She turned two last week. I’m not training her, that’s for the expert! At the beach recently.

/  1st April 2020

Lovely dog and photo. Looks like a coat that needs a fair bit of TLC.

• lurcher1948

/  1st April 2020

So your dog does agility, maybe our paths have crossed…Stay safe train your dog

3. Blazer

/  1st April 2020

Gee, Dee Pee….is trickling down…the drain.

NZ will never be the…same.

4. Corky

/  1st April 2020

Apologies if someone has post this before.

I note some Greenies are commenting on how the air quality has improved in Auckland and other places around the country. And so it must do with way less traffic and industrial activity.

Of course, I wonder if these Greenies have considered what happens when the country returns to some form of normality ( probably not before August). The air quality declines, and those with previous respiratory problems who have enjoyed better health during the lockdown will have a return of symptoms that will put pressure back on our health system.

/  1st April 2020

Apologies if someone has post this before.
      😐
      All good, bro. I don’t think anybody has, but apology accepted anyway. 👍🏼

5. Blazer

/  1st April 2020

Is what’s beginning to unfold “a greater depression,” as economist Nouriel Roubini believes?
    He anticipates “a far worse outcome” than most economists see unfolding, adding:
    “Even mainstream financial firms such as Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and Morgan Stanley expect US GDP to fall by an annualized rate of 6% in the first quarter, and by 24% to 30% in the second.”
    “(E)very component of aggregate demand – consumption, capital spending, exports – is in unprecedented free fall.”
    “While most self-serving commentators have been anticipating a V-shaped downturn – with output falling sharply for one quarter and then rapidly recovering the next – it should now be clear that the COVID-19 crisis is something else entirely.”
    “Not even during the Great Depression…did the bulk of economic activity literally shut down” so fast.

/  1st April 2020

Yes, most business people have seen that from the start of these lockdowns. The destruction is immense.

/  1st April 2020

Morning dog walk: our lone old tree in the middle of the mangroves. Must like salty water. This was part of a panorama I had to cut down – too big for imgflip. Phone does a great job of them.

/  1st April 2020

didn’t realise you lived in outer Mangrovia….thought you would be surrounded by….Orange trees.

/  1st April 2020

Missed a trick there, B. We have lemon trees. And mandarin, fejoa, custard apple, guava, loquot, fig amongst many others. Bird life get more than we do.

/  1st April 2020

Can I come and live with you ???

/  1st April 2020

Les Miserables…….his wife may not like it though.

/  1st April 2020

For once B has a point, Kitty, miserable though it is.

/  1st April 2020

The question was for Alan, not you.

What a spiteful troll you are. You seem to be vicious for the sake of being vicious, a most unattractive trait.

/  1st April 2020

I didn’t mean live with you in that sense. It was a throwaway remark meaning that it looks a lovely place to be. I should have realised that one of the resident trolls would leap on it.

The meanspirited Blazer had to leap on it and twist it into something nasty, of course, in his role as spoiler of the fun.

/  1st April 2020

We think it is a lovely place, Kitty. A lot of nature and usually people enjoying themselves here. We always feel we are going on holiday when we leave the city and head home.

/  1st April 2020

sighhhh…..that’s all I meant, but Blazer had to spoil it with his dirty mind. It never occurred to me that anyone could twist an innocent comment into something like that. I’ll know another time, of course.

/  1st April 2020

Is that out at the cabins, Al? If so where are standing & looking in what direction? Might have a look for it in that movie I sent you sometime.

*where are you standing.

/  1st April 2020

No, that is our usual morning walk through the mangroves and reeds in Orongo Bay looking across the bay NW.

/  1st April 2020

This little only child pooklet gave me some worries last December. We had a patch of very wet and cold weather and it was wandering up and down the stream bank every night, all night, for weeks, calling endlessly.

Very unusual. At this age, Bluey, the dad pook, calls the kids around dusk every night and they follow and sleep with him in his family nest until they are old enough to build their own sleeping nests.

But this little one would go off on its own and get lost. Eventually I realised it was deaf. It couldn’t hear the constant clucks the adults make as they move around foraging to keep their pooklets close by, so it couldn’t find its parents – or its dad at bedtime – unless it could actually see them.

Luckily, it survived its pooklet-hood as the weather was warm enough for it to find the adults again every morning.

/  1st April 2020

It reacted to your voice though??

/  1st April 2020

No, it didn’t. Although I would talk to it, it didn’t react like other pooklets have to the sound of my voice. It could see me, but it couldn’t hear me. It’s dad was quite close by, that’s why it’s not frightened of me, but it wandered off and got lost again soon after that little scene.

/  1st April 2020

I saw two partridges on a lawn down the road, looking as if the house belonged to them. They and pheasants live around here; the paddock next to my dogfriends’ house has pheasants in it.

7. lurcher1948

/  1st April 2020

Simon’s on to an election winner here,If elected he will lower the minimum wage,that will get the rightwingers elated

8. Zedd

/  1st April 2020

YES.. April Fool’s day.. time for all us ‘bean counters’ to get to work (EoFYr).. 🙂

9. Corky

/  1st April 2020

Just as I predicted previously, people are walking off the job. My niece who works in one of NZ’s largest international companies, has told me they have lost lines of workers. The common denominator is 90% are Asian. How can these people without worry, just walk off the job? Who is supporting them?

The company has so many checks in place before workers can start work, others just give up and go home. The lines in the factory are being separated by long PVC screens.

If that’s happening throughout country…Blazer may be right.

/  1st April 2020

Never. Definitely left, imo.

/  1st April 2020

I wonder which company/factory that is.

Sistema workers are on strike because they want better protection, as they are too close together and don’t seem to have anything like screens. But there are no reports of anywhere else having walkouts.

/  1st April 2020

Kitty wonders what company that is. Keep wondering. I don’t know why she should be interested. After all, most of what I report is bs according to her. I’m sure this problem will peculate into public awareness if the media do their job.

/  1st April 2020

Just let the spello go Kitty, for heaven’s sake.

Wise counsel.

/  1st April 2020

I will, but the company with 90% Asian workers who have walked off the job en masse sounds a bit dubious.

If it’s true, why not name it ?

/  1st April 2020

Why are you interested? Engage someone else.

/  1st April 2020

To do what ? It’s obvious that the factory doesn’t exist.

10. Reply
  11. Corky

/  1st April 2020

I see all of a sudden people are interested in sign language interpreters.. I don’t know why. I have mentioned them many times on this blog.

Meanwhile the PM is thanking so many people and groups. Maori were mentioned again today…even though Hone is practising apartheid up North. More money is on the way for them… but where is the fugging thanks to our farmers and food producers?

Talking of up North, maybe Pickled Possum could drop in and give us a wahine Maori perspective on this crisis. Has she any ”old ways” that could help us folk out?

/  1st April 2020

Unless there has been a change, I don’t think Hone is practising apartheid up North. It was clear when he & other hapu/iwi members had set up “road blocks” to check whether foreign tourists who had arrived recently had firm plans for the 14 days of self-isolation that they were doing this in their rohe on behalf of all residents – pakeha AND Maori.

They turned some back when they clearly had no such plans. There was at least one police officer assisting. I don’t think there were any problems. There was no suggestion they were holding up deliveries of food & essential items. Au contraire, they welcome them, like everybody does.

Have things changed?

/  1st April 2020

”Unless there has been a change, I don’t think Hone is practising apartheid up North.”`

No, neither do I. I was stuck on how to describe the situation.

”It was clear when he & other hapu/iwi members had set up “road blocks” to check whether foreign tourists who had arrived recently had firm plans for the 14 days of self-isolation that they were doing this in their rohe on behalf of all residents – pakeha AND Maori.”

On the face of it that sounds fine. However, he cannot lawfully do that. That he is Maori should mean squat. I would like to see Parkeha try something like this. What is happening is the legitimacy of a two state nation by default being implemented, if not legislatively, then by consensus agreement with the government. Is Hone testing? Why isn’t he home?

Have things changed? Not to my knowledge , no

/  1st April 2020

“Is Hone testing? Why isn’t he home?”

Hmm. No, he’s not testing, but that last question’s an interesting one. I saw the item on Hone a few weeks back, possibly before we got to level 4 lockdown. There’s another iwi (on the East Coast somewhere, I think) doing the same thing – have read about that only in the last few days, on Stuff.co – i.e since the lockdown.

If they’re still still out there, stopping cars, they’re out of the PM-demanded bubble, aren’t they? Can anyone else do this?

Might be a good question for Mike Bush by someone on the Epidemic Response Committee.

/  1st April 2020

See Seven Sharp tonight. Mike Bush received a serve from a Human Rights lawyer for providing mixed messages on the issue.

My point is, I’m not saying these road blocks aren’t effective..or aren’t a practical response to community concerns. My problem is the constitutional precedent being set.

I’m also upset about money Maori are receiving above others. For example, I belong to two Iwi trusts. I was contacted today and asked to nominate one supermarket. These trusts are sending me out vouchers for kai. I don’t know whether this is Trust money or government money. I suspect the latter. If true, by dint of race I receive what others on this blog aren’t entitled to. That’s wrong.

/  1st April 2020

Righto, I’ll have a looksee at Bush on 7S on tv1 on demand. I’ve given up watching Hillers & Jerry because it was mostly trivial stuff.

/  1st April 2020

Yes, that lawyer was very good & set out very clearly what problems arise with Mike Bush’s ambivalent & confusing statements. No other group of individuals can call in a plouceman if they want to set up a road block. It’s actually illegal.

Bush is notably political (he might claim he is “diplomatic”, or some other weasel word, I imagine.)

Bush should be summoned to the Epedemic Response Committee grilled. Why not email someone like David Seymour & ask if he could get organised ?

I’m still waiting to hear back from Simon re whether there will be transcripts of their oversight meeting with the bureaucrats & Ministers. Seymour might be the best one for this.

I see your point with the Iwi vouchers matter, but as I don’t know whether & what “extra” money has been given to Iwi, and what for, I won’t comment.

/  1st April 2020

”Oh, I took your comment above to mean that Mike Bush had fronted WITH the Human Rights lawyer on the Hills & Jerry Show. It was only the lawyer dude.”

If I had said MB wasn’t on the show, you probably wouldn’t have taken a squizz. I think the Humans Right Lawyer was good. I was expecting a woke performance from him.

/  1st April 2020

All good. Let me know when you hear back from David.

I’m still hoping to hear from Simon but he’ll be busy I bet. There’ll be scheming to do & opportunities for political capital to be made.

If I get no joy there I might try the Speaker.

/  1st April 2020

Actually I think maybe that lawyer was a Civil Rights lawyer.

/  1st April 2020

David Seymour suggested to Grant Robertson that the government decide whether we are in a crisis, or not. If yes, there is a crisis, they should stop working on legislation that will cost the country billions and hamstring the productive centre. Seems like common sense to me?

* sector*

/  1st April 2020

Maybe mention that in your email then. But don’t go overboard. The main thing is to get to persuade the Chair or the Special Committee to call the Rooster in to explain why he’s allowing some citizens to set up roadblocks & checkpoints & breach their bubbles, while he’s got other coppers around the motus monstering people for going to the beach.

Why is that, & can others do that too? What are the police rules and criteria on this citizens’ roadblocks vigilante group?

Also, can Bush check whether any of them have got any firearms. You never know …

But don’t then do a quick edit while you’re talking to someone on the phone, hit Send, & fire the email off with a really stupid typo in it, like someone whose name doesn’t need to be mentioned here did.

/  1st April 2020

I just heard back from Simon:

“From: Hon Simon Bridges
            Date: 1 April 2020 at 21:06:18 NZDT

Subject: RE: Epidemic Response Committee – transcripts?

Regrettably not in Hansard no Gezza*

Sent with BlackBerry
            …..
            *name changed – email sent from my personal email address.
            ….

That’s a shame. Maybe Mallard said no?

Good luck with yours to Seymour.

• Pickled Possum

howzit Corky
      old ways … Dontcha mean Real ways ??
      I am isolated to the outside world in reality but have wifi so can choose what to read.
      I have been self-isolating at home for 2 weeks (cos of auto immune dis-ease) and now have another 4 weeks to go … apparently.
      The fact that no one can no longer come up the driveway brings a peacefulness to this place.

Off the grid up here in the Hills with 3 solar panels, windmill, composting toilet, wood stove for cooking and heating water, with lots of sustainable firewood … kanuka manuka totara privot mangrove the bread makers.
      Most times of the year we live out of the garden also having a fruit forest that gives fruit every season … at the moment I’m preserving tamarillos apples and making HOT chilli sauce.
      With the peeling and cores from the apples, I make apple cider vinegar for the chooks who are producing 4 eggs a day. No shitty bums here!!

We don’t have a freezer so how we preserve food is limited.
      I make everything from scratch and use what we have in abundance, so tonight it’s apple and tamarillo sponge pud. with garden salad; carrots beetroot silverbeet celery tomatoes red onions and some cheese sprinkled on top and cauliflower pakoras. I will slice up the last of my homemade bread with lashing of garlic and herbs, to go with it.
      Later after coffee, I will prepare the next loaf to bake. Spelt and purple flour cheese loaf yummi.
      I don’t want to venture outside the gate till its safe…

Hone and the Border Patrol have gone but there has been trouble in a local valley with the concerned landowners aka pack of scared old growers getting paranoid. Police told them to pack up and GO HOME.

Its an hour to the nearest large centre with supermarkets. I didn’t go when corona wasn’t here so not going now There is a food co-op in the town and when we are given the green light and it open again we won’t have to go far.
      We get organic meat once a week.

I find the attitudes of rural people to the coronavirus much different from their city cousins.
      People are reporting other people for being outside for too long or a van pulled up and a person went into another person bubble.
      Yes, officer, I like to report a crime against humanity

And what’s up with that nincompoop over in USA Jeeeez!!!!
      A new Zealand nurse working in NY said they had little or no protective gear, some nurses are wearing rubbish bags The medical supplies are not coming thru quickly enuff.
      And Trumps going , “Yes my interviews have the highest rating Higher than Fox News I must be good.” FARK.
      No Crisis here bro
      Any way stay kool Corky

Good post.

/  1st April 2020

Good one Possum. Ya makin me hungry but I just had a platefull of red cod soaked in milk, rolled in flour & drizzled with lemon so no room for more now.

Stay safe tuahine.

/  1st April 2020

Possum’s drive was formidable at the best of times. Now with her at the top …

Cheers Possum. Keep busy and happy!

/  1st April 2020

Pity she’s way up there in the wopwops. Wouldn’t mind her makin me brekky. Getting bored with an egg microwaved in a mug on Molenberg toast.

I’m a bit naughty about not eating enuf greens & fresh fruit too. Damn, she might as well make lunch as well.

She’s got serious cookery skills has Possum.

12. lurcher1948

/  1st April 2020

HELL, has anyone noticed that most businesses are crashing and burning in less than a week, its as if small companies in NZ are all SMOKE and MIRRORS,no /zero capital….scary when in a week you are stuffed and gone

• lurcher1948

/  1st April 2020

Mortgage,ford ranger,overseas holiday, full set of makita power tools, minimum wage paid apprentice, but ONE week failed company…doomed from the start

/  1st April 2020

You were a printer, weren’t you, Lurchy? Was it a printing company? Did you own it?

I ask because I know a retired printer who ran his own company. Clearing $100k a year by the time he retired, but times were pretty tuff when he & his wife started out in their business as they were leasing $ 1m worth of printing equipment.

Many sleepless nights, they said, wondering if they were going to able to pay the lease on the equipment & premises & suppliers each month until they had built up a sufficient clientelle to be able to relax.

• lurcher1948

/  1st April 2020

Hell life is bleak, 6 days with you joys and my wife,wow it was good so lets see if PG sends this down the dunny….funny

/  1st April 2020

There was a businessman on (an ad ?) a few years ago. He and his wife lived in the factory for some time (years) while he was getting the business up and running.

As I remember it, Michael Hill had a lightbulb moment when he realised that 80% of the space in the family jewellery shop that he worked in was occupied by things like clocks that were 20% of the sales…his uncle didn’t want to change, so MH went out on his own.

Remember when he did even the ads himself ? Some children thought that his name was Michael Hill-Jeweller and would address him as this.

/  1st April 2020

Michael Hill shares are penny dreadfuls around 24c atm.
          Probably be near bankruptcy soon.
          Love to know what ‘factory’ these retailers lived in.

/  1st April 2020

Michael Hill knows what works..and what doesn’t. Here’s his secret recipe. Look; learn…and save your coins to apply.

. ”1⁄4 cup organic tahina paste (sesame seed paste) organic olive oil organic pumpkin seed oil juice of 1⁄2 lemon … Garnish with parsley to serve as a dip or for use in wraps.”

Fine RIGHTIE living.

/  1st April 2020

you may have him mixed up with Annabel Langbein.

/  1st April 2020

Nope. He’s a firm believer in Sesame Seed Oil ( organic, of course.) Every morning he takes a slug, mixed with multiple high nutrient ingredients.

/  1st April 2020

They were manufacturers, not retailers and I can’t remember.

How you do hate to see anyone making a success of something.

Penny dreadfuls were cheap books.

/  1st April 2020

I think it’s more that people can work out how long a business can go with no income at all and make an educated guess that it will collapse after that time.

It’s like working out how long someone can keep going with no or a greatly reduced income.

/  1st April 2020

Yes, businesses run on getting more income in than what they spend on outgoings. In the process, if they run it well, they can make enough to employ staff & provide jobs. I didn’t want the stress of running a business when I could just work for a salary, so that’s what I did. But I admire people who take on the risk & set up a viable business that creates work & income for others.

/  1st April 2020

I admire them, too. My stepfather came from a family of 9; his mother was widowed quite young. They lived in a back street in either Newry or Warrenpoint, I forget which. His mother trained as a midwife to support them all.

He came to NZ with nothing but guts and determination (he’d been a linesman in Ulster) and said that he’d have 100 men working for him one day. He exceeded that. He had a chance and took it; in the early days, he was taking home less than his workers sometimes. They had to be paid, he didn’t.

It annoys me greatly when people sneer at people who have succeeded !

13. Duker

/  1st April 2020

Hungary has suspended democracy and elections and the PM Orban can rule by Decree
    Funny its the right winger who jumped in first.
    The EU has done …nothing.
    Ms. von der Leyen has said she will ‘keep watch’

As usual some in UK who have never have the Police stop them to ask about their business, suddenly are in high dudgeon about ‘their freedoms’
    if you live in a poor area or are black living in any area you will be well used to the police stopping you while walking or driving at any time for no real reasons.

/  1st April 2020

I am not really surprised that an extreme right place has done this sort of thing. It’s happened before.