Open Forum Saturday

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

@ Corky
    Re:
    Corky  /  25th May 2020
Well, that’s great. Everyone will now know I don’t use multiple identities. My ego is strong enough not to need backup…. and I really worry about talking to myself.
Of course, if you can’t do without backup, you can always use back engineered plagiarism software.

Gezza  /  25th May 2020
It’s been said to me that you started posting here, & targeting a particular poster, under another ID. The name will come to me eventually I reckon. Is that the case

Corky  /  25th May 2020
You tell me…you are the expert.

Gezza  /  25th May 2020
Ok. I’m making enquries. Might be a while before I get back to you. Research will be needed to find & compare styles. Not a priority for me today.

… … … …

I got up early today – before 5 am – so I found some time to a little research of YNZ. It had been suggested to me some time ago that you previously posted here under the handle of Timoti.

I’ve now studied the content & style of that poster thoroughly & carefully. My conclusion is that Timoti is NOT you.

That is all
    Sir Gerald

🙄
      *to do a little research

/  30th May 2020

Correction, bro. I’ve changed my mind, after reading even more posts by Timoti. One in particular demonstrates a style so like yours it’s unlikely to be someone else. Imo, there’s a very good chance Timoti WAS you.

Do you wish to confirm or deny?

Minnesota riots:

CNN African American reporter gets handcuffed & arrested live on tv. Video clip of incident in an embedded tweet. Later, all the crew are released after police satisfied they are Press. The crew are offering to move to wherever the police tell them to go. The police don’t say anything. Odd that they just arrested them.

From scenes shown on 1News at 6 last night Minnesota is like a war zone, with protestors burning buildings & the usual looters helping themselves to merchandise from stores they’ve broken into.

Last night’s 1News report said as the police or National Guard clear one block of burning buildings the protestors move to another one & torch buildings there.m

An Aussie 9 tv crew also shown on 1News reported someone was stabbed in the crowd in front of them. Unrest still spreading to other cities. This is starting to look like the Watts riots.

/  30th May 2020

Poor young female tui. She flew in for a feast of sugar-water but had to retreat to the tree after Sweety Pook and the two pooklings jumped up to all 3 water-bowls after breakfasting on bread chunks. After waiting about 5 minutes for them to leave, she gave up.

One of the pooklings seems to be addicted to sugar-water. The only bowl with sugar-water in it now is the deep one on top of the washing line post. That pookling spends a lot of time slurping it & by 2 pm it’s all gone.

I miss the tuis singing in my tree at regular periods throughout the day. They’re lucky if they get a lucky couple of sips in the morning. The pooks all prefer the sugar-water to plain water.

• Well, they needn’t come crying to you because they don’t have any teeth when they grow up.

/  30th May 2020

I need to clean that kitchen window again. But as soon as I do we get dry windy days followed by & bit of rain & then it’s all smudgy again when I want to video thru the glass.

4. Corky

/  30th May 2020

I have been doing some thinking about who may be on the Queens birthday honours list this year.

1- John Banks.
    2- Winston Peters.
    3- Ashley Bloomfield.
    4- The Pink One.
    5- Nano Girl.
    6-Neil Finn.
    7- John Tamihere. 🤔
    8-Steve Hanson

/  30th May 2020

Jacinda Ardern? Why not? A living saint.

And, if she’s still our PM after the next election, possibly a minor honour each for Simon Bridges & Todd Muller in the New Year’s list for their contributions toward that result?

Banks – Nah. Tamihere – nuh-uh.

Probably about time Neil Finn picked one up.

Steve Hanson, yep. Should do.

Ashley, maybe New Year’s?

The Pink-Tressed one, I doubt. Ditto Nano Girl -unknown to TV1 viewers.

I’ll ponder on other potential recipients.

/  30th May 2020

PS: Should’ve known to check your name spelling.

Steve Hansen.

/  30th May 2020

It’s been spelt both ways. Another rude blogger…just like Kitty. Must run in the family

/  30th May 2020

Aha. You’ve made another completely wrong assumption based on 2 completely unrelated posted comments of mine that evening, bro.

Kitty’s not my sister.

/  30th May 2020

And the rude bloggers are those who don’t do good folk the courtesy of spelling their names correctly.

/  30th May 2020

Like I said, it’s been spelt both ways. I admit my way is incorrect. I looked at the wrong site…first, when checking.

• It’s not usually spelt both ways by the same person. My surname can be spelt at least 5 ways, but I don’t do this. Rodney Hide doesn’t spell his name as Hyde at different time.

Hansen and Hanson are from different countries. Hansen is Danish.

The rudest blogger here is Porky, er, Corkie, er, Corky. The gratuitous insults are very childish..

/  30th May 2020

I didn’t start it. I never do. Notice any common denominators? As long as you and Gezza continue down this road of rudeness, what can you expect?

Maybe, instead of endlessly repeating the same criticism of me, you started contributing to this blog, it would make things better. It’s not hard – when I come across the mistakes you and Gezza make- to work out what is meant.

I’m fascinated by this mad desire to correct others. It’s like a fetish.😕

• Tut, tut, temper, temper.

You do get into a tizzwozz easily, don’t you, if you think that someone either knows more than you or corrects an egregious error ? Or doubts an outrageous story that has supposedly happened to you ?

You have more than once said that I had never been to Europe, although I LIVED there for a while. You have attributed things to me that I have never said, like calling Mexicans ‘wetbacks’.You claim that I don’t own my house (I do) and don’t have insurance (I have) and that I never had a husband (you missed Rodney Hide’s condolences) and so on…

/  30th May 2020

Great deflection. Fools no one. Simple fact. 9/10, you or your buddies start things. If it wasn’t for you, things would sail along nicely.

• That is senseless and you know it. You have said all those things and more when you engage in gratuitous insults. Do grow up.This is a public blog and people will disagree with you. Get used to it.

/  30th May 2020

I expect people to disagree with me. That’s what a blog is for. It’s not for correcting peoples grammar. Don’t deflect..but do show manners. Seems simple to me. I fail to see where I am insulting people.

/  30th May 2020

It’s nothing to do with manners when it’s pointed out to you have made an error, & you launch into overreaction, no matter how courteously it’s done. Other posters don’t go over the top like you & try to guilt trip everyone by pretending its bad manners as though you alone should be beyond correction.

It’s about your perception that your mana is somehow diminished by it. That’s nuts.

I’m not speaking for Kitty here. Your ongoing tussles with her over who can claim to be the most intelligent aren’t the same thing. And I for one have learned never to equate academic qualifications with higher intelligence than someone with none. But nor would I ever suggest someone with academic qualifications is not intelligent.

You are an intelligent person with a sensitive ego.

/  30th May 2020

Your salient point. And maybe a pointer as to my perceived overreaction.

”Other posters don’t go over the top like you & try to guilt trip everyone by pretending its bad manners as though you alone should be beyond correction.”

• You have even gone into tantrums over people’s remarks that are not about you or aimed at you but with which you disagree..

If you can’t see where you are insulting people, there is is little point in trying to show you where you are doing it, invariably gratuitously.

/  30th May 2020

You didn’t mention his knighthood?

/  30th May 2020

Actually I forgot Sir Stephen William Hansen KNZM and High Chief Of Vaiala already had one. So, he’s had his lot. He’s off the list forever.

• Conspiratoor

/  30th May 2020

How many gongs do you want to give hansen?

Question, how many notable kiwis have turned down a knighthood?

/  30th May 2020

Helen Clarke – effectively, by getting rid of them.
        Richie McCaw.

Can’t think of any others doing so who I’ve heard of, but then we may not have been told of all those who have – especially if they declined lesser honors as well.

Herald – Jun 2009
          Only 13 of the 85 people eligible to become knight or dame under the return of titular honours have declined.

Prime Minister John Key said the names of the 72 who have said they would take the title would be forwarded to Buckingham Palace on Wednesday, “then they’re approved and we’ll have a final list”.

Tomorrow was the last day for people to indicate whether they wanted to take up a titular honour and the names of the new knights and dames would be released on August 1.

The titles were dropped in 2000 by the previous Labour government, which instead instituted titles of Principal and Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit.
          … … … …
          Stuff – Feb 2013

“Names of New Zealanders who have turned down a royal honour will not be made public because the Government believes it would “undermine” the integrity of the system.

The Cabinet has declined an official request for a list of refusers’ names – including those who have since died – a decision that was supported by the public watchdog, the Ombudsman.

Critics say the decision is yet another example of the lack of openness in the honours system and have called for the process to be moved outside Parliament. “The secrecy in terms of who’s turned down what is ridiculous,” said Lewis Holden, the chairman of the New Zealand Republican Movement. “We fear there’s a lot of politics going on behind the scenes as to who actually gets an honour. If it’s really about honouring New Zealanders then it should be transparent.”

It is believed – from previous figures released – that as many as 10 per cent of nominees decline to receive a knighthood or become a member of a lower order.

Some of those have turned down honours include author Maurice Gee, former prime minister Jim Bolger and former secretary-general of the Commonwealth Don McKinnon, who revealed in a biography last week he twice refused an honour because he did not believe in the imperial system.

The Sunday Star-Times applied for a list of those who refused a royal gong in the belief the system should be subject to the same scrutiny as other official processes.

The British Government was forced to release a similar list of honours-rejecters last year – which included figures such as singer David Bowie and writer Roald Dahl – after its Information Commissioner ruled the system was robust enough to stand up to scrutiny, and found it was in the public interest to disclose the information for honours rejected before 2000.

New Zealand’s public watchdog, the Ombudsman, on the other hand, said it believed releasing the names would “damage public interest”.

It said because the honours are awarded in an exercise of prerogative power “the process should be free as possibly of litigiousness, recrimination and inappropriate comparison”.

Michael Webster, Acting Clerk of the Executive Council, said protecting the confidentiality around nominations was essential to maintaining the system’s integrity.

The Star-Times, in its request, did not ask for the reasons given for the refusals, but many of those who have publicly declined an honour did not agree with the imperial or “titular” system – where recipients are called “Sir” and “Lady” – which was scrapped by Helen Clark’s Government in 2000 and then reinstated by John Key’s in 2009.

McKinnon, now a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, said he first declined a knighthood in 1999 “as I had been supportive of the review and eventual abolition of titular honours in New Zealand.
          …”

5. Corky

/  30th May 2020

Things are not well in Liberal Land. Unloved Louisa Wall is still battling away.

No wonder Labour want to flick her along…have a look at the contender – Arena Williams- just what Labour needs. Sad to say, when it comes to the crunch, Labour has the social mores of a West Coast miner circa 1948.

An interesting Big Read piece on Defence Lawyers:

“People connect the defence lawyer with the crime,” says Stevenson, “and say you’re defending what happened – which of course isn’t true.”

The almost eternal question defence lawyers get asked is, how could they? How could they get up there, with their fine robes and fine words, and tell a jury not to convict someone who is obviously guilty? How can they sleep at night?

“I’m a bit bemused it’s still a common question,” says Stevenson. “Maybe some bad American TV has caused a misunderstanding, but no defence lawyer takes a confession from a client and goes to a jury and says he’s innocent. If you’re going to trial, it’s because the person is saying, ‘I didn’t do it.'”

Stevenson says this automatic presumption of guilt is reinforced by the way crimes are reported. “Police have been very good in confusing the link between offence, arrest and guilt, in a very slick confabulation. It’s really problematic when police hold a press conference and say, ‘We’re glad we’ve resolved this matter,’ when they arrest someone for murder.”

What this does, says Stevenson, is tip on its head the fundamental concept of innocent until proven guilty, making it seem that if the cops say you did something, then you’re guilty, unless you can prove otherwise at trial.

• If a client says to the lawyer ‘I dunnit.’ the lawyer cannot legally say in court that they didn’t . People don’t understand that the lawyer isn’t necessarily trying to prove that the person didn’t do it, but that they were justiified or that they are ‘not guilty in law.’ This is a simplification, I know.

7. lurcher1948

/  30th May 2020

So will Trump start a war with China this year??????????????????????????? and will Saint Jacinda get involved, [deleted] Muller would wearing his MAGA hat

/  30th May 2020

I don’t think so. But I read somewhere in the last day or two that Chinese State media said Xi considers Trump & the US has declared war on them & China should now becready to respond in all the same ways.

8. lurcher1948

/  30th May 2020

The poor taxpayers union and David Farrar from Kiwiblog whose calling for ALMs to take up the lack of donations from the CCP

PG im alive,still here waiting waiting ki ora

9. lurcher1948

/  30th May 2020

[deleted]…and they call it “FREE” speech

[I call it my first day off and away out of town for three months – PG]

/  30th May 2020

Cool – PG. Where’d you go & how was it there?

• One of my favorite places to go, Moeraki. A walk around the headland – seals are gradually spreading around there. Lunch at the Tavern. heaps of boat trailers parked around the harbour and a lot of boats out on the water, the sea was very flat.

Then a big walk along the beach and back, past Moeraki Boulders both ways.

Another fine late autumn/early winter day here, we’ve had a few of them lately, hardly any rain, and a great forecast for the rest of the weekend.

• lurcher1948

/  30th May 2020

I hope you had a good day PG, i sounded and was PETTY,it was your day off…YOU CANNOT BEAT WELLINGTON ON A GOOD DAY….COME UP…we have a culture