Open Forum – Saturday

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

/  18th April 2020

Worrying inadequacies in the Otago modelling that drove the Government to destroy the economy revealed here:
    And in detail here:

Click to access Corona.pdf

• artcroft

/  18th April 2020

You have company in this. The stable genius has twitted for the liberation of Virginia, Minnesota and Michigan.

/  18th April 2020

Possibly, I haven’t read his paper.

• artcroft

/  18th April 2020

Great article though. There will definitely be a reckoning coming for Ardern and co in November.

• Artcroft, you know who lives in stables 😀 So a stable genius is ????

I agree about the reckoning that’s on its way.

• Duker

/  18th April 2020

A discredited source who is always complaining about NOT getting the background paper work.
      Wasnt he blasting the Reserve Bank governor , and you cheering him on, over the move to increase the banks own capital requirements , so the banks are more resilient in ‘unexpected events’

We have just had one and the Reserve Bank immediately rescued the Banks, big business small business ( but some are too sick to recover medium term)…hmm who would have though unexpected events are exactly that. Sure the circumstances were quite a bit different from your every day type financial collapse , but the long sharemarket bubble was going to end at some stage with a bang.
      I was able to see the signs once reports of Korean cars makers stopping production – a lot of parts came from China- and knew immediately this was the banana skin for the sharemarket bubble – so was able to move my entire Kiwisaver account to cash option with same provider, thus preserving the entirety of the capital. I see the provider has ‘my cash’ is now with NZ banks term deposits

/  18th April 2020

Nothing has been done about the cash reserves and the banks are not in trouble, their customers are because of government actions. The rest of that is even less relevant and as usual shows you haven’t bothered even to read and think about what you want to criticise.

• Griff.

Yess Alan.
          Are you not the one predicting doom with massive bankruptcy.
          Guess what that does to banks ?
          Do try to join up your thinking for once .

By the way i started reading it but after he started calling every one he disagrees with lefty I decided he suffers from overtly partisan bias and is not worth any further effort.

/  18th April 2020

The banks are technically insolvent imo.
          They have recently been down graded to A+ and are expected to be down graded again.
          The banks only continue on the tacit understanding that taxpayers will bail them out.

The reserve requirements have been deferred because of the current crisis.
          We know the results of the banks stress tests on the basis of property values falling by 30% are total fiction.
          As the ramifications of double digit unemployment hit home in the next 18 months just how weak their balance sheets are will be revealed.

I can see a run on banks sometime in the next 12 months.

• artcroft

/  18th April 2020

“I can see a run on banks sometime in the next 12 months.”

Only if Jacinda loses her mind and puts the Greens in charge of the economy.

• Duker

/  18th April 2020

Australia has $33 bill in $100 notes in circulation….well under the mattress as like here they are rare as and not in general circulation

Those taking the cash out suitcases probably dont want creditors to be able to claim it…empty cupboards when a business closes

• Yes, you are probably right there.

It would be possible to track the withdrawals, though. But finding the $$$ would be difficult; the person would have ‘spent’ them.

• artcroft

/  18th April 2020

Mike Reddell has not been discredited. You’re just spouting your usual ignorance.

/  18th April 2020

Its common knowledge Reddell has an axe to grind.

• Who doesn’t have some sort of axe to grind online?

If everyone who someone else accused of having an axe to grind or an agenda was discredited and shut down, we may as well shut down this site, and the Internet.

To everyone: There has been too much attacking messengers creeping in here, it’s lazy and it’s detrimental to adult debate, so if self control can’t be used I’ll start to do some educating, and if people persist and take too much of my time up I’ll put them in moderation.

2. lurcher1948

/  18th April 2020

Trump appears to be melting down on twitter.He wants states liberated for the 2nd amendment.Soon I feel men in white coats will be coming to take him into care,and imagine if PM Jacinda Ardern behaved like him,we would be a laughing stock,like the USA is now.Nice country the USA,just a buffoon for a president.

BUSTED ! >:D

Every morning I put out a red & a blue bowl of sugar water for the (up to 3) tuis who visit regularly when I do so.

Lately I’ve noticed they seem to burn thru a helluva lot more sugar water than they used to.

This morning, from the kitchen window, I found out why ! The youngest pooklet, and possibly others when I’m not there, like sugar water too !

• I blame the parents.

• And the caregivers.

/  18th April 2020

Who leave something out that will result in the poor pook having no teeth when he grows up…

😀

And, at 4.45 pm the pooks have all quietly turned up over the fence – and THAT little one, finding the red bowl empty, & a contented big tui, having apparently finished up the last of the “red wine”, singing its happy little lungs out up in the 2nd pittosporum – decided to turn the (quite heavy) bowl over, with its feet, & knock it onto the ground – and THEN look over the kitchen window, with an innocent air, & try to pretend it wasn’t her !

It was down there like that when I got here ! Honest 🐧 !

Well, all the others got their bread dinner snack first ! She had to wait for hers !

😠

• Well, tell them not to come crying to me when they don’t have any teeth.

Righto. 👍🏼

/  18th April 2020

She said: Don’t be mean, & pooks don’t have any teeth.

• Of course they don’t with all that sugar left out to tempt them.

• That’s hardly surprising when they’re fed all that sugar.

• &%$@* !!! How does that happen ? The reply doesn’t go through, so one does another and they both do….

/  18th April 2020

Every now & then WordPress throws a wobbly. If a comment of mine doesn’t post & I know I didn’t make an error logging in with my gezza email address, I either wait until someone else posts, then it usually appears – or I close the page & log in to YNZ again & it’s generally there then.

4. David

/  18th April 2020

Good news, less invasive could be dangerous and more effective. This has been becoming clearer for a few weeks now but the medical profession can be conservative and change resistant.

cry me a river…
      ‘In light of the economic challenges of COVID-19 and higher requirements for landlords to wear rent arrears (from 21 days to 60 days) with no right to terminate a tenancy, we ask the Government considers delaying the ring-fencing of residential rental property tax losses by at least a year,” it reads.
      “[This will] give landlords the breathing space we need to support our tenants through these challenging times.”
      Ring-fencing residential tax losses means landlords can no longer offset tax losses from their residential properties against their other income – for example their salaries, wages or business incomes.

The losses can only be offset against other rental profits in the person’s portfolio, or against gains from the sale of property, according to kiwitax.com.
      The new rules will come into effect at the beginning of the 2020 financial year.
      The petition has been signed by 574 people and has 28 days until it is presented to Parliament. ‘-newshub.

• Conspiratoor

/  18th April 2020

Took them a while and more than a few deaths to come around. They should listen to the blogosphere more often 😉

/  18th April 2020

When I made what is to be my one and only allowed visit to say goodbye to my dying ma at her rest home & hospital last night, under level 4 restrictions, I got a stark reminder of how total the ban on visitors implemented there (apparently on govt-mandated DHB instructions) is, & how upsetting this must for many loved ones of elders in care.

You have to sign in & out. It used to be just date, time(s), your name, and name of the resident being visited.

When we were set at level 2, signing in suddenly required visitors to also answer yes or no to a checklist of questions about whether you had returned from overseas in the last 14 days, had any symptoms of Covid-19, or had had any contacts with someone who has.

The home is a big place, with many residents. That visitors register used to be full of visiting friends and family signatures. When I signed in last night for 17 April, mine was the first signature in the register since 8 April.

On my way to her room, one of the elderly male residents came out of the large lounge and said to me: “Why are you wearing a mask?”

I replied: “Because of Covid-19 rules. I was required to wear one to be allowed in to visit my ma.”

He came back with: “No one around here wears a mask.” And when I looked around, at the staff & residents, he was right. I found that rather intriguing. No staff on deck who I could see were in PPE.

/  18th April 2020

*how upsetting this must be

• Conspiratoor

/  18th April 2020

Possibly because they are all sharing the same bubble G. My dear old mum shares hers with the staff who like her, are not allowed to leave the premises

/  18th April 2020

There are, as far as I can tell, no permanently-living-on-site staff, c. So, a lot of intersecting bubbles.

• Pink David

/  18th April 2020

What did you expect? You shutdown an economy that produces $20tn every year, the numbers are going to be astronomical.

NZ has already spent $10bn on a wage subsidy alone. The final bill will be far, far higher.

6. Could Open Forum be declared a Covid-free zone and kept for other things ? Just a thought,

7. Zedd

/  18th April 2020

I was wondering if some folks, heard the PMs message right.. we are still at Level 4
    >out on my daily walk… seems a lot more cars busing about, than last week.. :/

/  18th April 2020

Apparently a lot of NY has decided the lockdown is ended too. In the end the people have the power.

• Duker

/  18th April 2020

second wave coming then ..
        but Trump will say “I predicted that when they came out too early”

/  18th April 2020

Quite possible. Interesting to wait & see.
          Of course, if does, he’ll just be adding it to his seemingly endless list of contradictory statements so he can go in front of any audience & choose which one they like to hear.

Winston’s got a good line at occasionally doing this sort of thing around election time, too. But he’s only a dabbler compared to Trump, who does it every day.

• Pink David

/  18th April 2020

“second wave coming then ”

Isn;t that the plan? The whole point of the lockdown was to reduce the load on the health system, that, by definition was intended to create a ‘second wave’.

What’s your plan? Stay in your bubble until everyone dies, or just until no one has a job?

8. Pink David

/  18th April 2020

So, how many on here have taken a pay cut, or is being made unemployed as a result of this lockdown? How many think they will largely be untouched?

• I’ve had a pay cut. But my expenses have gone down too by more, no travel costs, and less going out and about.

• I won’t be touched financially, unless prices rise which is possible. But my life has become more stressful with the isolation and not being able to get a tradie to fix window flashing that causes the rain to come in when it’s heavy.

I imagine that many others are finding this in their own ways.

I pity anyone with a mortgage.

/  18th April 2020

I expect to be sacked in the next month or 2.

• Path

/  18th April 2020

I’ve taken a 70% pay cut. Am getting the subsidy until the project I’m on starts up again, which is hopefully at level 3

9. duperez

/  18th April 2020

This afternoon I found where some little pests have been doing their thing. I was able to get up close and personal without hassle. A few more photos tomorrow then a bit of warfare:

Great construction: