Christchurch mosque killer shouldn’t have been granted firearms license – report

There were obvious questions about how Christchurch mosque Brendon Tarrant was granted a firearms license that allowed him to buy firearms and ammunition. A report confirms that police made basic errors in their procedures.

Stuff: Mosque terrorist was wrongly granted firearms licence due to police mistakes, sources say

The March 15 terrorist was wrongly granted a firearms licence due to a string of police failures, sources have told Stuff.

The terrorist, who pleaded guilty to New Zealand’s worst mass shooting in March, was not properly inspected by police vetting staff when he applied for a firearms licence in 2017.

Stuff has been told that, among other errors, police failed to interview a family member as required, instead relying on two men who met the terrorist through an internet chatroom.

More than a year on from the March 15 terror attack, police insiders say the error was the product of a long neglected police firearms system that did not have the resources to properly handle applications.

Police have previously confirmed he applied for the licence in September 2017, was interviewed at his Somerville St, Dunedin home in October, and was granted the licence after the application was reviewed in November.

However, a police source has told Stuff the licence application should not have been granted, as police vetting staff failed to properly interview appropriate referees for the terrorist.

A licence applicant must provide two referees to be interviewed by police vetting staff, who are tasked with assessing the risk a person could pose if granted a firearms licence.

The terrorist’s licence was granted without a family member being interviewed, or even called, according to a source with knowledge of the matter.

Instead, the only referees interviewed by a police vetter were a Cambridge father and son. They knew the terrorist through an internet chatroom.

Police sources, who include both current and former staff who spoke to Stuff on the condition of anonymity, say the licence would not have been granted if proper procedure was followed.

Another arms officer is supposed to check the applicant has been properly vetted before issuing the licence, yet no red flag was raised about the terrorist’s incomplete file.

Instead, the only referees interviewed by a police vetter were a Cambridge father and son. They knew the terrorist through an internet chatroom.

Police sources, who include both current and former staff who spoke to Stuff on the condition of anonymity, say the licence would not have been granted if proper procedure was followed.

Another arms officer is supposed to check the applicant has been properly vetted before issuing the licence, yet no red flag was raised about the terrorist’s incomplete file.

I was granted  firearms license (renewal) by Dunedin police in July 2018. I was interviewed in my home for about an hour, and my firearm security was also checked. A family member was interviewed for about half an hour, and someone who has known me for thirty years was also interviewed via phone.

It seemed to be very through, almost intrusive, asking about my attitude the use of firearms, my mental health and whether I had  associations with gangs.

The process did take a couple of months.

Maybe the police were under less pressure when I was vetted, but the laxness in granting Tarrant a license is inexcusable.

Stuff understands New Zealand First and Labour have agreed to possibly removing the firearms licensing regime from police’s control, and establishing a separate independent firearms authority.

Police are also making changes to how they vet people applying for firearms licences, Stuff understands, with the pay and training of vetting staff being reviewed.

Of course the problem should be rectified, but it’s too late for all those murdered or affected by the murders in Christchurch.


RNZ – Gun laws: MPs continue debate on second phase of firearms reform

Leave a comment

31 Comments

  1. Maggy Wassilieff

     /  17th June 2020

    So, if the cops had done their job properly, we would not have had this mass murder by a non-NZer.

    But for over 1 year the media and Ardern have been trying to feed us all a story that it was nasty far-right folk in our country that was behind this massacre.

    Reply
    • Duker

       /  17th June 2020

      Maggie …..his manifesto said all that , not Media and Ardern… he had no connection to far right here , it was all online. But of course the far right here ( and elsewhere) embraced him afterwards

      Reply
      • Maggy, I fear that he would have done it anyway, if he was that determined. It would have been delayed, that’s all.

        When I was playing with a small Muslim child not long ago, I couldn’t help thinking of the little boy who ran laughing towards his killer; they’d be the same age.

        The man who took the murderer on, unarmed, and scared him off showed the sort of courage that I can’t even imagine having.

        Reply
  2. Duker

     /  17th June 2020

    The time period for you is around the same
    “When Tarrant moved to New Zealand in August 2017, he later said he did so to plan and train for the attack he had already conceived. He moved to Dunedin, rented a house in a quiet street, and set about planning a massacre. New Zealand wasn’t the target he initially intended to attack, but it became the country he settled on.”
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12319981

    Im very dubious about the spin of ‘unbearable pressure’….

    This other story about the excessive ammunition he bought , which may not have been checked either
    “McNeill, who is also director of the Aoraki Ammunition Company, appeared before the committee on Friday via video link……..

    “He told the committee he received a police mail order form from the Dunedin arms officer in December 2017 to supply the accused with 2300 rounds of ammunition.

    “At the time, Brenton Tarrant was issued with a 10 year [firearms] licence, expired 8 September 2027, indicating he was issued a licence in September of 2017, which from my information was only a matter of five or six weeks after he arrived in the country,” McNeill told the committee.
    “This time, he has no family, no partner, no job, no footprint in the community, yet he was vetted as being fit and proper and obviously given a full licence which allowed him to arm himself.”
    “McNeill said the mail order form also said the accused was in possession of a Norinco semi-automatic rifle as well as an AR-15 – the type of military-style semi-automatic firearm the Government made illegal in the aftermath of the March 15 attacks.
    “So the police were aware he had these firearms,”
    At that time, I believe, the semi-automatics required a special category license , even stricter than normal vetting (?)
    So another fail in Police Arms office in Dunedin. As usual its never ‘one lapse’ but a chain of incompetence.
    Wasnt it NZF MP Marks who said the other day, in regards Police being armed, often with semi automatics , that their firearms training is less than what ‘school cadets’ get.

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12286323

    Reply
  3. John J Harrison

     /  17th June 2020

    Maggy, dead right.
    With this hopeless COL nothing will be done to address this issue and nor will anyone be held to account.
    Meanwhile gang membership has rocketed up by circa 50% since Jacinda was selected by NZ First as our PM.
    Gun violence has also rapidly escalated by gang members who seemingly were not required to surrender their arsenals.
    One law for the law abiding and another for Maori gangs be it for illegal road blocks, 100’s attending funerals ( when non Maori were limited to 12 ) and innumerable traffic offenses which the police clearly condone.

    Reply
    • Duker

       /  17th June 2020

      The license was applied for and issued in 2017 before the election, Harrison get your facts right, before you spout off you [self redacted]

      Reply
  4. Brian Johnston

     /  17th June 2020

    The cops did do their job properly before granting Tarrant a gun licence.

    No one knows when or where the next psychopath will come from.

    Tarrant is not a lone gunman.

    We need a full investigation before ill informed comments are made.

    I am not making any apologies for suggesting a conspiracy theory. A conspiracy did take place and a conspiracy is covering up.

    If everyone was allowed to watch and did watch the livestream video of the shooting they may have a different view on the subject hence the reason it may have been banned.

    I do not want to see a heap of emotional comments. I only want the facts. The facts are there is a media blackout on the story and we do not have a clue what happened.

    Questions:
    Was the carpet which must have been covered in blood kept as an exhibit as part of the crime scene.
    Were photos taken of any the holes in the walls. They must have existed.
    Were the shells photographed and gathered.
    Were the ambulance photos part of a drill. They sure look like it.
    What about coroners report.

    JFK/Warren Commission all over again?

    Reply
    • Duker

       /  17th June 2020

      Unbelievable ….. suggesting the deaths of 51 people didnt happen or Tarrant wasnt the lone gunman
      For facts to be useful you need a functioning brain , which you clearly havent, just claptrap masquerading as logic.
      [Deleted, and your accusation is wrong – PG]

      Reply
      • Duker

         /  17th June 2020

        And the accusations made by Johnson ?
        I dont wont repeat baseless claims but its clear he making them.

        Reply
      • Corky

         /  17th June 2020

        Ever wondered why you are asked your name in court, when your name is already known to all involved?

        I watched the livestream and the aftermath. I have already formulated my views on the perp; the victims; the response; the media…and the multitude of fugging disgusting glory-hounds who turned up for what they must have considered the best show in town at the time.

        Reply
        • Please tell mho e that you were not one of the ghouls who watched Tarrant’s video as he put it online.

          It hardly took great perspicacity to work out what kind of person would do this crime. Or why he chose innocent Muslims minding their own business at a mosque. That was known almost at once, but was very obvious anyway,

          Who were the glory seekers who turned up ? The area was immediately locked down and closed off.

          Reply
      • Brian Johnston

         /  17th June 2020

        An emotional rant is not helpful.
        I never said the shooting never happened. Because of the lack of coverage and real evidence I could say we don’t know the shooting did happen. There is a difference.
        Your comments scrape the bottom of the barrel.
        Martin Bryant did not carry out the Port Arthur massacre yet was framed and went to jail, without a trial.
        We need a full enquiry into the ChCh shooting.
        The livestream was a mock up. Fact. No one died in the livestream. Fact.
        I did not make an accusation and I am not wrong.
        You had to launch a personal diatribe.
        Show some maturity and sympathy for those who have suffered.
        A few people claim to have seen other shooters.
        There was a drill on at the time. Who knows what people saw.
        Shoes everywhere.
        Now we have an eye witness.
        ‘Eye witnesses’ at Port Arthur were wrong.

        Reply
        • Gezza

           /  17th June 2020

          The livestream was a mock up. Fact. No one died in the livestream. Fact.

          Bullshit. I personally witnessed one victim who could not have survived the horrific impact of the bullet which visibly hit her. I will not provide a description. You really need to be posting on Alex Jones’s Infowars, not here. That’s where all the conspiracy fruitcakes go.

          Reply
          • Duker

             /  17th June 2020

            Dont know why it isnt deleted as completely false claims, happens often enough, they do it to push their rubbish up google rankings
            Only takes 10 sec to find video of Bryants shootings at Port Arthur and the Tarrant video was still live , just the public version isnt the full version for obvious reasons.

            Reply
    • Gezza

       /  17th June 2020

      I saw it. It happened.

      Reply
      • How hideous for you to see that; it would be impossible to unsee it. I hope that the victim died instantly.

        Reply
        • Gezza

           /  17th June 2020

          Yes.

          Reply
        • Griff.

           /  17th June 2020

          I also watched the feed as is recorded in this blog on the day.
          I refused to link to it as even then I thought it was an unspeakable act that should not be distributed.

          Reply
  5. NOEL

     /  17th June 2020

    “Gun violence has also rapidly escalated by gang members who seemingly were not required to surrender their arsenals. ”
    John perhaps you are missing a crucial bit here?
    The buy back was for lawfully owned guns.

    Reply
    • Duker

       /  17th June 2020

      Plus the buyback was only all semi automatics and lever/bolt action with ‘large magazine guns’ [10+]
      Many could have the magazine altered at taxpayer expense to be smaller capacity and they then could keep it.
      Gang members would never have a gun license to buy a gun , but usually got them through transactions, or theft from from legal gun owners as private transactions werent recorded.

      Reply
      • Our former neighbour was a hunter who had legal guns.

        When they were away, there was a break-in. No prizes for guessing what was stolen.

        Reply
  6. Brian Johnston

     /  17th June 2020

    Gezza: You don’t get it. You may be aware of a victim. We believe a shooting took place. The livestream was not a video of the shooting. You had to resort to bad language and silly names

    Duker: You do not know what happened at Port Arthur. Don’t start. You refer to a Tarrant video and a public version, you have provided no evidence. I suggest you are making it up which makes you the false one.

    I shall leave this site. I cannot be bothered with barmy people and fake names a typical ruse of leftist types.. A shame as some input from others is interesting.

    Corky: Links all over the place. Try and obtain a copy of Deadly Deception At Port Arthur by Joe Vialls. It is all there. I have additional information from other sources.

    Reply
    • Gezza

       /  17th June 2020

      Of course it was a video of the bloody shooting. It looked like you were watching a video game, except that it was painfully obvious those were real people getting killed and maimed and that this Tarrant arsehole was the one who was doing it – for real.

      Good idea to leave this site.

      Reply
      • Brian Johnston

         /  17th June 2020

        It is not my intent to offend and would father not discuss the video. You don’t get it.
        The video was a mock up. The shooter enters Al Noor mosque and shoots someone in the door way who falls backwards and when he re-enters is lying forward. He shoots someone in the hall who has bare feet and when the shooter leaves the same person is wearing blue socks. In the prayer room the same person is seen with head under two different chairs.
        In all cases it has to be ‘Take One’ – ‘Take Two’.
        We are not permitted to view the livestream though the odd bit of overseas commentary is available which I have been advised by the censors office we are permitted to view.

        Though I sympathise with anyone who has lost someone, we are entitled to know the truth.

        America did not get the truth on JFK, Robert nor JFK Jr.
        Australia did not get the truth on Port Arthur

        For anyone who is interested James Earl Ray did not kill MLK. For an interesting read I recommend The Plot To Kill King by Dr. William Pepper.

        Reply
        • Gezza

           /  17th June 2020

          Why are you apparently assuming everyone who was shot died instantly & didn’t move? If you didn’t see the unedited video livestream why on earth are you even purporting to describe the events & the video footage?

          Reply
    • Corky

       /  17th June 2020

      Yes, I know. I just wanted to see if Duker was spinning again. I have researched the case. Something stinks. Some witness accounts are at odds with the official story. Ex police officers who refuse to talk because it’s such a sensitive case. A person with an extremely low IQ who head shot most of his victims with an average gun and apparently moved like a SF exponent.
      And who according to some..had black hair. Witnesses are notorious for getting things wrong. However, a persons hair colour would be hard to forget…especially someone with long blonde locks.

      Reply
      • Brian Johnston

         /  17th June 2020

        The guns were military style? A gun owner identified his gun. It was allegedly handed into a police amnesty. Bryant only ever owned a .22.

        Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s