Open Forum – Wednesday 8 April

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

1. lurcher1948

/  8th April 2020

I hope everyone’s healthy and safe this morning and remember you have to stay in your bubble.

/  8th April 2020

I’ve gotta do a grocery shopping trip today. More queueing, damn it.

Hoping my Macpac blue polar fleece jacket will get delivered today.

/  8th April 2020

Some folk aren’t short of a bob.

/  8th April 2020

It was reduced from $120 to $75, too good a an offer to miss.

I need to replace my current one, that I bought second hand from an Op Shop.
          It’s been a superb jacket, full of pockets, comfortable as anything, warm, light, washable, & I virtually live in the thing.

It’s given good service for 9 years, but it’s done its dash & is getting threadbare. Holes in the elbows that I can no longer repair. I still wear it when working around the manor when it’s cold out, but it is no longer fit for public outings.

/  8th April 2020

No sign of my jacket yet, unfortunately. I doubt it will turn up today.
            Hopefully tomorrow … 😐

/  8th April 2020

I need a new pair of the sandals I wear all the time but our central decision making idiots think they are not essential. I’m thinking of posting them my old pair with a picture of my bare feet.

/  8th April 2020

you may find it hard to get Roman sandals these days Al.

/  8th April 2020

Prob Chinese, B. Plenty of them, just not allowed to sell them. I need ones that tolerate getting wet and kicking dog poo.

/  8th April 2020

Alan, shoes are now considered essentials.

Roman sandals have never gone out. The Number One Shoe Warehouse ones are the best. They cost more, but are worth the extra for those who walk a lot.

/  8th April 2020

Yes, that was where i went, Kitty. The sandals are barred from purchsse.

/  8th April 2020

How annoying. How petty (not their fault, blame the idiots who decide these things)

If 12g bags of feathers and body hair trimmers are essential, why not sandals? Many people wear these all year round.

/  8th April 2020

20 minute wait in the queue. 15 minutes shopping. Back home to me bubble with supplies in 40 minutes – for what, before the lockdown, would be a 20 minute trip.

Not top bad, I suppose.

FiP! *top = too

/  8th April 2020

No bad at all compared with my supermarket.

/  8th April 2020

Yes, well, we don’t like to look down on others of course, but even the awfully overdone Lyn of Tawa, Ginette McDonald, eventually got an ONZM (possibly on the quid pro quo that then she’d bloody shut up!).

Very cultured in Tawa, we are. Nobody here says “anythink, nuthink & sumpthink” or ear-graters like “Hoy, moy name is Soymin”.

None of your biffo in the supermarket carpark or the supermarket queue. None of that sort of low-brow proletarian. Even the supermarket staff have too much class.

/  8th April 2020

The queues at P & S are long but fast moving. I have not been in one more than 10 minutes. It seemed like a good idea to go today to avoid the crowds tomorrow, but everyone else must have had the same idea. The queues at Countdown seem very slow. P & S are much better organised, not that that’s saying much. The people are very goodnatured here, as well, no bug-eyed, gaping hordes shoved back by potbellied security guards.

Gezza, the three packs of Watties spag count as one item.

• lurcher1948

Simon Bridges dont infect NZ on your big drive, speak to Chorus….you can do it
      Don’t infect Rotorua
      Taupo
      Turangi
      Hunterville
      Bulls
      Levin
      use broadband Simon try an HP laptop DONT BE CHEAP use some of that CCP bribe oops donation money$300k can give good bandwidth

/  8th April 2020

He doesn’t have it, Lurch, so can’t infect anyone.

He won’t be stopping at all those places, anyway.

2. Corky

/  8th April 2020

Siouxsie at it again. I think people have got the message, Siouxsie. Most neighbourhoods don’t hold wine evenings at the end of the drive…just the middleclass. The underclass piss up large wherever the party is. The wellfy relax in the jacuzzi while enjoying a decent vintage Sauvignon Blanc.

/  8th April 2020

She can whine on tv do why can’t neighbours do it their way? You don’t get the bug by eating it and you are not going to breathe it outside unless you embrace. Where is common sense here?

Siouxsie’s inspiration.

Warning may contain mild …smut.

😄 👍🏼

One of your better ones, B.

I love the two Ronnies, but especially Ronnie Barker.

/  8th April 2020

He had four candles in his funeral procession instead of the traditional three.

I love their Mastermind sketch. Can someone put it on here ? I don’t know how to.

/  8th April 2020

@ Kitty. Time you learned how to do this, ma’am. It’s not difficult.

/  8th April 2020

It just doesn’t work; I reach a certain stage and can go no further.

/  8th April 2020

Luckily where I live, in Tawa, it’s the custom for people to say thank you when someone does you a favour. It makes one feel one’s effort has been appreciated.

What do you mean you reach a certain stage & can go no further?

If you’ve made it to Youtube, searched, found & opened the video – all you need to do is pause it, go up to the url bar, highlight the full url length of the url address & choose “Copy”.

Then click into a Comment field here, and paste that url (it’ll post here as a clickable link) add any comment you want to above or below the link, & Post Comment.

✔✔✔ Classic.

3. lurcher1948

Swedens total deaths 591
    New Zealand’s deaths 1
    So much for herd immunity Sweden,so that didn’t work out.
    Great effort Jacinda Ardern and New Zealand

• David

/  8th April 2020

I think perhaps geography may have played a part as well as dear beloved leader the holy Ardern

• Every country has unique factors. Certainly our distance from the rest of the world helped us, as did our large moat. And we were lucky not to get landed with the significant impact of an infected cruise ship that traveled from here to Sydney.

Our small size makes limitation easier.

Political consensus on the actions to take made it easier and smoother, and got better public buy-in.

I think we’re both lucky and relatively well served by decision makers.

• Pink David

/  8th April 2020

“So much for herd immunity Sweden,so that didn’t work out.”

The lack of awareness in this comment is profound. How does NZ open to the world again when there is no immunity and C19 is worldwide?

All that has been achieved is a delay.

/  8th April 2020

Yep. And without making any claim whatever to confidence, the model I’m running is saying that delay may be alarmingly short. Maybe someone has reason to believe otherwise but I haven’t seen it.

The countries that have apparently best succeeded have run massive testing programs.

• Pink David

“Swedens total deaths 591
      New Zealand’s deaths 1
      So much for herd immunity Sweden,so that didn’t work out.
      Great effort Jacinda Ardern and New Zealand”

I’ll add this too, there is every chance the main reason NZ’s numbers are low is that the virus has already been and gone in NZ before anyone was even aware of it. It is incredible to me that anyone believes that a virus that was first detected in December in China in November would wait until March before attempting to spread to NZ.

The claim is this virus is highly infectious. so how would it not be present in NZ?

/  8th April 2020

Known cases arrived in February. But I agree it seems a long break. But students going home for Xmas and returning for the university year?

• Duker

Not ‘highly infectious ‘
        Flu is something like R(0) of 1.5, Covid is say 2.2 . Measles is 12.- now thats highly infectious. R(0) is average number of people spread from an infected person.
        Wuhan had direct flights to Sydney but not Auckland, and it seems the working class/market workers arent the ones to travel longer distances like Australia very early on.

“The Ministry of Health said the patient[Zero], in their 60s, had returned to New Zealand from Iran on Wednesday, via Bali. This was very early March .

• Pink David

/  9th April 2020

“Your logic is faulty as if Covid was highly infectious to come to NZ there would be much bigger infected pool now ..thats what highly infectious means”

Please let me know how much Covid-19 testing was being conducted prior to February? How much was being done in February?

Oxford has a paper out with a significant possibility that 50% of the UK has already had Covid-19. What makes you think it’s incorrect?

4. Blazer

/  8th April 2020

PG@TS….’I question your claim of an emerging consensus. I seem more of a limited emerging opportunism to use Covid-10 induced economic disruptions to try some sort of idealistic grand economic experiment that is poorly defined.
    The debate should be how much ‘free market’ we should have and how much government control.
    Should we look at improving the mix, or consider replacing our economic systems with something radically different (which given the knife edge economies run on would be very high risk)?’

-what exactly is this idealistic experiment?
    -‘free market’ ..has it existed …how do you define it?
    -surely maintaining the status quo presents the biggest risk…of all!-I’m looking at debt levels here.

[I’ve asked you before to provide links to quotes. PG]

• Why do you think maintaining the status quo – more accurately, the changed economic environment we are now in – is the biggest risk? There are known problems and deficiencies, but isn’t that less risk than a major shift into some sort of ill-defined and unproven alternative economic system?

They can only be compared by knowing what the alternative is – what do you propose?

/  8th April 2020

you’re avoiding answering the questions I posed regarding your observations.
        You should elaborate on those observations.

• David

/  8th April 2020

Would you not say that this is by far the best time to be alive in the history of mankind, wonder at our health and quality of life its truly amazing.
      All the fabulous things about the modern world are widely available thanks to capitalism and man being free to invent, explore, design and provide at a profit to others.
      Sure its not perfect but its a pretty awesome system.

/  8th April 2020

Like many you give this Capitalism ‘ more credit than it is due.
        Capitalism seems to have many shades ,it is chameleon like when definition is required.

Crony Capitalism has been the order of the day for decades.
        Nothing ‘awesome’ about it at all-it operates for the few,at the expense of most.

/  8th April 2020

I agree, Lurch. Except the media’s collective brain cell is not lost, just malfunctioning as usual.

When someone drives 2km to the beach instead of walking:

/  8th April 2020

Doggie’s cute, but have you got her on video singing, Al?

Tuis have a double voicebox apparently. Why they can produce such a range of sounds, sometimes two at the same time. I really noticed it with Happy the Tui here…

7. Corky

/  8th April 2020

Three cheers for the PM…she finally got around to thanking food producers. About time.

In others news, people really need to be careful as cabin fever strikes and major domestic violence erupts. This morning after a solid kettlebell workout, I decided to finished up with a moderate speed 15 km bike ride. One km into that I was stopped at a road block
    while police removed a handcuffed woman from her residence to a paddy wagon. She was still dressed in her dressing gown. I was waved through that road block and was on my way again, when I remembered I needed a Spark top up. So I stopped at a dairy and was second in line. Another woman joined the queue, followed by others. The woman behind me, waved an elderly woman with a walker to the front on the queue. No one minded except her husband in their car. He was a bro. Both partners exchanged short harsh words as to what they would do to each other. When I saw the eyebright in the bro’s eyes ( he was still in their vehicle), I knew I had a problem if he exited the vehicle. I kept a close eye on the drivers side door, while the rest of the line were lost in their phones. After another short exchange between the two, he started to exit the car. I immediately jumped the queue and entered the shop to the refrain of the person in front of me saying ” get in fucken line, buddy”. That was quickly drowned out with screams and mayhem. I suggested to the shop owner he close his doors. He did. A sign came through the window as the two combatant dealt to each other. One of the staff rang the police. They arrived fairly quickly ( 3 minutes) being just down the road.
    Once the owner saw the police, he opened his doors while another person served me. I exited the shop to see two men the bro had laid out. Two other men were sitting on him, and a police officer was taking his hancuffs out. Another officer to me told move on after I retrieved my bike. The rest of the line had been taken away from the dairy as officers took notes. The woman I had queue jumped was being interviewed. Lucky she didn’t see me. I skedaddled.

Observation and extrapolation are a mans friend…not a smart phone. That’s dumb. I just wish I had this mindset when I was younger.

To save Kitty the trouble: ”Corky is romancing again. Sounds too far fetched.”💨

/  8th April 2020

”Another officer told me to move on after I retrieved my bike. ”

/  8th April 2020

Jesus. Shocka of a family, yours, Corks. How embarrassing for you.

This bro of yours. Older or younger sibling ?

8. Reply
    • Duker

/  8th April 2020

1918 -19 flu – it came in 3 waves over that period, and after the first milder one mutated to a more virulent version Covid mortality rate isnt higher than 1918/19 as those reported cases are far under reported,

9. Reply
  10. Reply
  11. Reply
    • Pink David

/  9th April 2020

Please provide evidence these people died from Covid-19.

• You know that’s nearly as difficult as proving people have died of Covid related causes but aren’t in the Covid statistics.

But a hundred and eighty countries can’t all be making numbers up.

12. Conspiratoor

/  8th April 2020

Advice needed from the learned here please. No 1 son wants to go to the Whangarei loop with his son and ride the loop together. Approx 8.76km to get there. Thanks,c

Stay out of it c.

Last thing you want is to be charged with being an accessory.

• Conspiratoor

/  8th April 2020

Sorry G not good enough. No shortages of experts here prepared to go the extra mile to delve deep into the legal minutiae. Just want to tap into it.

A little boy awaits

Easy.

1. Ring up the local cop shop (or any number given for the fuzz re lockdown advice)
          2. If the answer is Yes, note date & time of call, & name of person who gave that advice. Then go.
          3. (a) If the answer is No, note date & time of call, & name of person who gave that advice. Then don’t go.
          ….(b) if your son considers the No unreasonable – also email Simon Bridges & complain, with reasons.

• Conspiratoor

/  8th April 2020

Thanks G, I was hoping the finest legal brains in the country would help me out without wasting half a day waiting to talk to a government agent who won’t give a straight answer anyway

/  8th April 2020

Your youngest still in the force, c?

Depends what your son’s objective is. If he wants to give his son a whirl on the loop, but avoid the possibility of having to assert his rights / according to the finest legal minds here – to a constable with a contrary view, then I recommend he simply proceed as above, & carry the details on his person if he is advised the loop is a goer.

Have you looked at the Police Guidelines that Simon got recently released? Do they assist you?

• Conspiratoor

/  8th April 2020

Yes G, she is still in and moving into an interesting role. I’m not close to the legalese but it seems there is a hierarchy of rules where one beaurocracy can gazzump another. Who is at the very top of the dungheap, do you know?

/  8th April 2020

In a situation like the one we are discussing, the one whose agents have the power to issue infringement notices with fines attached & who carry the handcuffs. Where they are uncertain what to do, on the battlefield (so to speak) they will seek orders from own CoC, not an external organisation’s.

• Conspiratoor

/  8th April 2020

They appear to be simply guidelines G. What do I have to do to be cuffed and taken into custody?

I’ll see if I can find out what the girls in blue have been told

/  8th April 2020

What do I have to do to be cuffed and taken into custody

Coughing & spitting on a sergeant might assist you there.

Or saying ‘Good afterble, consternoon.(hic) ‘

/  8th April 2020

I forgot to post this earlier this morning:

“India has lifted a ban on some drug exports, including the experimental COVID-19 treatment, hydroxychloroquine, after United States President Donald Trump threatened possible retaliation if New Delhi failed to ship the anti-malarial medicine to the US.

Medical experts told Al Jazeera that the government only lifted the ban following the threats by the US president.”

Herr Trump: Amerika uber alles !

14. Conspiratoor

/  8th April 2020

In breaking news Baldwin street has reclaimed its title

/  9th April 2020