Open Forum Sunday

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

Tui attacks pukeko

Never seen anything like it before with my own eyes. Boss Tui attacked the young adult male pook that was helping itself to the tuis’ sugar water.

The drama unfolded before my eyes as I was standing in the kitchen with my hands covered in greasy blimmin moisturiser, so I couldn’t quickly whip my cellcam out and video the entire attack. (I ‘d been painting & clean-up turps had dried my hands out.) I was frantically trying to rub the moisturiser in so I could get the vidcam going.

The attack went on for about 7 minutes.

The tui had given up just buzzing the pook – which just calmly carried on sipping & enjoying its sugary beverage. It was body slamming the pook – just like in that final assault shown in this gif. It did it a dozen times or more. It hit the pook from both sides, from above, from down on the ground – from all angles – flying at it from different branches.

It also twiice landed on the fence and hopped sideways along it towards the pukeko, snapping its beak and flapping its wings.

Several times it perched about two feet directly above & in front of the pook, on a branch not visible from this camera angle, flapping its wings & snapping its slender, pointy black beak, while the pook looked up at it in puzzlement.

Pook: “Wtf is wrong with you, tui. Are you bloody psycho?!”
    Tui: “Fk off, bloody thief! That’s MY sugar-water!”

At one point the pook got irritated enuf that it stood on the red bowl and leapt up at the tui, snapping its own beak. I was getting quite worried for the tui. This pukeko is easily capable of killing a tui if it caught it with its beak or “hands”.

Luckily, this young male pukeko seems a very laid back character – reminds me of the late young Aspen, my very first pook friend at Pookden Manor. This bore no grudge and eventually just ambled away, unconcerned, and hopped back down to the stream bank – with no harm coming to either bird.

People get paid to go out into the wild and spend days trying to catch & film the kind of entertaining scenes I get here for free, every day. I really love this place, this stream, and my “wild pets”, which will happily take care of themselves if I go away.

• Rub the moisturiser off, not in, next time. It’ll be worth it.

I am sorry to hear that your birds use language like that. I wonder who they learnt it from.

My tuis have been paying flying visits to the back and front of the house. Now that the big tree is all but bald, it’s obvious whether it’s a tui or blackbird.

I saw a white bird flying past; an albino blackbird ?

/  3rd May 2020

Boss Tui is doing very well. He’s got a score of 9. I’m daring to hope for a 10 by close of play today.

I did actually consider wiping the moisturiser off but would’ve had to turn away from the window to get a hand-towel or paper towel & this was too riveting for that.

At any point the tui could’ve called it off, or the pook could’ve got the tui. I was amazed that the tui kept it up for as long as he did. He was blimmin fearless.

Besides, wiping off the amount of moisturiser I’d put on would probably have taken just as long as rubbing it in. I didn’t want the cellcam to slip out of my hands.

/  3rd May 2020

It’s a miserable wet day down here, but at least the wind’s stopped & the various birds have been coming hopefully to the sugar-water bowl, my lawn, & my kitchen window, ever-hopeful. 😎

• I was lucky that the rain didn’t begin until the birds breakfast clients had had their brekkie and gone. It hasn’t been too bad, nothing like as bad as the prediction was.

2. David

/  3rd May 2020

Good to see Labour have admitted what a problem the RMA is and are Parker is copying pretty closely what National were trying to get done last term. National will no doubt support the changes so this should be quick.
    It only applies to some projects but its a start and a really good sign that Labour may let the shackles off and deregulate.

/  3rd May 2020

what National didn’t try to get done in three terms.

We know too much de regulation unleashes rapacious…’Cowboys’ and environmental vandals.

• David

/  3rd May 2020

I think you will find its being done for government projects mainly such as wetlands, preventing soil erosion as well as larger building projects. Projects still get vetted and have to comply they are just removing the public’s right to object.

/  3rd May 2020

that sounds like a step in the right direction,provided those vetting and ensuring compliance are not compromised.

/  3rd May 2020

I don’t see it as a good sign. The Government is merely waiving the rules for itself as usual. Everyone else remains hamstrung.

3. David

/  3rd May 2020

I hope a few of the stenographers at the daily presser have a read of this and try composing some intelligent questions to their new saint Bloomfield. There is a really frustrating level of detail about these new cases and why we are getting them and why they have been rising this week.

• duperez

/  3rd May 2020

I don’t mind if questions aren’t asked about why new cases are occuring. That gives scope for us to make stuff up. Invariably the best answers are in the community. We know everything.
      On the other hand getting answers from Bloomfield would be good too. When he’s told us, we can play a game of why he’s wrong and that his response is conjecture. Our community knowledge could come to the fore and we’ll hear from some of the many experts.

Is the question that important really? It takes away the time to be used on serious questions.

Yesterday I heard journalists were upset by the boot being put into them on social media about their questioning at the pressers.

I hope they’re not deterred. Go you good thing Tova! I don’t care about why there are new cases, I want the biggies. What colour shoes was David Clark wearing when he carried boxes up the street? Were they banana boxes from New World? Was he given them? Or did he just take them from out the back? When?

Hopefully we’ll get the true oil tomorrow?

• duperez

/  3rd May 2020

Someone asked your question this morning. The answer is on here. I heard it live and haven’t checked where exactly. About half way through.

/  3rd May 2020

1News at 6 put the boot in to the govt last night over their admission, finally, (JAG) that there actually IS a problem with the supply of flu shots in NZ, & that not everybody wanting a flu shot this year will be able to get one.

One of their longer items. They mentioned that Health Dept officials & Ministers, including -vocally – Ardern, had been publicly dismissing the increasingly agitated claims from medical practitioners & their reps that they couldn’t meet the demand from patients told there were no supply problems, when they didn’t HAVE & couldn’t GET flu vaccination kits.

5. Blazer

Corky heaven…’Mikey’x2…

Really, this gormless wonder? 😂

As I said before re NSR having a go at Mikey – it’s all about the timeline. But let’s snigger quietly at these Lefties

To be fair to all…it’s strange times. Even Mikey admits he’s having strange dreams like many folk are at present. I usually dream about Lurchy having his energy payment stopped.
      Or how I could rewire his scooter to give him a gee-up. But last night I dreamt about Warren Beatty and Frankie Muniz. Go figure. 🤨

latent homosexual…or?

/  3rd May 2020

Who knows.. it may have been prophetic.

• At last you admit that Mike H is a gormless wonder. The rest of us have been saying that for years.

/  3rd May 2020

You well know who I meant. I just left it at that to show up worthless posters who have nothing to say. Look who turned up. But in case you cannot differentiate between different people in the clip, I was talking about the gormless narrator. A better advertisement for the Left would be hard to find.

I’m not the rest of you. I think for myself. And I post…just as myself.

/  3rd May 2020

Ok first point: he was an interviewer, not a narrator, Corks. Points deducted for poor observation & lack of reporting/editorial vigour.

2nd point: The intervewer didn’t do or say anything remotely connected with the Left, or with being a Lefty. Points deducted for making shit up.

3rd point: By his own answers, either Past Mike or Present Mike must be a flaming idiot whose opinion is utter rubbish and should be rejected out of hand. Points deducted for not advising this audience which Mike is totally wrong.

4th point: If you think for yourself why do you so often post here indicating that Mikey gets it right because he agrees with you when he probably doesn’t know you from a sack of spuds. Points deducted for claiming credit for Past Mike & Present Mike’s opnions where they inform yours.

After adding up your points, the judges have ruled that have so many deduction the IRD has started taking an interest. Also that you owe them money for wasting their time. Please pay the very large Polynesian bouncer on the way out. And close the door quietly. There are people here trying to sleep.

Thank you.

Next !

• You left yourself wide open for that one, Corky; I doubt if it was done on purpose as you claim. We have heard that one too often. You were asking for it; sitting up and begging for it. And you got it.

End of story. Be a sport and don’t whine and resort to childish insults.

/  3rd May 2020

I honestly don’t know what you mean. Left myself open for what? Some guy who is upset? My question is, why aren’t you fighting your own battles? At least Gezza can string some points together.

But, look. I hate to disappoint.

.1- It’s a fantasy piece, made to look like an interview. Even time travel is mentioned.😂. I’m quite within my rights to use the term narrator.

2- Sometimes, a picture and voice paint at least 10,000 words. Sometimes you make a call on past experience. This guy is probably a Lefty. It’s called playing the odds. I could check further into this but can’t be bothered. Maybe he’s a disgruntled ACT supporter, lol. This from the YouTube account:

Stats
              Joined Apr 28, 2020
              87,558 views

Maybe this chap is a late bloomer? Going by his headset, he looks like a gamer who has been activated by ‘The Hive.’

3- I already have. Maybe people should read more. Is this now a serious interview and not a …whatever you would like to call it.

The rest is just ….mush.

Now, I have stuff to do…after a quick look around.

/  3rd May 2020

His name is Silisi. He doesn’t take cheques. Cash is fine.

• Poor old Corks. Unable to take it although he’s happy enough to dish it out. There’s an old saying about that.

I bet he was a whiny child.

• lurcher1948

/  3rd May 2020

I’m getting heaps from the govt and thanks for paying for it Corky,and stop dreaming about me I’m married

/  3rd May 2020

Don’t flatter yourself…I don’t date sheilas who wear tan strides.

• No, you just dream about…men.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

/  3rd May 2020

See my first comment to you above.. by all means carry on painting a picture about yourself… and your infantilism.

• Oh dear, oh dear…what a poor sport, unable to laugh at himself but happy to sneer at others. How touchy you are, it’s a bit sad.

Don’t forget the deductions that need to be paid on your way out.

6. Corky

/  3rd May 2020

Ultraviolet blood irradiation. Another therapy the medical community won’t move on. Probably because 90% of them have never heard of it. No need for invasive medical diagnosis when the patient can least afford such procedures.. And, only 7-10% of a patients blood needs to be irradiated.

7. duperez

/  3rd May 2020

Other perspectives on the questions reporters ask at the Covid pressers were on Stuff on Friday. I was watching when the question was asked about Trump’s bleach comments.

My reaction at the time was “What?” I felt there was the hope that something would be said, just one word for which could have brought a headline: ‘PM Slams Trump,’ “Ardern calls Trump reckless.’

Who the hell cares? What importance is that to Covid-19 and the situation here? Virtually every ordinary person would think that the whole thing was silly. Bloomfield or Ardern’s opinions on it are important?

Imagine the Pulitzer Prize winning journalist interviewed on their deathbed asked, “What was the question you are disappointed you never got to ask?” “I had the chance in the middle of a pandemic crisis to ask the New Zealand Prime Minister and the Director-General of Health what they thought about Donald Trump floating ideas of drinking bleach.”

“O’Brien’s (Tova) predecessor Patrick ‘Paddy’ Gower is exasperated by the “criticism” of the “bleach question”. (“I put quote marks around that,” he says.) The President of the United States’ bleach comments would go down in history. “If that’s not a question that should be asked, what is?”

Journalists want respect. They’ll get what they deserve. Gower and his ilk in their facile places don’t even have to pretend they get it.

• I am no fan of Tova, but felt that the question should be asked so that the bleach/disinfectant thing could be rebutted as a cure in case any fools believed it and tried it. It needn’t have been done aggressively, just ‘Well, the accepted opinion is that it won’t work as a cure, so we would advise people not to try it.’