Open Forum Tuesday

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

/  16th June 2020

Ditch that hog, Corks. These will no doubt soon be all the rage.

Just need a few minor bugs ironed out first.

/  16th June 2020

Mad Max is now a reality. I love it. I can see myself cruising at two hundred feet. I spot Lurchy on his scooter. I turn on my whistle, similar to a Junkers dive bomber, and scream down.
      Lurchy’s strides would be like a paisely print. Crashing would be a small price to pay for a little fun like that.

• NOEL

/  16th June 2020

Mad Max…..Nah Judge Dredd.

• Mad, anyway.

/  16th June 2020

It’s science fiction. That demands imagination.

• No, dear, these are real. But they don’t go 200 feet high (how odd that someone still uses imperial measures after ? decades of metrics) Do try to keep up.

Read the story. It’s not scifi. It’s real and they are in Dubai. That’s a country in the Middle East; it’s a real place. Look on a map if you don’t believe me.

I tend to find scifi a bore except when it’s by great writers like CS Lewis. Have you heard of him ?

• I haven’t been to Dubai; the nearest was Muscat. But these hoverbikes were not around then, so that’s all right.

/  16th June 2020

Sci Fi is great. Much prefer genre that to any other fiction. Isaac Asimov, Doc Smith, Arthur C Clark … all great writers & forward-looking thinkers.

• I am a classics girl, myself; not The Classics, although I have read them*, but the great writers like Chaucer, Shakespeare, Thackeray, Trollope, Dickens, CS Lewis, Maugham, Lewis Carroll, Rosamund Lehmann, Clemence Dane..too many to name,. CS Lewis’s scifi is great. Fantasy (like CSL’s others and that of Terry Pratchett and George MacDonald) isn’t quite the same thing….

I am also fond of the Victorian ‘minor’ novelists like Charlotte Yonge.

* and very rude some of them are

/  16th June 2020

Judge Dredd. This is just too easy.

”I am a classics girl, myself.”

Yes, and it shows.

• Oh, really ? Have you read Trollope, Victor Hugo, Tolstoy; Leskov, Defoe, Turgenev, Colette, Defoe, Petronius, Chaucer, Boswell, Gide, George Eliot, the Brontes, Dante Alighieri,Marlowe, Lyly, Donne, Zola, Balzac, Lermontov, Fielding, Gogol, Smollett et al, et al…..

No ? I thought not. So how does it show ?

Needless to say that these are not all that I read.

And:

Time the MSM stopped swallowing b.s. whole.

• Pink David

/  16th June 2020

“Time the MSM stopped swallowing b.s. whole.”

I hate to break this to you, but it’s the MSM who create the BS. It’s the public that are expected to swallow it, and NZ’ers did by the million.

/  16th June 2020

They promote it. Corrupted science creates it.

• Pink David

/  16th June 2020

I don’t think that is completely true at all. The corrupted science is feeding the demand. Without it, there would be less corrupted science.

/  16th June 2020

No. Climate science has spread its corruption widely so scientists now see themselves as political activists. They write up their publications with mandatory scary “could” and “may” conclusions followed by a case for urgent funding. A young rellie admitted that is exactly what they are told to do. Getting subsequent media coverage is the immediate goal and one their institutions are heavily invested in. It’s a shocking corruption of a once respectable search for knowledge and truth.

• Pink David

/  16th June 2020

I wonder what Mr Feynman would make of these times.

• duperez

/  16th June 2020

Over recent years Feynman would have been scorned in New Zealand. The predominant demand of teaching and teachers here is to ‘teach kids stuff.’

• Duker

/  16th June 2020

He would say that … would only be dealing with the brightest of the bright graduate students.
          Hes like the haute couturiers in Paris or Milan say, works with the most skilled dressmakers and designers , the most beautiful fabrics, all to create clothes that can and do last a lifetime …while back in Bangladesh and fast fashion and whatever stores it is their clothes are sold in.
          Or another analogy , the chefs who work in 3 star Michelin restaurants, the highly trained staff, the ingredients, the original menus with everything made from scratch.

• When I was teaching before ill-health reared its ugly head, thinking for yourself was very much the in thing, and it has been for a long time.

Educare means to draw out, after all.

Some things do need to be learned by rote, of course.

/  16th June 2020

The ultimate goal of education is to teach children to teach themselves – preparation for a lifetime of learning. That is pretty much what Feynman was saying. It’s not just for clever kids, it’s for everyone. There are many ways to achieve it and a lot of ways not to achieve it.

3. Corky

/  16th June 2020

Cultural madness abounds. TV One now has a sheila with a moko. And just when you thought sanity had prevailed, you get this:

Quote:

* A Māori health authority to sit alongside Health NZ and the Ministry of Health.*

Racist bullshit. Hell, Maori are already a problem in the present health system. How could they add anything of note? Are we still one country?

• Kiwi Dave

/  16th June 2020

Maybe Muller’s slogan should be “We Are One (country)”

/  16th June 2020

He can’t do that. Taking that position means he would have to oppose Maori.

• There has been a reporter with a moko for years. Do keep up.

/  16th June 2020

I’m all ears. Tell me about this woman I have never seen?

Better still, let me call out your bs. Please try to control your romancing. It does nothing for the little mana you have left.

• Mihinirangi Forbes has had one for years; ever heard of her ?

I can’t help it if you have a short memory. She’s not on 1 now, but she was. Where else would I have seen her ?

• Have you tried ginseng ? I have heard that it’s good for failing memories, but as I don’t suffer from this, I haven’t used it.

/  16th June 2020

Sometimes it’s just too easy.

• Duker

/  16th June 2020

Not years, this was recently

• Five years anyway; that’s ‘years’.

But poor old Corks has never heard of her, from the sound ot it.

/  16th June 2020

Sop and Taurine is excellent for a ageing brain- FACT!

• Duker

/  16th June 2020

Strangely this photo is from a 2016 story , the above is 2018.

/  16th June 2020

My nieces have a moko when they perform at Maori cultural events.

/  16th June 2020

Any chance of an apology like I did when I was wrong about your dogs.😃✔?

• No; there wasn’t one from you, and it’s one dog.

Why on earth should I apologise because your ‘nieces’ wear mokos?

You had better buy some Sop (whatever that is) and Taurine.

/  16th June 2020

That’s your mana gone. You have shown yourself to be a small person of little moral character…but having huge ego.

”A sop is a piece of bread or toast that is drenched in liquid and then eaten. In medieval cuisine, sops were very common; they were served with broth, soup or wine, salt water and then picked apart into smaller pieces to soak in the liquid.”

My apology to Kitty. If I’m wrong I’m wrong. It’s called doing the RIGHT thing:

Ironically, Gezza had me on about bookmarking everything. I told him that’s because I’m tired of being lied about ( words to that affect).
              Seems like a very good decision.

/  16th June 2020

Ironically, Gezza had me on about bookmarking everything.

I think your memory gets distorted over time. I don’t recall “having you on about bookmarking everything”.

Yeah, you did. There’s nothing wrong with my memory. If I’m not sure I
              usually say so. You said it was creepy..a little like stalking.

Kitty also said similar using different words.

Remind me to bookmark you in future for a quick reference.

Have a great night. Must fly.

/  16th June 2020

Nup haven’t found anything from me like that after a site search. I also remember you assuring me here not all that long ago that a comment I posted the night my father-law-passed away received lots of downticks. As I know that date it was easy to find – & you were wrong. Your memory that (for some strange reason) it really annoyed you had somehow got distorted over time into it having irked lots of people. It hadn’t.

/  16th June 2020

Ah, yes, I forgot about that. I got called away. Please repost the comment.
              If I’m wrong, of course I won’t be [deleted], I will apologise. I don’t have a big ego, and are quite comfortable knowing sometimes I’m wrong. If I remember correctly there was over 20 downticks.

/  17th June 2020

I don’t have a big ego

Correct. From my observations it’s ginormous. You’ve got it all tied in with your mana.

I don’t need to repost it. I’ve already told you how many upticks & downticks it received. I remember it well, have no use for an empty apology for your absurdity over the matter, & have no interest in reindulging the peculiar nastiness you demonstrated over that one.

• Is that also cultural madness ?

• duperez

/  16th June 2020

Cultural madness abounds. TV One, TV Three and Prime News all have male newsreaders wearing ties. 🤣

/  16th June 2020

They will add more sinecure pedestals for the Maori elite while accomplishing nothing at the coal face. The Waikato DHB is always at the wrong end of every statistic and health cock up and the best thing that can happen to it is to be taken over by an organisation that doesn’t tolerate low standards for anyone.

4. Corky

/  16th June 2020

Businesses in Minneapolis are leaving. They have had enough of those peaceful protesters.

5. Pink David

/  16th June 2020

So, how much air time are the ‘anti-racism’ riots in France getting in NZ?

6. Pink David

/  16th June 2020

Comical. Jacinda can shut the entire country down, destroy thousands of businesses and tens of thousands of jobs in the blink of an eye, but she cannot get a pay cut because ‘reasons’
    “Jacinda Ardern is ‘frustrated’ she’s still on full pay despite promised cuts”

• Pathetic. It hasn’t occurred to her to DIY and put 20% aside, I suppose. How many people are losing 100% of their pay because of her ‘instinct’ which overrode ‘science and evidence’ and made her shut the country down ?

I can’t think why it was easy for other people to take 20% pay cuts but not her and MPs.

• Pink David

/  16th June 2020

How about simply ringing to correct person and ensuring that pays are amended immediately.

Isn’t her entire stick her ‘captain’s calls’? ‘It was a bit hard’ makes the whole thing look like a farce.

7. It’s the Shortest Day on Saturday (it & the Longest Day always seem to come too early) so in 6 weeks after that the days will be noticeably longer.

This has been a Claytons winter here so far (I hope that’s not tempting fate) The diehards are wearing winter clothes because it’s officially winter, of course.

/  16th June 2020

Just lit the fire mainly because it is grey and dismal rather than cold. Still blowing from the north.

/  16th June 2020

Amazing how a whiff of kanuka smoke cheers up a room.

• I haven’t worn a jersey yet and I have some nice ones. It’s grey and bleak looking today, but yesterday was sunny and summery and I was cooked in my jeans and denim shirt as I walked down the hill to town. Shops selling jerseys must be cursing. I can’t remember when I last bought a new one.

/  16th June 2020

Bunnings online fails again. It’s now a week since I ordered a coil of clothesline wire and no delivery despite two stores less than 80 mins away. Just hopeless.

• The delivery probably doesn’t come from there.Mitre10 is usually good. Bunnings can’t blame the lockdown now; I have heard that they are unsatisfactory and slow from other people.

/  16th June 2020

Yes, Mitre 10 has given good service. I just thought I’d test Bunnings once more. They do come from Whangarei though Kerikeri is a bit closer. But they took three days just to process the order and probably didn’t get a courier pickup till yesterday. Hopeless, I won’t be using them again.

9. lurcher1948

/  16th June 2020

So can someone point Paul Goldsmiths amazing financial experience, does he use his wife’s budgeting skills, HES A BOOK WRITER for gods sake,I could be him with NO SKILLS

10. Two Covid cases in NZ. If the PM tries to lock us all down again, I think that she may be in for a surprise. Thank goodness these were brought in from the UK. ??? I thought that the border was closed.

• Duker

/  16th June 2020

NZ sisters from overseas for seriously ill parent in Wellington. Went into quarantine on arrival in Auckland but after 6 days parent condition worsened , so on compassionate grounds travelled south to bedside… developed symptons and didnt attend funeral.

This is what your compassionate circumstances can lead to …happy ! .
      Oh no you complain again … no end to your misery . Ill point out this case every time you complain again.

• I said that they came in from the UK. If they’d begun here, we’d be in lockdown before we knew what had hit us.

Most of the people who applied to see dying relations were refused. The cruelty of this was appalling, as were cases like the husband not being let to be with his wife when she was losing their baby. There wasn’t much compassion, unless you count a perfunctory ‘No one should have to go through that.’ from the PM, after which people did have to go through these things.

Your last paragraph doesn’t make any sense at all.

/  16th June 2020

Muller’s Question Time effort today. (Haven’t listened to it yet.)

/  16th June 2020

Hopeless. Even Nikki looked despairing.

13. Brian Johnston

/  16th June 2020

Does anyone know what NZ receives as a royalty on oil?

I understand it is 5% of the well head price – the price to get it to the surface. $6 – $8?
    Times 5% = 30c – 40c per barrel. Crazy stuff.