Open Forum Sunday

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

1. NOEL

/  17th May 2020

Yesterday’s discussion on the “Wel!intron Uniforn” reminded me why there was a the dress code difference between various presenters at the midday fo!lies.

Initially though how much we would save it the pol!lies adopted it then realised it would need to be replaced by a expensive corporate fine checked shirt.

2. David

/  17th May 2020

These level rules are a moving feast and change quickly and unexpectedly. I feel quite sorry for some businesses where you gear up and spend money to be able to operate at a very temporary level and then they change the rules on you and its all been a waste of time.
    Went out and had a long lunch yesterday and the contact tracing wasnt being enforced despite there being a barcode method. Apparently the bars were humming on Friday night with bar snacks/meals being used in the true old fashioned NZ way. Poor retailers were told they needed a contact register and then they didnt and some didnt bother opening despite being quite busy in town.

/  17th May 2020

Yeah I dunno what that’s all about. I skipped the tv news last night, so not sure if it came up there, but before I hit the sack I had a quick squiz at Stuff’s front page & this was headlining as the lead item:

Alert level 2 restrictions were made more confusing after the government did a flip-flop on contact tracing rules, Retail New Zealand says.

Guidelines for level 2 were changed on Wednesday to now say retailers no longer have to contact trace customers, but do need to keep them two metres apart.

Retail New Zealand’s chief executive Greg Harford said it’s likely some shops are still collecting people’s details when they don’t need to, because of the change.

• NOEL

/  17th May 2020

Lotto area of the local Paper Plus had spacing stickers on the floor. Third in line eventually served my two one dollar scratches. Went to scratch the bar code a check it at the machine to be to!d you can’t scratch it in here. Went outside and used my keys. Turned around and was I line again.. Got a bonus ticket then back outside you can guess the rest.

Yep nothing on the bonus ticket.

/  17th May 2020

Corky reported a similar experience of not being allowed to scratch his ticket at the Lotto counter at his supermarket. Naturally, in his case, it caused the supermarket equivalent of a
          SWAT team to come running at him tho.

/  17th May 2020

As a matter of fact they were a short distant away laying out the spacing stickers Noel is talking about. Also left out of my previous post on this issue was the fact the workers said it wasn’t their doing; but such measures been mandated by the Lottery Commission. I didn’t think it necessary to mention what I consider trite details. Looks like I’m wrong as your post would suggest.

“Corky / 14th May 2020

Heads up on this too, Lurchy…you cannot scratch an instant scratchy in store. You must vacate the premises; look like a dork scratching madly outside, then reenter the premises to check your ticket via the public scanners away from the main counter. I know this because three workers came running towards in a panic when I started scratching inside. I thought I had written my last post.”

That this requirement was mandated by the Lotteries Commission possibly more likely slipped your mind when you posted that above because you were still in shock after experiencing what you thought was a near death experience?

/  17th May 2020

Not a bad effort/ setup…but no. Of course, I could have lied ( as implied by Kitty) to cover all bases. I was more bemused with a touch of shock when I thought the first responder was going to push me out of the way.

/  17th May 2020

Please stop digging. Just go & tell the person in your mirror to stop making you look like a plonker.

”Please stop digging.”
              Fair enough. I will stop digging.
              Have a great day. Time for me to start work.

• The ‘first responder’ ??? ‘Running towards you in a panic.’ ‘Thought that the first responder was going to push you over’ ???

Does the expression ‘over-egging the pudding’ mean anything to you?

I think that Noel’s experience is the credible one.

/  17th May 2020

Sometimes, going in for a second bite of the apple isn’t a wise thing to
              do. Wisdom, going by your posts, isn’t your providence.

Anyone wanting a little light reading; maybe a chuckle, will find Kitty by clicking this link.🤣

• Not really, it’s just your usual attempt to overdramatise an non-event and digging yourself deeper in by changing the story afterwards when it’s challenged..

• NOEL

/  17th May 2020

Should have added it was the first time in my life that wife got back to the car before me. Good indicator of how much time Covid has added.

/  17th May 2020

I know what you mean. Shopping must be a dreadfully unfulfilling experience for the ladies in our lives at the moment. It’s ok for us – we tend to know what we want, go there, get it, go home. When they set out on a similar mission the average female human ape seems to find it necessary to conduct a detailed personal reconnaissance of over half the shops surrounding the target zone before entering it & checking out half the merchandise before making a purchase & looking for a cafe in which to recover from their exertions. 😎

• I must admit to enjoying looking at the shops on Thursday before I headed into Farmers to look at their specials (I bought a lovely russet skirt and a very pretty handbag, both marked down to half price) The simple pleasure of having coffee and a muffin at Muffin Break was out of all proportion to what it was after 7 weeks. The atmosphere was almost like a carnival; people were happy even in Mitre10. We all felt as if we had been released from house arrest, I think.

/  17th May 2020

That can’t be right…because Kitty said it was too far fetched.

I went to the supermarket yesterday. Head up and looking where I was going, I came upon the meat section. 6 sausages in a tray costing $10.60. Two medium size Porterhouse steaks, $32. Next, in the bakery section, mince pies that retailed for $3.20..now $4.

I feel sorry for beanies. After the initial excitement of all that extra cash, the reality is they may eventually be worse off than pre Covid times. That probably goes for people with jobs.

• NOEL

/  17th May 2020

Why are looking at the supermarket meat Corky
        At present wife has chicken from Auckland, beef from Waihi and others from around the country all offering special prices and free delivery.
        Keep saying it’s a Covid thing and will go the way of the paywave charges when it’s all over.

/  17th May 2020

”Why are you looking at the supermarket meat Corky.”

I just haven’t looked online. When I want meat, I want it straight away. However, with the prices I mentioned, I may change my purchasing habits. But what about beanies, Noel? Mince and sausages are staples for poor people.

• Please don’t invent things that I have supposedly said. It makes you look very silly indeed. I know that I have said nothing of the kind; unlike you, I know what I have and haven’t said.

Kitty Catkin / 14th May 2020
          He told the story and mentioned his dress.
          It must be true if Corky said it 😀

You need to make up your mind what script you are going to use and stick to it.

• There was nothing said here about that; what are you rambling about ?

You told us some time ago about wearing a dress when you wanted a discount.But that has nothing at all to do with what this discussion’s about.

/  17th May 2020

Noticed on a jaunt thru Tawa village late this morning that some open shops have tables with customer contact details registers outside their doors and others don’t appear to have any such registers.

Also am wondering, if this was so important, why didn’t dairies have customer contact registers? They were doing a reasonably brisk trade in milk, newspaper, treat sles throughout level 4. These requirements do seem to be being made up as we go along.

3. lurcher1948

/  17th May 2020

So does Paula Bennett believe in the rule of law or has she gone feral along with the owner of HeadQuarters illegal gathering…but then it isn’t right when the right does it,
    PS along with the man who thinks God talks to him, Tamiki

/  17th May 2020

I think you are missing the point, Lurchy. Here’s a hint….police?🤔

”PS along with the man who thinks God talks to him, Tamiki”

The surname is Tamaki. And no, he doesn’t think God talks to him…he says God has blessed him. Looking at his house, hog and holidays, oh, and his sheilas V8 AMG Merc Suv, he is telling the truth. A truth you need to understand if you want to upgrade from your scooter.😀

/  17th May 2020

A little eye candy to get you through the winter months, Lurchy. Don’t forget to take two 1000 IU capsules of Vitamin D per day.

• lurcher1948

/  17th May 2020

Kids went without food so the Tamakis could rip off the stupid.God doesn’t provide, his denomination does

• According to Bishop Brylcreem, it teaches people to make good use of their money if they give him x% as a tithe.

Well, I suppose that they’d have to learn how to survive on what’s left.

4. Very nice late autumn weather this weekend, clear and sunny (the night sky has been great with no moon). A touch of frost on the grass both mornings but that’s not unusual at this time of year heading into winter.

/  17th May 2020

Last two days here in North Welly have been grey & rather chilly when the Norwesterly breeze came up. But it’s a cool but sunny morn here today.

I’ve had to find and put out a bowl with double the capacity for the tuis’ sugar water this morning, because all six of the Pook whanau have been helping themselves to the sweet beverages in both the red & the blue bowls, & it doesn’t take long for six of them to drink them dry.

I dunno if they can taste that it’s sweetened water; as an experiment yesterday I just put plain unsweetened water in the blue bowl & the pooks were just as happy to drink from that one as the red one.

Strange that you’ve had no night sky moon down there when we’re getting a crescent moon visible thru cloud patches. Mind you, I’m still trying to reset my body clock; sometimes I’m up in the kitchen at 2 or 3 am before heading back to bed, and I see it thru the kitchen window. I’m a perennial sky-watcher.

• Moon rise was 12:42 am this morning, 11:37 pm on Friday, so too late for me to notice.

• The moon seemed to go from a crescent to a full moon very suddenly. There’s a Chinese saying to the effect that if the girl in the moon is wearing a lot of silk coats, it will be a cold night.

We have had some superb starscapes in recent times. The sky is covered with them in all directions.

It’s cold at night, but still warm enough during the day to wear summer clothes, although the diehards who dress by the date and not the temperature are dressed for winter. I am in a shortsleeved dress today.

• One of the mynahs drinks the water from the birdbath, the fool. I don’t know if it’s Mutt or Jeff as they are identical.

/  17th May 2020

Jeez really notice how harsh the light is from the sun being so low in the sky at this time of year; it washes out the colour on video clips taken with my little Sony Ericsson 3G mobile. The auto light filter can’t adjust to it very well at certain camera angles.

Boss Tui lost his rag again when a pookling started helping itself to his sugar-water around 2.30 pm today:

The tui had to abandon the attacks soon after though because all 6 pooks turned up & he realised he was hopelessly outnumbered.

Chris Finlayson:

We have seen two general approaches to the imposition of coronavirus restrictions around the world. Some countries have relied on largely voluntary compliance with restrictions. Others have taken more authoritarian approaches with strict penalties for those who do not follow the rules.

Since the end of March, New Zealand has adopted the worst aspects of both of these approaches: vague requirements underpinned by the threat of enforcement. How many of us were ever really sure of the precise requirements of “staying local”? How many of us knew that, when we were told we could travel within our regions for recreation at level three, the destination also had to be “reasonably accessible” from our houses? How many of us knew at any point what the Police could or could not ask us to do?

Many restrictions imposed on New Zealanders were announced by the Prime Minister in press conferences and were often inconsistently communicated across the government and Police. If New Zealanders wanted to find the actual legal authority for many of these rules – particularly in the early days of level four – they would have been searching for a long time.

It has now become clear the government essentially imagined the Coronavirus restrictions operating in a largely co-operative, voluntary manner, underpinned by feel-good instructions such as ‘be kind’ and ‘be strong’. We were told that the Police would seek to educate the public.

This was not, however, the full story. From day one, the Prime Minister warned that there would be strict enforcement of the requirements. The former Police Commissioner, Mike Bush, threatened New Zealanders that “we may even have a little drive with you to see where you’re going” and with a “trip to the cells” if they did not follow Police instructions.

We now know that, at least for the first several days of the level four restrictions, it is unlikely the Police had the legal authority to carry out the former Police Commissioner’s threats. The Director-General of Health subsequently issued a new order under the Health Act to try to address the situation. This order and others are now themselves the subject of a High Court challenge about their legality.

6. Trump has fired four inspectors general in less than six weeks because he believes in transparency and is the most ethical and law-abiding president of the modern era.

Truth.

• It’s almost as if Trump has something to hide:

May 15, 2020
      Steve Linick, State Department Inspector General
      ~ opened an investigation into Pompeo’s “misuse of a political appointee” to perform personal tasks

May 1, 2020
      Christi Grimm, HHS Inspector General
      ~ warned of “widespread” and “severe” shortages of testing supplies and PPE

April 7, 2020
      Glenn Fine, Defense Department Inspector General
      ~ oversaw US$2 trillion in coronavirus emergency funds

April 3, 2020
      Michael Atkinson , Intelligence Community Inspector General
      ~ told Congress about whistleblower complaint that led to Impeachment

/  17th May 2020

Election year, Ishmael. Both sides want their issues in the news and will do whatever it takes to get them there. It was about this time Obama started investigating Trump wasn’t it?

7. I just watch ‘R & R’ (TV3 +1) around maori perspectives on the upcoming ‘cannabis Reeferendum’
    They covered lots of good ground: R20, better regulated than Black-market, education & Healthcare.. NOT Prohibition/Zero-tolerance etc.

At the start they had a quick ‘which way are we voting’ 3/4 said ‘YES’.. at the end the lone ‘no’ voice said that after the korero.. she will now consider voting ‘Yes’ too

One comment (IMHO) summed it up
    >’It is better to shine a light on the issues, rather than ignore them’; informed choices rather than Misinfo. & propaganda/BS

btw; (4 corky); they stated that alcohol is by far the biggest DRUG problem in Maori communities not Cannabis/MJ

🙂 🙂 😀

/  17th May 2020

”It is better to shine a light on the issues, rather than ignore them’; informed choices rather than Misinfo. & propaganda/BS.”

The light has been shone on this issue for ages. Maori stats tell a story. I have never said booze wasn’t a major issue..it is. But guess what, Zedd? Ever seen a bro who has combined the two? Yep, two is better than one,huh.

I stand by my comments and look forward to being vindicated. Things won’t degenerate further for Maori straight away…give it a few years for the rot to set in. R20? Yep, that will stop the young from experimenting.

Quote:

”Of Māori who had ever used drugs, 30.8% first did so at age 14 or younger, compared with 16.9% of non-Māori. 28% of Māori had used drugs recreationally in the previous 12 months, compared with 17% of Europeans, 17.9% of Pacific people and 5.7% of Asian people.”

”In 2012 the United Nations reported that use of marijuana was particularly high in Oceania (which includes New Zealand, Australia and the Pacific Islands) – 9–15% of the population, compared to 3–5% worldwide – so the rate of use by Māori was amongst the highest in the world.”

Maori stats would be higher than those stats if my experience is anything to go by.

• eyes on the prize… IF alcohol is worse or eqully as bad, then why not have a level playing field; legalise the herb OR ban alcohol too ?!

I still say that ADULTS should have the freedom of choice.. the LAW is an Arse & it smells REAL BAD !

• The law is a ass; a idiot.

That’s what Mr Bumble actually said when he was told that in the eye of the law, his wife acted under his direction….so he was legally responsible for crimes committed by her !

8. duperez

Their Sunday Morning song from last Sunday. An oldie but a goody done this way:

YNZ BREAKFAST REPORT

I suppose someone should try & keep these up until Blazer deigns to return, seeing they seemed so important to him.

So (yes, very 2020, starting with “So”) this morning I had a milky coffee with sugar, a banana, microwaved mince (incorporating mixed veges) on two slices of canolaed NW Value wheatmeal toast, & a plate Pam’s apricots in juice.

The pooks had wheatmeal bread chunks, some grass clippings, & some plain water (I put the tuis’ sugar water out later these days, after the pooks have returned to the stream for their day’s mahi).

• I had my usual, accompanied by a cappucino.

The dog had three chunky dog treats ($10 a kg at The Warehouse) and a dental stick, and the birds had wholemeal bread chunks and apple pieces.

I had my usual

Afraid I’m not seeing a great future for you as a restaurant reviewer if this is all the reader gets by way of description of your breakfast.

/  17th May 2020

Last guests left some frozen dough cookies in the freezer so half a dozen got baked and shared here with coffee. Very satisfactory.

Stuff 12:08 PM

“Some superpowers have horrendous Covid-19 outbreaks and should see how smaller nations — like NZ — have responded.”

(Still early days yet, though…)

• Hollow laugh….

They should be looking at how Taiwan and Vietnam have done it without stuffing up the economy.

If they look closely at us, they may be surprised.

11. lurcher1948

/  17th May 2020

I hope the police go around to the Tamakis at 1 am tomorrow morning and remind him of the law in regards to church meetings,and take hin down to the station for an internal search,for this mornings donations,i hate smug charlatans,who are also rightwingers.

/  17th May 2020

You are a true socialist, Lurch: “Lock up anyone who wants freedom”.

/  17th May 2020

Lurchy is also a heathen , Alan. A small donation to the Bishop, and his soul would be saved.

/  17th May 2020

A worrying possibility, Corky. Lurch’s contributions to God’s weekly epistle may lower the tone somewhat.

/  17th May 2020

Not having the misfortune to live in Auckland, I pay little attention to the vacuuous doings of its glitterati, so when some people lately have moaned about this chap Molloy I’ve not been bovvered. Still, for some reason, today I decided to see what Ali Mau’s gripe was:

I don’t go to bars very often, but I have been to HeadQuarters, which is good for the purposes of this column but was bad for my overall mental health. After a lovely day in the sunshine watching Serena Williams play at the ASB Classic in early January 2020, I wandered down to the Viaduct to attend farewell drinks for a dear colleague.

It was OK while we were sitting outside by the water, but less so when I ventured inside to go to the loo – as I left the table someone loudly warned me to steer well clear of the dancefloor, which was apparently covered in vomit. The sun had only just set at this point.

Safely back outside, I was talking to my friends when a small figure bowled up and interrupted us, cutting me away from the group like a practised border collie. I had no idea who he was, which appeared to both perplex and upset him to the point that he immediately told me he was Julie Christie’s brother. He also told me he was the one who was up for breaking suppression on the Grace Millane murder case, and that he would be using my writing in court to help defend himself.

This went on for some time and as I was opening my mouth to say “oh please, really I beg you, there’s no need for you to do that”, a slightly tipsy colleague dragged me away. She also had no idea who he was, later admitting that from the rear, she thought I’d been accosted by an elderly lesbian fan. I said she shouldn’t talk like that about lesbians, who in my experience are very nice people. I was left with the impression that Leo Molloy thinks Leo Molloy is by far the most interesting person in any given room at any given time — but at that point I was merely bemused, not completely revolted. I am now.

Seems to have a lot of well-known & influential “friends” who went to his party though. What’s that about? Is he filthy rich or something?

Thank goodness Wellington has a better class of rogue.

/  17th May 2020

Yes, stick to the pooks, G. There is a good reason I don’t read Mau’s columns.

/  17th May 2020

. ”I said she shouldn’t talk like that about lesbians, who in my experience are very nice people.”

Lordy..Bishop Brian may have a point.

/  17th May 2020

I don’t pay much attention to him. Seems like nearly every time I see or hear about him I’m reminded of these words from one of NZ’s more eminent sages & communicators:

So, anyway, whatever – what point is it exactly that The Bish has made re the article excerpt you’ve quoted that you think might be somehow particularly apposite, & why, Corks ?

• Don’t ask, or he’ll tell you.

/  17th May 2020

Let he big boy speak for himself. You seem to pop up whenever he posts to me. Are you his caregiver or bodyguard?

* t

• Neither, of course. But your diatribes do tend to ramble on.

/  17th May 2020

Then ignore my diatribes. Seems a rational decision to take. When you start dribbling on with inanities, do you see me engaging you? In fact 99% of the time you engage me first. Let’s change that. You are surplus to my requirements. Go elsewhere.

/  17th May 2020

Seems the Bishop has many biscuits.. probably more than that ‘droner’ in that picture.

The Bishop believes liberals and heathens are bringing Gods wrath upon our communities and the the world. Mau would be a good candidate for his displeasure.

Her censure regarding lesbians is a liberal totem for me… the Bishop would probably say it indicates the moral rot in Mau’s sole.

In fact she’s a quintessential liberal in my view. Just as the Bishop is the quintessential conservative hater.

* soul.

• Duker

/  17th May 2020

The Bishop wants to rattle the tin for more money from the congregation…those tithing will have had a drop in income and thus a drop in tithes

/  17th May 2020

Are you suggesting he may have to downgrade to a feral suburb? The shame… the loss of mana. In fact you are speaking blasphemy, Duker.
              Twenty ‘Hail Marys’. You post like a Catholic.

/  18th May 2020

He’s really just a self-appointed pastor. Don’t think there’s been anybody in his Church hierarchy with the ecclesiastical authority to appoint him as a Bishop, & self-nominating I doubt any other Christian churches would accept as a valid process.

Kimbo might have some expertise to contribute, or to contradict me here?

As the heaps of bikkies pastor Tamaki & his Mrs have acquired have likely mostly been acquired from his mostly unsophisticated & clearly very gullible flock, I see the guy as not a shepherd of his flock, but a shearer of it, Corks.

In criticising Tamaki, Duker isn’t blaspheming, Corky. Not unless you & Tamaki both consider that he is God.

From time to time I have wondered whether, and when, Tamaki might suddenly announce that he is now an Archbishop.

There’s some anecdotal evidence that some of his church’s programs have been successful in turning ratbags & violent thugs into more decent human beings, but likely at the cost of selling themselves & 10% of their income to his manipulations.

And, looking at the US prosperity gospel style of his ministry, the various campaigns of religious intolerance & quest for theocratic government, & the opulent rock star/biker boy lifestyle he projects, I frankly wonder if he’s even a true Christian, or actually just a charlatan exploiting a useful niche for his own personal enrichment.

A whitened sepulchre inside a tanned exterior.

/  18th May 2020

When you start dribbling on with inanities, do you see me engaging you?

Well, if they are in any way related to some comment of yours or mention you, actually you DO. I’m amused at how often you attempt to pretend you are not engaging with her by studiously avoiding replying directly below her comment & electing instead to respond by posting your riposte, or remarks that cover hers, as a reply to someone else in the thread, or a new comment.

It’s a joy to behold, you two exchanging fire with you attempting to drop your return salvos in from a distance & trying to market your delusion that you are ignoring her. 😎

I admit that Kitty does have a propensity to sometimes embellish & / or slightly misrepresent something you have said earlier – as you do hers – so you sometimes have amusing exchanges over your respective straw men. And clearly she does not hold you in the affectionate regard that I often do.

But, given your propensity for embellishment of the tales of your various adventures, & the fictional tales you make up about Lurchy & Kitty yourself, you do invite the reader who knows something of your posting history to be somewhat skeptical about whether your tales are truth or fantasy.

/  17th May 2020

“Their study, which has not been peer reviewed yet, will increase concern over Beijing’s cover-up after it silenced whistleblowing doctors, delayed admitting to human transmission and blocked outside teams of experts from investigating.

Earlier this month, it emerged that a Frenchman was a confirmed case four days before China notified the WHO about a new ‘pneumonia-like’ disease.”

All sounds very exciting, but let’s see what the peer reviewers come up with.

13. lurcher1948

/  17th May 2020

So poor old Alan W was moderated on Kiwiblog,WELCOME to the world of moderation Alan, where the righteous are banned(moderated and whatever/whoever can post…its a strange old world

What ? When ? Where ?
      Could it have been an imposter ?

/  18th May 2020

Kiwiblog allows edits but they get moderated due to some weird WordPress logic that doesn’t discriminate as to whether the author is supposed to be moderated. So I just reposted the edited version with a comment about the daftness of the system and that went through immediately unmoderated.

/  18th May 2020

I don’t want to have to crawl thru Kiwiblog looking for the reason you deserted us. Do you have a link?

/  18th May 2020

Not exciting. This is the original edited post. The second with comments eventually moderated is a bit further down.

• I’ve been caught out by edited comments switching into moderation too. It’s a nuisance. I take a bit more care but also just leave comments unedited rather than lose them to moderation.

The reason is [(KB) Mod. – To stop posters adding content not permitted.]

I presume they can’t differentiate between approved and unapproved commentators once comments have been edited.

/  18th May 2020

The link was an interesting read. Of course, attempting to reduce that to a simple list of instructions immediately intelligible to the general population with IQ ranging from low to near genius would probably result in nearly as many easily confused people as we have now. Hence why officials have gone for a blanket lockdown response & very simple comms messaging.

14. lurcher1948

/  17th May 2020

One bright rightwinger, notice his knuckles

/  17th May 2020

You are the type of person who will be fried by a 5G tower, Lurchy.