Alert Level 2 again – stay safe, stay healthy and enjoy!

We were in Covid-19 Level 2 semi-lockdown for a couple of days from 21 March before ramping up to Level 3 for another couple of days leading in to seven seeks of level 4 lockdown from 26 March, restricting most of us to our homes most of the time.

In that seven weeks I went out briefly just twice, once for a regular blood test and the other time for a flu vaccination. Both of those trips were into the Dunedin CBD for less than an hour and I didn’t enjoy visiting a partial ghost town.

Today won’t be much different for me, work from home as usual. I will probably resume working from the office next week.

Tomorrow I will visit some relatives, seeing them for the first time for months. I’m looking forward to that.

Visiting other relatives is currently on hold as one of them is waiting for the results of a Covid test (Update – fortunately negative). I think it is unlikely that that will be positive but to be sure the test had to be done, and as a precaution contact with that family is on hold.

It is most likely just a cold or flu, but anyone else catching either cold or flu has to get tested, just in case, and should voluntarily isolate – a child won’t be welcome at school with a runny nose or cough, and I would be obligated to stay away from work if having any symptoms that could possibly be Covid.

I’m looking forward to getting out and about in the weekend. I will be staying away from shops and cafes and restaurants even though some will presumably be opening. I see no reason to take the risk of mingling with a possible surge of people getting ‘back to normal’.

First outing will be to a beach. Picking one that will be less crowded will be a bit of a punt. Other than that I don’t know what I’ll do. Fortunately the weather forecast is looking very good, both Saturday and Sunday are predicted to be clear sunny autumn days.

Otherwise I will be easing cautiously into Level 2. I see no need in taking unnecessary risks.

Obviously everyone will make their own choices over the next week or two.

Stay safe, stay healthy and enjoy!

Previous Post

1. David

/  14th May 2020

Life has been almost back to normal for the last 2 weeks, just without shops and cafes and the frustration of not being able to get work supplies. Building sites are totally back to normal I was on 7 of them yesterday, let me tell you it is damn busy out there and with permits still being processed during lockdown there is quite a pipeline of work. Everyone was happy to be back on site.
    I dont think we are getting a recession with the RBNZ pumping gazzillions into the system we will be fine, lets just hope this government doesnt stuff it up with making the dole more attractive than work.

/  14th May 2020

Gonna go for a stroll into the village shopping precinct later this morn when it warms up a bit into another glorious sunny one – just to have a look around at who’s open & who’s not & to say hi to passers-by and their dogs.

Earlier this week there was noticeably more car traffic, & some shops were open, but had tables in their doorways with signs saying what they could do & what shoppers had to.

• David

/  14th May 2020

Cant wait to get the dog to the dog park so he can really stretch his legs and go for a swim.

/  14th May 2020

What breed of dog have you got, David?

• My big dog friend couldn’t decide whether to be delighted at my coming in to his place or miserable because I hadn’t been in for so long.

/  14th May 2020

Most shops in Tawa village were open. I decided to push the boat out & bought a steak & mushroom pie & a bacon & egg sandwich at the Pink Pineapple & brought them home for lunch.

Had to write my name & contact details in a register at the door, like all the other customers, but otherwise it seemed just like any other time I’ve bought goodies there. There’s plenty of room inside to maintain social distancing. The local truckies & road crews will be happy to see this place open again.

3. Traffic looks quite light in Dunedin, usually one of the busiest times of a business day but not busy at all by the look of the webcams and traffic cams.

No school and no tertiary makes a big difference to traffic here, but this is still surprisingly unbusy.

/  14th May 2020

As I’ve been saying from the start the restrictions on outside activities were entirely unjustified anti-science harmful nonsense:

Sunlight and fresh air can protect against coronavirus, Sage adviser tells MPs

• I did a Bad Thing today, Alan.

I got into conversation with a young man who was also walking into town and we forgot the 2m rule and walked along enjoying the sunshine and each other’s company. Then we gave each other a big hug from sheer exuberance at being free again and went our separate ways….

/  14th May 2020

Cut down and cut up a dead tree in my herb garden yesterday. Chainsaw started easily after its lay-off once the rusty owner figured out the safety lock had come on and had to be released. Just hauled a huge pile of the dead small branches and twigs down to the outside deck handy to burn on the wood burner when it gets cold enough. One man and a rope can do most anything.

/  14th May 2020

Like to see you try & cut up a tree with a rope? :/

/  14th May 2020

Simple. Just tie it to my ute and pull it over. Then rip the branches off it the same way. If needs must. Or without the ute use pulleys and another tree stump to do the same thing.

Good one 👍🏼

The ute still the same trusty truck I have fond memories of?

/  14th May 2020

Yes indeed. Still happily chugging along like a good diesel should, touch wood.

7. I went into town; there was almost a festive atmosphere in the city and at the big shopping area which is outside the city. There were some queues, but no one seemed to mind; everyone seemed really happy to be out and about. Even the weather had come to the party.

I bought a handbag and skirt in Farmers, both half price and had lunch in a cafe; these simple pleasures seemed luxurious.