Open Forum – Sunday

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

1. David

/  26th April 2020

The 50 mill and the promise of more is working a treat with pretty much all the coverage today being on how long Bridges lasts, to the election so pointless speculation.
    I would like to hear what this government is going to do from ministers who hopefully have done some thinking. I would like some scrutiny on why level 3.9 is so restrictive given our neighbors success and the cost in jobs of remaining shuttered, where is the maths. Where is the minister of health/employment/tourism its like the government aside from Ardern and Robertson are not only in lockdown but absent.
    Scrutiny by the 4th estate apparently is so important to a democracy it gets funded while a lung cancer drug finally slated to be available gets cancelled because there is no money. Cash to the media has ironically stopped them doing their important job.

• lurcher1948

/  26th April 2020

David one reason why Simon Bridges gets a bad rap is because he ALLWAYS praises Australia over New Zealand and all New Zealanders know Australians are sandpaper using underarm bowlers who treat us like rubbish,also they know Simon Bridges visited Scott Morrison to borrow his dirty tricks book on how to win an election.

/  26th April 2020

As a matter of fact according to some Scott Morrison is making a comeback from his past train wrecks. He’s doing a good job. Once this crisis is over, it will be interesting to read the comparisons regarding who was the better PM during said crisis – Ardern or Morrison.

• lurcher1948

/  26th April 2020

Corky your average kiwi wouldn’t even think about Scott Morrison and compare him to our Mother of the Nation PM Jacinda Ardern

/  26th April 2020

Hmm. Looking back a bit, to just prior to the last election, I really think At the point where Andy realized he was tanking the Labour party & let Jacinda get elevated to the top job is where our mainly female msm stopped doing their important job & just began on a long love affair with her.

As she has grown more secure in the role she has learned to control them with grace and favour which she uses quite overtly now.

• All prime ministers learn to manage the media to varying extents. Key, Clark, back to Muldoon who openly fought and intimidated journalists.

/  26th April 2020

She stepped straight into the role with ease.
        The acclaim she receives around the world is not confined to female journo’s.

If you put anyone under the microscope you will find fault with them,especially if you are …determined.

/  26th April 2020

Certainly wouldn’t disagree with that & politicians should and do expect to be put under a microscope by a fourth estate doing its job properly.

Whether someone is determined to find fault with them it seems to me is often more of a situation of a fan club member not liking them being scrutinised.

/  26th April 2020

Regarding politics people tend to be quite partisan and that is understandable.
            Politicians cannot avoid scrutiny.

When people can point to specific failings in what initiatives they undertake or pinpoint obvious mistakes no one would deny them the right.

Your last paragraph applied to the POTUS, reveals just how one eyed and devoted people can be, despite a mountain of evidence that shows astonishing incompetence and misfeasance,.

/  26th April 2020

Over reactive ,cynical nonsense David.
      Lift your game old…chap.

• duperez

/  26th April 2020

Some like you want to hear if ministers have done any thinking and what that thinking is. And want private media outfits, our biggest media organisations, to find out and let us know.
      Those companies have found that far more people want to find out stuff about the royal family and similar.

/  26th April 2020

I guess, for me, the question is do folk want to know about Harry & Meghan (for example), or has Fluff Media decided that’s what they’re going to feed the masses, so you get it whether you want it or not?

/  26th April 2020

Zedd, have you noticed Freeview Channel 200 (Kordia, I think) is also now showing music vids (wide range, contemporary & classic ) at night?

Seen on Ch 200:

3. Corky

Ooooh, Boy!!! Lol.🤔

From the Official KFC site:

‘KFC YOU SOON
    So close, you can almost taste it 😍🍗

We’ll soon be back frying the chicken you love but with even more safety measures in place. As part of our commitment to safety, the front counter will remain closed for now, but you can still get KFC contact free by visiting the drive thru or ordering home delivery.
    As part of our increased safety measures, we have paywave available and will only be accepting cashless payments. We will also be operating a limited menu in the short term.
    To ensure the health and wellbeing of our customers, team and community we’ll be opening our stores in a phased approach. For information relating to store openings please check back Tuesday morning. Please note re-opening times for individual stores will vary to allow time for our fresh chicken to be delivered.
    Thanks for your understanding, we look forward to serving you soon.’

On the subject of retail. I noticed a few familiar faces absent from my supermarket. I was talking to a security guard and he told me they chucked their jobs in the minute Covid- 19
    started to become a problem.

/  26th April 2020

I hope you do not own shares in Restaurant Brands Corky.

/  26th April 2020

No. But I wish I had shares in security and courier companies ( if they are listed). Big openings for food and supermarket service deliveries.

/  26th April 2020

Freightways is listed and regarded as a bellweather stock for the ‘health’ of the NZX.

/  26th April 2020

Couldn’t give a rat’s arse about the fatties getting their KFC again, my burning question is whether my local takeaway will be open so I can resume getting my weekly $10 takeaway Chinese smorgasboard again. Been really hanging out for one for the last two weeks.

And my garage is open again, so they can fix the bloody oil leak my car’s had since its WOF & service there on 20 March. Booked in for Wednesday morning.

/  26th April 2020

Think of all the MSG you haven’t been ingesting. But, I can’t deny it’s hard to beat a good Chinese feed.

• duperez

/  26th April 2020

I need to process all that. I’ll stick it in my ‘Chinese Checker.’ It’ll probably take a while as the machine is in a state of confusion. (Not to be confused with Confucius.)

How so? Well, I’ve heard lately that everything to do with China is bad. I’ve heard it lots. But it seems it’s okay if it’s a massive food processing company owned by a Chinese company that operates in the USA. Or if it’s products made in China by a US company and exported to the USA because there’s a dire need.

I guess just after the ‘CHINA BAD, VERY VERY BAD’ sticker on my car bumper I should add another one: ‘DEPENDING.’ 🙃

/  26th April 2020

.I should explain myself better:

The ‘oh, boy’ was because of the following:

1- No cash payments will be accepted.
      2- The menu will be minimal; not the standard KFC fare.

So, a van load of lower community strata folk turn up at the order window at the side of the drive through. Nearly 5 weeks without a feed…they start with: ‘l’ll have 3 family buckets of chicken, 20 large fries and 5 -2 litres of Coke, please’

‘I’m sorry,sir…you can only order individual chicken pieces and fries are limited to one large serving per customer,’ will come the reply.

”And ,sir..all orders must be paid for with a card…we are not accepting cash.”

”@@##%^&*$*, pass me my bat, boy. These fullas are going to get it.”

If I was a KFC worker, I would suddenly have flu like symptoms and wouldn’t be able to start work until the following Tuesday. If that wasn’t possible…know all your exit routes..and as a last resort.. how to hide in the freezer.😯

• I don’t know who told you the menu was minimal, but it seemed quite comprehensive when I read it. I never buy the stuff, so don’t know how it’s changed, but it has buckets and packs of various kinds with no limits and goes into several columns.

/  26th April 2020

‘it seemed quite comprehensive when I read it.’
          ‘ I never buy the stuff, so don’t know how it’s changed,’

this is typical…neither informs or educates or adds to the discussion.Hopeless.

/  26th April 2020

I was going by what a three reporter said. I eat it about a couple of times a year.

/  26th April 2020

Plenty of restaurant operators took any media opportunities going to tell the public how much Uber Eats screws them; a few said they either didn’t make money using them or that they actually lost money.

Damn. That was @ Corky.
      Hit by the Random WordPress Wilkinson Effect again. 😠

• I read somewhere Uber Eats takes 30% of the account, I would think this isn’t a sustainable business model, if all orders were dependent on Uber delivery.

• I hadn’t read that, Maureen, but it wouldn’t surprise me; they are said to add so much to each item as well as making a delivery charge. How dishonest. They probably think that people won’t notice if it’s a large order or will think that it’s their mistake !

5. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/clinton-adviser-biden-withdraw-assault-allegations

Looks like Joe is having a whoopsie, wonder who they’ll roll out next.

6. Griff.

/  26th April 2020

P-3K2 just done a low and slow over the bay . Been a while since I have heard those 4 turboprops rumble so close. Having been buzzed at mast height half a dozen times while boating they certainly get your attention.
    Yesterday it was the police patrolling the bay in a fizz boat .

/  26th April 2020

Driving up to ma’s place. The bottom hinge of three securing her aluminium front screen door to its frame rusted badly & broke right off the other day. Have cleaned it up, de-rusted & repainted it. Ma was going to get a whole new screen door but it just needs to be reinstalled on the existing one, which is still in top condition. Going to screw it back on as the rivets were rusted right out too.

Catch you chaps & chapesses later. Can someone else please make sure Sir Alan doesn’t run amok here while I’m away?

That is all
    Sir Gerald

8. Tuis were back at The Old Farm Cottage today, they are quite regular visitors. The good thing about the big tree going bald is that it’s obvious whether it’s a tui or blackbird sitting there.

• Our tui have been back for a few weeks, some bellbirds back too. And there’s kereru around, tree lucerne is flowering and they like that.

Fantails are intermittent usually but they’ve been around lately too, went for a walk to the bushier end of our section this morning – clearing a bit of dead gorse and developing a bmx track – and there were up to half a dozen fantails flitting around us at a time.

And there’s been rosellas briefly passing by lately too, they’r quick but can’t mistake their call.

Plus the regular movement of seagulls, we’re on one of their flight paths up and down the harbour.

And then the occasional hawk cruises along the bushline and all the other birds suddenly get edgy.

• I have untold fantails; there are some there all the time. I haven’t seen a rosella for a while, but they are fairly common around here. It’s always lovely to see one; they occasionally visit my garden as do wood pigeons. I once had a big fat hen walk in. No one seems to know where these chooks actually live. There are hawks across the road and an odd one flies over the house, making a large shadow. I can never believe how fast they drop,

I sometimes see partridges and pheasants across the road and down it.

The winter before last, a vast flock of goldfinches turned up every day at 4.50. They were seldom more than a minute or two out. They would then start relay races between two trees. Why is anyone’s guess.

• duperez

/  26th April 2020

Fantails are regulars inside. Yesterday grabbed the camera, wrong lens, wrong settings and obviously bird all over the shop and in the dark places. One day I’ll get a decent shot!

A couple of times we’ve had them in hand and once got a photo of one. Must track that down.

• I have them coming in, too, but thank goodness the glass ‘bird beads’ that I strung on fishing line stop them and others banging their heads on the windows. I don’t have net curtains as I have a view of the country through the front windows (and dislike them, anyway) The odd one does, but it’s rare and no deaths have happened since the beads have been there.

Waxeyes never seem able to find their way back out again.

I had a thrush come bouncing in one Christmas morning, grinning all over its beak…then its face changed, like someone who’s realised that they’re in the wrong house and it hurried back out, looking most embarrassed.

I read of a fantail whizzing in, scooping up all the flies and whizzing back out !

9. Pink David

/  26th April 2020

I wonder if anyone remembers Trump/Russia. The net is slowly closing around Steele….

“Christopher Steele told a British court last month that he no longer has key documents related to his infamous dossier.
    The ex-spy said in a deposition that his email accounts were ‘wiped’ clean of any correspondence related to the dossier. It is not clear if Steele deleted the accounts himself.

He also admitted he no does not have information related to debriefings he had in 2016 with his lone source of information for the dossier.

Steele suggested in a statement late last year that he ‘meticulously documented and recorded; his meetings with the source.”

Wiped? Like with a cloth or something?

self preservation.

• MaureenW

/  26th April 2020

I remember it well .. they’re slowly but surely digging away at all the traitors involved. .. Wonder if they’ll get to Barry?

10. lurcher1948

/  26th April 2020

Worth a try, thinking of Alan and Davids love of a human who spray paints his face orange and sounds really stupid
    As i said lets spread the truth without censorship…there are idiots who actually support and follow his advice, some have died DARWINS LAW,

/  26th April 2020

Andrea Vance tries to pretend she’s not just a Jacinda fangirl & fails miserably.