Open Forum Thursday

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

1. Corky

/  21st May 2020

I went to the hospital again last night as a support person. This time as we were going through the renal dialysis unit, a side door was open, outside was a huge industrial skip.
    I watched as two workers packed down the full skip of equipment that had obviously come from the renal unit. The equipment looked fairly new, with one having a red sticker showing an inspection date starting in 2018. I hope this was old equipment. The thought of some cleaning procedure not being followed to guard against Covid, and resulting in all that equipment being chucked, is nauseating.

/  21st May 2020

It’s not the inspection date on dialysis supplies & equipment that’s important, it’s the expiry date & any indication that the packaging seal has been damaged. Quite normal for dialysis equipment to be thrown out if it’s past expiry date or packaging is ruptured or damaged in transit or storage.

/  21st May 2020

I was hoping that was the case. Given they probably work 24/7, their used by date would come up very fast.

2. There will be no further breakfast reports out of respect for their lost instigator who went missing some days ago & who searchers have so far been unable to locate most likely due to not trying hard enuf.

No air searches have been possible due to Pook Squadron not having the remotest idea of what on earth I was talking about.

That is all
    Sir Gerald

• I saw a lame pook yesterday, It didn’t seem to hurt her, just slow her down and make her ungainly.

I will never forget the two who used to run down the hill, with her just far enough in front to give him hope that he might catch up, But he never did. Hope reigned eternal in the pookie breast. I hope that he was given his reward eventually, poor birdie.

/  21st May 2020

Possibly been in a scrap. Sweety & Aspen both had terrible limps after a really vicious scrap with one or more out-of-territory exploring adult pooks a couple of weeks ago. (The scrappers seemed to be trying to drown each other. It was quite disturbing to watch.)

They must’ve been soft tissue injuries tho, because although they were both unable to put much weight on their left legs for a weeknor more, & their pronounced hobbling made one wince with empathy, they have both slowly recovered.

It’s evident that they both still have some pain when they run; they tend to hop & skip travelling at speed, but their walking is ok now.

• She didn’t seem to be in any pain; my reaction was to make some sympathetic remark, but she wasn’t wincing or showing any signs of distress, and there was no sign of an injury. It looked as if that leg didn’t bend properly for some reason. They wouldn’t care if they were ungainly as long as they could still walk. She was slower than the others, but not as slow as someone in pain would be.

This area ought to be renamed Pookville, there are so many.

/  21st May 2020

Also, the skies clouded over last night & are still dull grey this morning as at 9am, so no frost today at Pookden Manor.

4. lurcher1948

/  21st May 2020

So let me get this straight – Trump has been taking a malaria drug to protect him from a virus that is a hoax made up by the democrats to cause him to lose the election? worth pondering about

/  21st May 2020

Forget about Trumpy, Lurchy. I went to the supermarket to buy some yummy roast beef. That was the plan, but that plan didn’t work because my supermarket now doesn’t have a delicatessen. If that type of restructuring is going to happen across multipe businesses, I would suggest you stock up on scooter parts.

/  21st May 2020

Our deli at NW only has veg fish & animal parts. No scooter parts.

• I have never seen them at P & S, either.

Does anyone know why delis are no longer at supermarkets ? I can’t see any sense in this.The odds against anyone catching the virus there are enormous.

/  21st May 2020

”I have never seen them at P & S, either.”

Just a query.. if Gezza told you to stand in the middle of the road with your eyes closed for 10 minutes, would you? If so, why?

/  21st May 2020

Our NW deli opened for business again on Wednesday.

/  21st May 2020

I’m more puzzled by why our NW Bakery isn’t selling their yummy apple, blueberry or apricot danishes, or their herb n cheese scones?

• P& S doesn’t have things like loose muffins, either. And the bulk bins are nowhere to be seen. I went off those when I saw a woman with a dirty bandage putting her hand right in.

As cafes are selling bare naked cakes and muffins, why aren’t supermarkets ? I hadn’t noticed the deli as I don’t eat meat anyway.

/  21st May 2020

Thanks. I was trying to remember what else the Bakery isn’t putting out in the self- service racks these days. Muffins is another absent offering. I don’t like muffins; it’s the apricot danishes & sometimes the scones I go for if I’m in the mood for a morning tea treat when I get home.

They ARE doing very nice apple turnovers & croissants tho.

• Duker

/  21st May 2020

Those cut meats delis are a big source of food poisoning.
              Mostly from incorrect storing in home fridges and keeping it too long, as being thinly sliced reduces use by date to 1 or 2

• Ugh !!! But they have a use-by date, don’t they ? Anyway, that’s the customers’ look out.

P & S also have loose cibattas and such things, or did. And scones. Sigh.

/  21st May 2020

I think you will find scooter parts at a shop that sells scooters. 😕 Maybe!

/  21st May 2020

I see. Thanks for that. No use to me if they don’t have a deli.

• lurcher1948

/  21st May 2020

I’m feeling happy,my X Trail scooter passed a wof at Porirua VTNZ,I took my chompers out with the feeling of joy I felt,clutched them to my heart and thought good thoughts of PM Jacinda Ardern.

/  21st May 2020

I hope you postrate regularly towards the Beehive giving thanks to your great Lefty goddess, Lurch. Fifty Hail Jacindas daily?

• lurcher1948

We Jedi don’t follow the Catholic faith Alan

/  21st May 2020

The Force is clearly with you, Lurch. Regards to Red and the long-suffering Mrs L.

/  21st May 2020

Nearly correct, neighbour. You need to read news articles more carefully & fact check more often. Trump never said the coronavirus was a hoax. He said the Democrats’ claim his administration wasn’t doing anything about addressing it was a hoax.

• duperez

/  21st May 2020

I suppose that is a lesson about being correct about what we say. Like ‘Ardern proposing a four day working week’ when in the quoted instance she hasn’t done what is depicted.

Everyone will make their own mind up about Trump’s imputation in that particular ‘hoax’ reference. (Has anyone in the world ever used that word more.)

You know he like most politicians, plays with words and gets a message out without being specific. That is simply the way he operates, even moreso when he is under pressure.

Like this example – just another one. In a normal world this would have been seen a outrageous.

• Duker

/  21st May 2020

It’s more correct to say Trump referred to it as hoax, and only later ‘explained’ it to mean The democrats criticism.
        From January until last week, Trump consistently minimized the risk the coronavirus posed to the country. He claimed to have the virus under “control,” that the number of US cases would go “down, not up,” that the virus might “disappear” through a “miracle” or something of the sort, that the virus might well vanish by April with the warmer weather, that the media and Democrats were overhyping the situation, and that “this is their new hoax,” leaving it unclear whether he was calling the virus itself a hoax. (He later said he was talking about Democrats’ coronavirus-related criticism, not the virus.)”
        Key was a master of the double flip , denying he ever said the original words, but inserting a new virus word to change the meaning
        No increase in GST caught a virus words balance the budget
        Getting our boys out of Pike River no matter what caught a virus word reasonably
        Promising No surveillance of Kiwis caught the virus word ..wholesale
        Of course he had to have most of the journos eager to repeat his revised versions.

/  21st May 2020

No, I’ve got it right. I don’t like the loon, but I actually happened to watch the whole of the particular rally where he told the boofheads who attend these that the Democrats saying that his administration & he were not doing anything about the coronavirus was a hoax.

The Dems quickly morphed that into the fake news that he’d said THE VIRUS was a hoax & more boofheads who are anti-Trump boodheads believed that.

I’ve had to correct boofheads here before on this. Snopes covered it well.

5. The forecast frost was a non-event. I went around with frost cloth, a torch and scissors covering frost tender plants, but needn’t have bothered. It didn’t feel as if one was coming, I must say.

A magnolia tree on the walkway had a fully grown magnolia on it.

/  21st May 2020

And in wildlife news from Pookden Manor, Sweety has now been joined by both pooklings in taking bread chunks from my hand.

Two slight downside are that, on the first grab, both pooklings grabbed panickily at offerings I was actually making to Sweety, and their beaks clamped down hard on my fingers on their first go. Those red beaks are like steel traps; it bloody hurt!

After I said:”Ow!”, they each were more precise on their next two grabs & just pinched down on the bread chunks before dashing off to the obligatory safe distance to eat them from their “hands”.

Sweety from time to time chases the smaller one & bites its feathers. From my online researches (there’s not a lot on pook behaviours) it would appear that Sweety is the dominant female in the group & that the smaller one with the higher “voice” is a female, being taught which girl calls the shots.

/  21st May 2020

Oh, sorry – the second downside is that the two pooklings will rush to get any bread chunk held out to any pook; and even flap up in the air towards me to get over & ahead of the others. It’s a bit disconcerting. I may have to give them names & teach them to wait for their name to be called. It works for Bluey, Sweety & Aspen – more or less.

Stuff: Metservice:

Today’s Forecast
          14°c
          Cloudy spells. Brisk northerlies.

Cloudy spells my arse. It’s been grey all day & it’s miserably cool, even tho the breeze is hardly even there. Putting me off going up on the roof to figure out how to put the bottom blue plastic panel back in the burglar alarm box. Has to be done, tho. Will just have to brave the frigid zephyrs up there after lunch.

• Zephyrs are gentle, warm breezes, I think. Yes, they are.(Annandale’s dictionary)

I don’t know why frost was forecast for last night. More fool me for believing it and going round in the dark putting white coats on the plants.

/  21st May 2020

Annandale can go whistle La Maseillaise, Madame.

Je vais avec

zephyr
              noun: zephyr; plural noun: zephyrs
              1. LITERARY
              a soft gentle breeze.
              2. HISTORICAL
              a fine cotton gingham.
              a very light article of clothing.
              Origin
              late Old English zefferus, denoting a personification of the west wind, via Latin from Greek zephuros ‘(god of the) west wind’. Sense 1 dates from the late 17th century.

C’es tout
              Merci
              Sir Gerald

Pardonnez-moi. FiP!

*C’est tout

Sir Gerald

• Told yer so, din’I ?

Bet you don’t know that gingham just used to mean a kind of cotton and that its current meaning of checks came much later.

6. lurcher1948

/  21st May 2020

I wonder if Mark Michell’s murky past as a mercenary company in Iraq can stand up to deep scrutiny?. What if a hired gun had shoot up civilians, including children and babies in the fog of occupation, and now think hes an MP would this affect the National party

• Duker

/  21st May 2020

Thats been spin doctored into ‘ conflict resolution and logistics manager’.
      Just like Mullers time in student politics and working for Bolger in beehive and then into family kiwifruit business is over looked.
      Fonterra 2011-14
      Apata Ltd CEO 2007- 14 or was it 2011
      Zespri – 2001 -6
      ??????
      NZNP 1994-97
      Other roles Plant and Food Research and University Waikato where party political appointments

Different versions on Linkedin for Todd Muller but they are same person.
      https://nz.linkedin.com/in/todd-muller-32a23031 Tood Muller Mp
      and the older one

/  21st May 2020

Daniel Couch is a Lecturer of Comparative and International Education in the School of Education at AUT.

Enough said. Another slave to the liberal middleclass.

However,Mark Mitchell is a doer. As are most RIGHTIES.

• Duker

/  21st May 2020

All those years as a constable /dog handler….a clear high flyer….didnt take a while to even get there being a shepherd or something

/  21st May 2020

“A High Court judge says a potential deal by a third party to buy media company Stuff could have been endangered if court action from NZME had been successful.

Justice Sarah Katz declined NZME’s application to force Stuff’s owner Nine Entertainment back to the negotiating table on Tuesday, and released her reasons on Thursday.

In her judgement, she said Nine walked away from exclusive negotiations with NZME after being approached by a second potential bidder.

Unlike NZME, the new bidder would not need to have Commerce Commission approval to buy the company.

The new bidder is not named in the redacted judgement but it does say the deal could be closed by the end of May.”

8. duperez

/  21st May 2020

A pleasant break from the crew of the day for (relative) oldies:

/  21st May 2020

Blighter’s got the blue maple neck US standard strat I bloody wanted. Had to get a cherry red one.

/  21st May 2020

The Weight’s a personal favourite of mine. I play & sing that one often if I do sets. That’s awesome.

/  21st May 2020

And Robbie hasn’t got a blue AS strat. That’s just how the light’s reflected off his sunburst one in that particular first video frame.

9. lurcher1948

/  21st May 2020

I have just watched the whining owner of Hennessys Irish bar in Rotorua,Reg Hennessy on Sky tv,saying he cannot wait for Australians to return, then the mighty righty Reg poured out a glass of Guinness, it looked like cold cocoa with no downward going bubbles well NO bubbles BUT what was worse you could have put a shot of Jameson’s whiskey in well,nearly two,so low down from the top Flat beer and not to the top,a bit of a ripoff Reg Hennessy,your average rightwing leaning gentleman (MAXIMINING HIS PROFITS POSSIBLY*)
    * im being polite PG thinks im rude to the ripoff rightwinger bar owners

10. lurcher1948

/  21st May 2020

Sir John Kirwin ,I think Simon Bridges needs a kind word and a shoulder to cry on.Produce the daggers National,and let the deed be done.