Open Forum – Monday 6 April

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

1. David

/  6th April 2020

I think if the government want support in their efforts they need to be totally transparent, everything they know we should know maybe except for the individual names of the people who have it except in exceptional circumstances.
    We have a cluster in Canterbury tied to a rest home but the state wont tell us if its in the rest home or someone in the cluster cuts the lawn there or what the details are. I would have thought that if you want to stamp this thing out and the key is contact tracing why would you not name the rest home and the details around it so individuals could contact the state and get themselves tested and not wander off and grocery shopping.
    The other detail which is way too slow and for no good reason I can think of is that we get a new case linked to overseas travel but it takes a week to add the flight details to the website, I would have thought that info could go up immediately again so people can approach the state that were on the same flight, were taxi driving etc. even if it was just for registration purposes.
    I fear the info release is being managed for political not health purposes. The obsession with privacy in NZ should be suspended for the health of the nation.

Email Simon Bridges.

The Epidemic Committee might follow it up. After Committee members reported constituents were reporting confusion about the apparently erratic police management of the lockdown, Mike Bush was interviewed by the Committee & Bridges who strongly advised him the police should publish their internal guidelines – said to be a work in progress – so that police officers and the public were more aware of the rules.

Within a day or two the guidelines were published.

I might mention that I liked how the guidelines included a number of different scenarios for officers, with instructions on how officers should approach each case. They looked like situations that police officers had actually encountered.

But I noticed there was no scenario for vigilante groups setting up roadblocks and/or checkpoints to protect their local rohe communities. A pity. I wanted to see what the “rules” were for those.

• David

/  6th April 2020

Took your advice Gezza and received a prompt personal reply, quite impressed.

/  6th April 2020

Yes. I got a reply to mine about 9.30 pm from his blackberry.
          He’s stepping up.

/  6th April 2020

Yes the National Party strategists have done well in how they have Bridges handling this situation.

He is coming across as responsive,responsible and measured…a huge improvement in his leadership credibility.

Anybody else watch the movie Dunkirk last night on TV1? o_O
    Man it was good. ✔️ 👍🏼

• To late for me. So I watched Darkest Hour instead, it was very good too but a lot less action. It provided a good overview of Dunkirk history/

I’ll try to find a way to watch Dunkirk sometime.

/  6th April 2020

Yes, do. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it, Pete.

Superb aerial footage of real Spitfires, a Heinkel, Stukas & an ME 109. Looked like they were all warbirds.

I was riveted; unusual for me. Great storylines for all the characters.

• Duker

/  6th April 2020

Apart from most of the Spitfires none of the other planes you mention were the real version, closest was a Spainish copy of the Me109
          Radio controlled Models used more than you think
          Still a remarkable production

/  6th April 2020

Yes, I thought it would be the Spanish Me 109. They didn’t show a close up; they gave it the correct colour scheme, but the Spanish ones have a different front end – it’s chunkier & blunter. I don’t know if there are any of the original WW2 Bf series actually flying as warbirds anywhere, tho I haven’t checked that out.

• Pink David

/  6th April 2020

“I don’t know if there are any of the original WW2 Bf series actually flying as warbirds anywhere”

3 or so. One is in NZ under restoration. Likely another dozen that are stored or in various stages of restoration to flight condition.
              There is a Czechoslovakian version as well, but I don’t think any are airworthy. About a dozen of the spanish version flying and at least 15 in various stages of storage/restoration.

/  6th April 2020

Good to hear. Cheers for that Pinky. Wonder what model the one being restored in NZ is. The classic version, the one the Luftwaffe pilots who made it all the way thru the war recall with fondness or as the best was the E (Emil).

There are some restored FW 190s on Youtube, but not many.

Great to see they’ve got a couple of Mosquitos flying now too. One of them was restored / rebuilt in NZ to.

One plane that’s rare as hen’s teeth is the Vought F4U Corsair – The Whistling Death. It’s a shame; I read somewhere they were supplied in quantity to the RNZAF later in WW2 but they must’ve all been dumped when the war ended.

I love all the WW2 fighters & bombers, naval & ground attack aircraft.

But the Spitfire I think just stands out above the rest for its sheer beauty. It’s a work of design art, that plane. Easy to think of it as a she. Beautiful curves.

• Pink David

/  6th April 2020

“One plane that’s rare as hen’s teeth is the Vought F4U Corsair”

This is the one that is closest to my heart. My grandfather and his brothers serviced them for NZAF. At one point NZ had 500 or so. Only one has survived, but there are a few others hiding out at Ardmore.

I still have some of their tools hand made made from various bits of Corsairs & Spitfires.

“But the Spitfire I think just stands out above the rest for its sheer beauty.”

Elegant. The corsairs are brutes. I prefer the latter.

/  6th April 2020

Yes, I watched. Three standouts for me.

1- The Spitfires. Such beauties. Broke my heart watching them be destroyed, especially the forced destruction of one on the beach – standard tradecraft when behind enemy lines.

2- The soldier who had a heightened sense of survival. Always thinking outside of the bubble.
      While other soldiers who had survived were enjoying a bite to eat and a golly good chat, he was looking for exits in case he needed to use them. He did.

3- Fate. There’s a million gruesome ways to die in war. The lad on the motor launch was push down into the inside cabin and died of a head injury. No bullets, shrapnel or bombs required.

4- The shortening ad breaks as more advertisers pull the plug. I started noticing this last week.

/  6th April 2020

re 4…with more viewers than ever ,there is no rationale for your ‘observation’.

/  6th April 2020

I thought you were going to accuse me of being poor at maths. 😀

• Duker

/  6th April 2020

“Broke my heart watching them be destroyed, especially the forced destruction of one on the beach ..”
        The Movie used fibreglass models for that, the real thing nowdays are highly valuable and desirable

/  6th April 2020

Thanks, Duke, that’s made me feel a whole lot better. I knew these planes were extremely rare, and that no one was making them anymore, so I couldn’t understand why anyone would destroy them for the sake of a film. Puzzle solved. Good man. I’m a firm believer about shining the light of knowledge where ignorance prevails.

/  6th April 2020

That character Guy Martin from North Lincolnshire got in on a crew building one once.

I recently – within the last month or so – also saw a doco where he got in on another crew of engineers & hobbyists who built a WW1 British tank. They had a few mechanical issues but they eventually got it up & running.

I can imagine the heinies reaction when they first saw those coming towards them – “WTF – 😳 … ach … schiesse ! 😮 “

• Pink David

/  6th April 2020

They have been chasing buried spitfires up in Burma for years.

/  6th April 2020

That’s the one I have been trying to remember. I think it was the original location for the original conspiracy. Apparently the planes are all brand spanking new and wrapped in grease paper. One things for sure, it they were found…only an idiot would big note on social media. I personally would be sniffing in Saudi Arabia’s direction. I would ask for a billion dollars for one plane and receive it. Of course before that you would be wanting everything you could obtain regarding the specs of these planes,
              and their quirks, like torque steer on take off, and float problems during certain maneuvers.

• Conspiratoor

/  6th April 2020

Too depressing for me. Enjoy good historical war movies but only when its the good guys handing out the billy bunting. When we spend the entire movie running away, not so much

/  6th April 2020

Plenty of wins in this one. Worth a watch.

A Brit naval officer talking to someone else in the movie says Churchill hoped to get back 30 or 40,000 men.

They actually got back nearly 300,000. That operation & no doubt many of those men later were able to help the US & USSR win the war against Nazi Germany.

It was a very moving scene when the flotillas of motor launches, day ferries, fishing boats & yachts turned up & started boarding the waiting troops. Ordinary folk from all walks of life. Placing themselves in danger. True heroes, c. THEIR finest hour.

When was in London for a week on business in 1988 I took a launch down to see the Thames Barrier. On the way, a procession of several small boats and launches was motoring upriver. They were all flying a specific flag – the skipper told me all those boats went to Dunkirk & brought back British & French troops; they’re the only boats entitled to fly that ensign.

The Poms know how to create tradition.

• Dunkirk, and Churchill and the war cabinet decisions, featured quite a bit in Darkest Hour but with much talk and little action (still very well done).

/  6th April 2020

Has anyone read The Snow Goose ?

/  6th April 2020

Yes. We studied it at school. Might’ve been 3rd form (what year level is that these daze?)

I loved it.

Couldn’t abide Shakers The Rude tho, I’m sorry to tell you.

Here’s the flag:

I see some of these “Little Ships” actually featured in the movie.

/  6th April 2020

An elderly man liked to see people’s reactions when he told them that his father had owned a Messerschmidt and used it to go to work.

It was, of course, the car made by the same company.

3. David

/  6th April 2020

Interesting opinion and one not articulated enough and the debate is lacking. The media speak with pretty much one voice in their doom laden articles but maybe we have grown far too risk averse with our health and safety culture and the sheltered upbringings and the safe spaces from hurty words as we think nothing of acknowledging 37 different genders in our caring modern society. How are we to cope with a virus which for the overwhelming majority is uncomfortable when we live in a world where speech we dont like has to be cancelled because it may upset us.
    Guess what we are hurtling through space on a volcanic rock with no roof and none of us are wearing crash helmets, its not going to end well anyway.

/  6th April 2020

Unfortunately many of them seem to work in the media and government.

• Pink David

/  6th April 2020

“This is a time that reinforces my belief that the world is full of idiots I want nothing to do with.”

This is not the case. People are smart.

The problem is crowds are stupid.

They are two different things.

/  6th April 2020

Heard Mikey mention this, this morning. We are getting a great lesson on how human consciousness morphs our reality. This judge has judged wisely. Loved the clips of the British public demonstrating their interpretation of ‘social distancing.”😃

/  6th April 2020

I recall a comment: Britain is full of signs saying Keep Off The Grass and people ignoring them. Might have been Bryson.

/  6th April 2020

as of last week,we have new signs in NZ…’Keep on…the grass’!

/  6th April 2020

If we survive this, I’m betting PC madness and liberal nonsense espoused in the face of common sense will be a thing of the past:

Gay pride. Kanoa, Paddy Gower, intersex folk, kowtowing to Muslims and immigrants, devaluing Western culture ( if we have one left), halal meat, Maori tikanga in governmental affairs, climate change scam, John Campbell and Marxist education.

If these things don’t disappear, they will, I hope, never enjoy the power and prominence they once enjoyed.

/  6th April 2020

😁 Sorry folks..don’t know what happened here. It was meant to be a feminist choir. Something to add gravitas to my comments.

• duperez

/  6th April 2020

Putting Reina del Cid and Toni Lindgren up is no mistake! I see they’re going (meant to be) to Queensland late in the year. A pity they won’t be coming here.

/  6th April 2020

Excellent. Which one’s which? Vocalising the lead break notes with the guitar works really well. I’d love to hear how they’d sound with the mics plugged into a small amp with just a touch of echo effect.

• duperez

/  6th April 2020

Reina del Cid is the dark haired one. Most weeks she puts out a Sunday Morning clip. I usually look and listen. The recording and sound quality varies according to where she/they are. There’s plenty of variety with the gear, the venue, the songs. Over years.

Treat yourself with lots on this link:

4. Griff.

/  6th April 2020

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been admitted to the hospital for tests 10 days after contracting the coronavirus.

5. Zedd

/  6th April 2020

I thought the highlight today; Betty Windsor address to the C’wlth ‘We’ll meet again… dont know where/when’
    >how inspiring… NOT ! :/

/  6th April 2020

Speak for yourself. Apparently the speech has been well received.

6. duperez

/  6th April 2020

Man who filmed himself sneezing and coughing on people in a Christchurch supermarket has had his identity revealed in court.

He has been in the news before.

/  6th April 2020

Defence lawyer Phillip Allan said in researching the effects of dry ice bombs using the Wikipedia internet encyclopaedia he had been referred to a book called One Day in the Life of a Fool.

The book title might well characterise Coombs’ actions, he said.

More like it appears, now, to characterise his personality. Bloody muppet.

7. lurcher1948

Different middle name,duperez

/  6th April 2020

One of them is Raymond Gary Coombs.
      What’s the other middle name that’s different?
      The ages are about right for it to be same lunatic.

• lurcher1948

/  6th April 2020

I take it back,Gezza and duperez I was,totally wrong i got the middle names mixed up…sorry

8. Kitty Catkin

/  6th April 2020

I can’t see the logic of my being unable to buy a washer online for a tap that won’t stop running but being able to ask a plumber to come in to the house and replace a washer at vast expense…I could leave the tap running for the duration, of course.

These things are not essentials, according to the government.

/  6th April 2020

The DG Health has neither the authority nor ability to define and restrict “non-essentials”.

/  6th April 2020

I did obtain a washer….the plumber kindly gave me one as they couldn’t put it on for me (not on the approved list of what tradies can do; water must be considered to be inessential)

It was a surprise to see on Mitre 10’s list what is considered to be essential and what is not. Quite bizarre.

/  6th April 2020

Yes, bizarre is a good indication we are being commanded by idiots.

/  6th April 2020

I could buy storage jars and a coffee machine from Briscoes, also a NutriBullet and other such essential things.

But not a tap washer.

/  6th April 2020

Also on the essentials list…

Ladyshavers

Body hair trimmers for men

Plaque removers

Spiralisers/spiral cutters

This is insane.

9. Corky

The definition of madness:

Radio and TV having a sports section ( usually after the main news) where they report on all the sports not happening.

10. lurcher1948

/  6th April 2020

stay off stimulants or you end up looking like this

/  6th April 2020

Bad news, Lurchy. Mikey dresses down and doesn’t put on his makeup to address the masses. It’s part of the great lie we perpetrate on the underclass. The other one we have a good chuckle over is telling the world ”money doesn’t make you happy.” Let me tell you…it does. Carry on with the chutney and crackers, Lurch. Add a little Himalayan Pink Salt as a special treat. 😂

• lurcher1948

/  6th April 2020

Corky whose this Mikey you reference regularly, is he a person with some intelligence, cause that shock jock called mike hosking would get in an electrician in to change a lightbulb because you Corky support him to the hilt to pay for it..

/  6th April 2020

He looks as if he’s put his finger in the light socket, Lurch.

/  6th April 2020

Either that or Mother Nature is more of a bitch than I realised.

• Griff.

/  6th April 2020

He looks like money buys enough coke to fry your brain.

/  6th April 2020

… AND wearing your wife’s jackets.

Christ, that’s a piss poor colour match with the white T shirt & the grey in his designer jihadi beard.

He must’ve snuck out early … before she saw that he was wearing it ! 😡

/  6th April 2020

It may be one of her castoffs.

That is a girl’s jacket.

/  6th April 2020

I’m sorry guys. A little education is in order. Look, learn and understand the RIGHT WAY.
      Realise that Mikey travels the world. He moves in cities where no one takes a second look at a cultured man wearing what in NZ would be considered feminine colours. The white tee-shirt is a nod to the shabby NZ dress sense. It makes the have-nots feel better.

/  6th April 2020

The pink jacket looks all right on the model who’s half Mike Hosking’s age, is handsome, wears the right things with it and is the right shape for it. It doesn’t look good with dunnybrush hair, face furrows and grey/white whiskery chin. Or with a saggy tshirt that looks like underwear

/  7th April 2020

Mutton dressed as lamb is not considered to be sophisticated and stylish anywhere.Contrary to what people who haven’t travelled think, the streets of London and other cities are not paved with elegant sophisticates wearing haute couture.

It’s difficult to see how someone can tell if a person’s cultured just by looking at them. Cultured and elegant are not synonymous. Some academics are anything but well-dressed as clothes and appearance are not important to them. A brilliant academic doesn’t need to show off and try to impress.

11. lurcher1948

/  6th April 2020

CAUTION, stop being mean, this is Corkys father Christmas substitute, have and show respect (THIS IS MIKEY)all bow please

/  6th April 2020

…and do what the Earl of Oxford did when he did a low bow in front of Elizabeth I.

/  6th April 2020

For those who don’t know, he accidentally let out an enormous fart and was so embarrassed that he went abroad for something like seven years.

When he returned, he met the Queen whose first words to him were ‘My lord, we have forgot the fart.’

• lurcher1948

/  6th April 2020

Gezza is this Porirua stream?? starts at Seddon Nossitor park if i remember, my dogs piss in there for the flavour in Tawa, enjoyed,its still clean there but at Porirua it smells

/  6th April 2020

Yes, it’s the Porirua Stream Lurch. There are a lot of tributary stream & brooks.

• lurcher1948

/  6th April 2020

STAY SAFE, Gezza AND Corky and all the other posters, and PG…we are all smug, humans but this shit virus kills… it’s not looked in our direction YET…Stay safe

/  6th April 2020

Will do Lurchy. Just taken my C60 Olive Oil extract, and I’m about to do a 15 minute Browns Gas session before having a hydra bath. One disadvantage about being a Righty is we are high maintenance. I wouldn’t be surprised if Alan has a Nordic sauna to boot.

/  6th April 2020

Hot tub, Corky. Hate saunas and cold plunge pools are worse.

13. duperez

/  6th April 2020

The remnants of the grapes have been got at by birds so bees are attracted. I didn’t think I’d got what I wanted but downloaded them and thought I’d go out the next day (yesterday) when the light was good and put into practice what I’d learned. Got there but the grapes accessible for photos were all gone so no bees. Bugger!