Jami-Lee Ross proposes new party

Jami-Lee Ross, the independent (ex National) MP for Botany, is proposing a new political party called Advance New Zealand,  but plans can’t be very advanced because most domain name variations are still available. I don’t think speculating would be a profitable exercise.

NZ Herald: Former National MP Jami-Lee Ross is forming his own political party – Advance New Zealand

…Jami-Lee Ross is starting his own political party ahead of this year’s election and is calling it Advance New Zealand.

In one of his semi-regular newsletters, Ross last night asked his supporters if they would join with him in starting a “new political movement”.

“I want to see a democratic country that has brave voices in the middle that speak truth to power”.

Ross is hoping a new political party which he leads will help return him to Parliament.

Sounds very self-interested and undemocratic.

Our democracy no longer represents middle of the road average Kiwis – there are two blocs of parties with a handful of minor parties subservient to their big brother and sister.”

He said none of the established political parties have been prepared to speak out against the new risks the country is facing from the Chinese Communist Party.

“We are about to feel the economic effects of aligning ourselves so closely to China.”

And he thinks that his previous political experience will give him the edge.

“No new party has made it to Parliament without a current or former MP leading it.”

Although Advance New Zealand has not officially launched yet, he’s sounded out his supporters to gauge their perspective.

From my perspective any new party has huge hurdles to overcome, like getting 500 members, getting funds and getting credibility. Ross is unlikely to attract popular support outside Botany, and inside Botany could also be a challenge.

Last election Ross won Botany with a 12,839 vote minority, but he got a similar number of electorate votes as National got party votes.  Ross first won Botany in a by-election in 2011.

1. Assuming it gets off the ground, it’ll only cannabalise the conservative right wing vote further.

ACT is quite fortunate that most right wing off-shoots are conservative rather than liberal.

/  30th April 2020

there’s an idea..he could stand for ACT.Its always been a dumping ground for past their use by date…politicians.

• Duker

/  30th April 2020

Fiscal conservatives surely, socially liberal and they get 0.5% of the vote. Something tells me its a contradiction in terms held together by it’s own absurdity , paid for by a millionaire living on a spainish hilltop Villa for tax reasons.

2. Blazer

/  30th April 2020

they will pay JLR off surely…find him a sinecure…he has more dirt.

/  30th April 2020

Bit late for a pay off isn’t it ? He’s been charged with deception or fraud or whatever bybthe SFO & had his reputation pretty comprehensively trashed by the Nats. If he had more dirt I rather think he’d have flung it about by now.

Unless there really is someone in their caucus prepared to try & use JLR to remove Bridges from the driver’s seat.

I think he’s dreaming.

• Duker

/  1st May 2020

Dirt was equally dished back hard by [Im careful here] and favoured contacts in media.
        Its the classic election coming up strategy .. keep your powder dry until the last few months. has more impact then
        So the ‘bit late’ claim isnt how the lead up to elections works. We already know Bridges has personally contacted the political editors of the main media to warn them of defamation claims. Whats Bridges worried about , as we all know hes without stain !

/  30th April 2020

Delusions of grandeur personified. Astonishing lack of self-awareness. Is he being manipulated?

4. oldlaker

/  30th April 2020

I’m looking forward to his testimony on the stand. I imagine there’s still a lot he can tell us about the Nats’ links to the CCP. He won’t have much to lose by then.

• Duker

/  30th April 2020

Based on his previous cunning, I think he must have assumed he might be the scapegoat …unless he has a recorded phone call or text that has Bridges direct knowledge , that’s how it’s going to go down.
      It’s also very strange the SFO hasn’t used the Election donations law but bypassed it to use law over deception. Maybe this is so any evidence over what happened when the donors decided to be so generous to national with $200k…a huge amount by NZ standards

5. duperez

/  30th April 2020

Speculating mightn’t be a profitable exercise but I’m going to speculate that it’s going to be a spectacular fizzer.

6. Duker

/  30th April 2020

Nationals best hope is for JLR resign from parliament in the period before the election when a bye election isn’t held and leave the ground clear for Bridges who’s up to his neck over the donations timeline.
    JLR best hope is to make a big fuss and have his own party and contest the next election to make the most trouble for his nemisis Bridges.
    My personal thoughts are that JLR is political realist and knows Advance NZ has no hope, so what is he really after with his opening Gambit in this chess game
    As for 500 supporters that’s only for registered parties who want contest party vote and be eligible for broadcasting funding. I can’t see him getting 500 people, but that might not be what he wants but it might have a 500 in there

/  30th April 2020

What makes you say he’s a political realist?

He’s given me the impression from how things have gone that he’s a self-absorbed, ambitious, (to the point of malicious) schemer who actually wasn’t & isn’t politically realistic.

He seems not to have anticipated anything that has subsequently happened & blown up in his face.

• Duker

/  30th April 2020

Hello..that describes 25% of all existing MPs…that’s how the place operates…ACT especially was practically all bonkers

/  30th April 2020

Well if it also includes JLR, how many of those 25% would you think are political realists?

I sure can’t see the National Party wanting to give him 500 anythings – other than uppercuts.

• Duker

/  30th April 2020

Wants and gets are different things…for equally bizarre world look at current NRL return to play day by day happenings…it’s a whole new level of mad nutters and they have $100 mill at stake….but the common action for each group is …..more money for me.

• Duker

/  30th April 2020

Ross was a party whip for years….he knows secrets we didn’t even know were secret as he herded cats, wrangled prima Donna’s and corralled snakes.

/  1st May 2020

Re: “More money for me” – yeah, it’s not something I identify with; the drive to amass obscene amounts of money. Enough to be financially secure I understand, & have worked for. Both my natural parents & my 2nd parents were frugal, low income earners & savers, of necessity.

I’m not motivated solely by money.

By the standards used in NZ today, we grew up in poverty, everything in our house & the car & the lawnmower etc were second-hand, but quality. I never felt like we were poor. But my younger brother did.

I still keep to the “going without & saving to buy” rule. I virtually never replace something without seeing if I can more cheaply repair or restore it to working order. Sometimes I end up with a better-performing macine, tool or appliance. (A few DIY disasters all part of the lesrning experience, none I can think of were wasted $ if I did end up having to buy a brand new replacement; I often re-purpose things I can’t repair.)

.Re JRL knowing more secrets & possibly intending to wreak further revenge – I reckon he’s probably already on notice about his other vulnerabilities the Party will exploit if he tries any more of that on. Time will tell.

7. Blazer

/  30th April 2020

UI can see a great movie…title…
    ‘Revenge of the In turned toe…Mutant’!

8. Ruz

/  1st May 2020

I don’t really see what JLR has to offer to New Zealand democracy. His ideology is likely to be mostly the same as National and like a lot of new parties started by MPs who find themselves on the outer the new party is just designed to keep hin in Parliament. So mostly it’s about self-interest.