Open Forum Thursday

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

1. Patzcuaro

/  4th June 2020

A rather large foot in the mouth or entrenched racism.

/  4th June 2020

Dunno. He sounds quite thick, but then he’s a Southerner & they sound like that.

But with only a tiny sound bite like that you can’t pick the exact context of that remark. He might be one of those who buys into the Obama Deep State conspiracy shite that many Republicans push.

• Patzcuaro

/  4th June 2020

Could have been light hearted but the optics don’t look good in the current climate.

• duperez

/  4th June 2020

Could be his mind was on other things. He wanted to get home and beat his slaves.
          (Disclosure : Three months ago I watched the Tarantino movie ‘Django Unchained.’)

/  4th June 2020

Could be he doesn’t like Obama…oh, I forgot, that is illegal.

No it isn’t.

• Duker

/  4th June 2020

It was about Obama and ending use of fossil fuels…but probably were only 5000 coal miners in WV. That mining died when cheap gas from fracking came along, reduced CO2 almost as an afterthought

• Pink David

/  4th June 2020

The optics you chose to put on it?

2. Patzcuaro

/  4th June 2020

This is weird. Some weirdo runs up & grabs a female Aussie tv reporter in London yelling “Allah Akbar” before being chased down by her cameraman & caught. Guessing he’s a nutter rather than a terrorist.

Appears to be some confusion over whether he had a screwdriver.

• I would say nutter rather than terrorist, or someone thinking he’s funny or clever. But the laugh’s on him.

Blimmin frightening, though. I was assaulted by a loony in the street and although it hurt, the fright was the worst thing. Earlier this year I was abused and threatened by a nutter at the bus terminal, and although he didn’t assault me it was incredibly frightening. I didn’t know whether to leave and risk him running after me or stay and risk something happening. The security guards heard, came and called the police.

/  4th June 2020

In America you could have pulled out a ”granny gun” and tapped the offender. Quite scary isn’t it…when you have no form of self defence…not even pepper spray. You were lucky that time. What about next time…?

/  4th June 2020

That’s in Venezuela Corks. Lefty land.

/  4th June 2020

Yes, but it’s the clip I want. It shows pure justice. Fair, honest, no plea bargaining, no bias from juries, no lenient sentences from a liberal judge and no getting off on judicial technicalities. To me that clip personifies what true justice is all about.

• That’s not justice, it’s murder. Nowhere is theft a capital offence, as far as I know.

Judges don’t make the law, they administer it.

We don’t have the US style of plea bargaining here, contrary to popular belief. Some people watch too much American television.

I found a wallet in a cafe, had a quick look to see if there was a name…if someone had thought that I’d stolen it and shot me, would that have been all right ? There was a mall staff member there, so I handed it to her.

• I have no idea what a granny gun is; I am not in your age group, Great-uncle Corky.I don’t want to know.

There’s no reason to suppose that there will be a next time, but if there is, there will probably be someone to come to the rescue. These were nutters, not muggers. It wasn’t worth reporting the first one, he was obviously not all there. What would it have achieved ? He just stood there laughing foolishly and I walked away. I have better things to do than hang around a courtroom for a nutcase who wouldn’t remember doing it. The other time help was at hand. No guns were needed.

I won’t bother to watch the video, I know what shot people look like.

/  4th June 2020

”There’s no reason to suppose that there will be a next time, but if there is, there will probably be someone to come to the rescue. These were nutters, not muggers.”

”I won’t bother to watch the video, I know what shot people look like.”

It’s not about shot people. In fact, you barely see the offender.

Enough said… suffice to say, criminals love Gold Card suckers like you. Oh, and good luck.

• You’d better watch out, as I’d say that you have been a Gold Card holder for some time and look it, Great-uncle Corky. .

I don’t have one, and won’t for some time, so I should be all right 😀

/  4th June 2020

How would you know what I look like? More romancing like yesterday?
              I don’t know why you are touchy about your age. I would worry about developing some street smarts.

• I didn’t say that I did, but it’s a reasonable assumption that a great-uncle looks like one and has a Gold Card.

I have been on some very mean streets in different countries, so am not naive about these things. I once witnessed a stabbing in Belgium and unwittingly found myself alone in Utrecht (Holland) in the CBD on a Sunday when the druggies and nutcases take over. I have been in rough streets in London and was followed by a creep in Canterbury (England)

Don’t tell me to develop ‘street smarts’, ducky. And don’t try to tell me how old I am. I am not old enough for a Gold Card; do you think I don’t know my own age ? It’s none of your business, anyway.

4. lurcher1948

/  4th June 2020

I bet the Manakau Christian Church,wished their religious studies/PE teacher hadn’t gone on the march wearing a MAGA hat as its Fox Magic radio host the rightwing Peter Willians topic today,People can be concerned,the the teacher has strange views(on his facebook page) and moulds young minds with his thoughts and has embarrassed the fee paying school he works for
    PS he doesn’t like China,and Chinese

/  4th June 2020

My electric kettle has been leaking, like they all seem to eventually. After various attempts over the last couple of weeks to find & fix the leak have all failed I googled The Warehouse in Porirua, & drove up there arriving 8.05 am & picked another one up for $25 this morning.

I love The Warehouse. It’s like Christmas every day in there. Apart from staff, there was only me & a couple of women clothes-shopping in the place.

So I get home & fill it up & boil it a couple of times, as you need to to get rid of that new kettle plasticky/metallic taste the water always has to start off with.

And I go & put the box away in my big storage cupboard under the stairs. It stacked up nice & neatly, right on top of the box for the other electric kettle I suddenly remember I bought four years ago to keep as a bloody spare.

/  4th June 2020

Wondering if it’s my imagination, but I’ve noticed if I do go into a shop where the staff used to be blasé, even somewhat curt, with customers, these days they are very animated & pleasant, obviously glad of your custom.

• I was there on Wednesday and bought a nighty with a morose looking bulldog and ‘I’M NOT A MORNING PERSON’ written underneath. Also two pairs of pretty slippers, $10 for one pair, $12 for two. One to wash and one to wear.

I keep an emergency jug, too. It’s a $10 WH one. The one I use is a white Zip one, bought on a great special from Briscoes. $15, I think. I find that jugs tend to die rather than leak.

/  4th June 2020

They tend to do that if you boil them with no water in them.

/  4th June 2020

If it’s plastic..it would explain many things.

• I never do boil them with no water in them, but after x years they just stop working, Turn them on and nothing happens, or they go off a second later. But they all seem to claim to have a boil-dry cutoff, although I don’t want to put this to the test.

No, Great-uncle Corky, appliances don’t last forever whatever they are made of and never have. Old people tend to think that in their day appliances lasted much longer, but it’s not the case. Plastic jugs have been around for decades. Do keep up, dear.

”Do keep up, dear.”

If I wrote that I would be moderated.

But talking of keeping up, I was talking about plastic jugs leaking chemicals into water as the heat increases.

You didn’t know !!!??

• Some are alleged to do so, but as so many plastic jugs are sold with no ill effects to the users, I am not going to become paranoid about it.

/  4th June 2020

No ill effects?!! We would be talking years, and with symptoms that may masquerade as hundreds of different conditions.

Even poisoning someone with a known poison can take a while for the effects to be seen.

My last plastic jug was a Kambrook I used in the 90s. From then on it’s been steel all the way. I try not to take chances with my health. I have no problem being called paranoid.

/  4th June 2020

Confirmation that the Lancet paper claiming hydroxychloroquine useless was based on wrong or made up data:

7. Pink David

/  4th June 2020

This is a great question for our age, anyone got an answer?

/  4th June 2020

Because they have Covid-19 Lockdown rules forbidding more than 10 mourners present.

• But a protest of standing room only is acceptable, as it is here.

/  4th June 2020

Well, no, not to the people who make lockdown rules that apply to everyone except them.

So now I guess The London Police Chief will have to go on tv & give all those folk a warning, & if they do it again, they’ll have to all be tracked down & prosecuted, I imagine.
          Not!

• At least their PM and his medical adviser aren’t having photos taken of themselves breaking the rules that they are ordering everyone else to follow.

/  4th June 2020

This site is sorely lacking in pukekos. Imo.
    Just saying.

• There’s no reason why they shouldn’t post here; just invite them.

No sugar water?

• Well, they needn’t come crying to me that their voices aren’t being heard on YNZ.

/  4th June 2020

Been raining on & off all day. The mild northerly’s just switched to a southerly. It’s started pouring down & the wind might be cutting up tough. I think the forecast included possible thunderstorms.

/  4th June 2020

Scruffy weather here too. Clear and cool at present.

• It’s been one of those make up yer bloody mind days here. Mostly fine and sunny and warm; I was in a short sleeved dress and barefoot all day. Then there was some drizzle and later a very shortlived downpour followed by warm sunshine again.

Little Nikki Kaye v The Old War-Horse Winston Peters
    (Haven’t watched it yet)

/  4th June 2020

Winston wins that one comfortably.

Mallard also strikes a Question by Seymour from the record, & then throws him out, after some argy bargy over Seymour being a smart alec & calling Peters “Grandpa”. About halfway thru.

Another decent effort by Jags & The Rollers