Open Forum Thursday

This post is open to anyone to comment on any topic that isn’t spam, illegal or offensive. All Your NZ posts are open but this one is for you to raise topics that interest you, or you think may interest others..

If providing opinions on or summaries of other information also provide a link to that information. Bloggers are welcome to summarise and link to their posts. Comments worth more exposure may be repeated as posts. Comments from other forums can be repeated here, cut and paste is fine.

• Please don’t post anything illegal, potentially defamatory or abusive.

FIRST TIME COMMENTERS: Due to abuse by a few, first comments under any ID will park in moderation until released (as soon as possible but it can sometimes take a while).

Sometimes comments will go into moderation or spam automatically due to mistyped ID, too many links (>4), or trigger text or other at risk criteria. If they pass muster they will be released as soon as possible (it can sometimes take hours).

1. David

/  16th July 2020

Luke Malpass at Stuff who lets just say sometimes flirts with being Arderns press secretary at large is probably not the highest rated writer in my mind. His opinion pieces tend to leave you after reading them wondering what the point of them is. He doesnt really enlighten or offer anything insightful but more a word salad.
    This mornings effort he shows his dislike of Collins which could be that he fears strong women but it is full of contradictions, eludes to past events but gives no present context , calls her a poor communicator but then a good communicator, that she needs to quickly develop a political personality but everyone knows her. At least he is clear that Ardern is great communicator and her faults are…well nothing.
    Its a pretty poor effort at writing something interesting, thank god for bloggers.

/  16th July 2020

Read one of Malpass’s efforts the other day and won’t bother again. Like most modern journalists the only thing you learn about from reading them is them.

/  16th July 2020

He wrote a piece shortly after Walker was sacked in which he said Walker had claimed that 15,000 people from India, Pakistan & South Korea were going to be put into managed isolation in Queenstown.

It was already being reported there was work being done to prepare for 3 managed isolation centres in Queenstown, Dunedin & I think Invercargill. THAT is what Walker was referring to in the radio interview he gave.

I remember thinking it was a sloppy opinion piece.

/  16th July 2020

There’s a picture in that link of Judith and Gerry leading a pack of National members behind them. It looks like mum and dad leading the kids for a day out. It’s an image that will make or break National. Either voters will want their parents around in troubling times…or they won’t want to reatach the apron strings.

• That is standard. There are photos like that of the PM and probably of all Party leaders. They can’t have everyone in the front row, there simply isn’t room.

2. lurcher1948

/  16th July 2020

Nationals 3 leaders in 3 months and MPs leaving and sacked right and center,could the last National mp turn the lights out
    PS enjoy freedom Nikki

3. Pink David

/  16th July 2020

• You missed including a reply:
      This was leaked last year. It shows prisoners being transferred from Kashgar to Korla in late April 2019.

• Conspiratoor

/  16th July 2020

Not only looks familiar but the appeasement by much of the western world sounds familiar

Sadly history is repeating itself

4. Reply
  5. lurcher1948

/  16th July 2020

PG might follow this up, Muller overthrows Bridges and gets rewarded with Position 8, Trade and National loses Paula Bennett, Muller has a breakdown and resigned and Bridges 4 gets foreign affairs, and justice but loses Nikki,due to Judith Collins,a scary question, Muller under pressure in a trade deal and has a meltdown,where does that leave NZ,HE’S NOT THE ONE

6. The latest Quinnipiac poll is looking great for Biden – up by 15 points over Trump

And NBC’s latest poll has Biden up by 11 pts. Biden was up by 7 in the same poll roughly a month ago. Now 11.

Of course OANN has Trump at 75% in all 63 states 😀

• Pink David

This one is for you;

“British ex-spy Christopher Steele must pay damages to two Alfa Bank partners for publishing “inaccurate or misleading” material in his infamous dossier, including claims the banks funneled “illicit cash” to Russian President Vladimir Putin, a British court ruled Wednesday.”

The Russians won.

7. Corky

/  16th July 2020

This is what I want National to deal with harshly. 1O years hard time. Any Asian self defence practitioners watching this? Observe why your art won’t work in the real world. By the time you transitioned to a horse riding stance, the feral in this clip working the screwdriver would have you looking like a sieve…if you were lucky that is .

• Horse riding as in the video made famous by the Korean singer, Psy ? Not unless you want the attacker to die laughing.

The fact is that no one was left looking like a sieve or even, thank goodness. seriously injured.

Prancing around pretending to be riding a horse is unlikely to have much effect on a robber. That is not what martial arts do in any Asian country. Should they also sing the Lone Ranger theme ?

8. Geoffrey

/  16th July 2020

Watched TVNZ1 News tonight. It would seem that either, out of the dozens to have a Mike held under the chin, not one was favourably disposed to the National News, or it was ruthlessly censored to make it appear that way. Very disappointed to see such blatant politiking by our primary news carrier.

• duperez

/  16th July 2020

Do you think they’d say that they had their normal lenses in and were covering things as they would with any party in the same circumstances? And that they might suggest that you had your normal lenses in and were viewing things as you would with one particular party in those circumstances?

9. Jack

/  18th July 2020

For Pete to see first thing in the morning and delete. But why? This is just an idea!
    I have wondered before and for many months whether there is a character here planted specifically for causing dissension among Kiwis, deliberately setting out to demoralise us in our collective kindness. Of late, this contributor just seems to be grasping at straws – feeling like he is losing traction for trouble making? (Even deliberately maiming in some cases.) I make this suggestion, not lightly, yet genuinely. It seems to me that by working together, we are giving this bad character the shove. I believe that it is vital for Kiwis to gain their culture and to not allow anyone to put a spanner in the works. I believe in each of us exposing evil in our individual unique ways, even through strangers blogging together. Exposing evil at grass roots, in my view, is one of the responsibilities of being a Kiwi. I think that Pete’s blog is special – a great community service – and is probably wider read than supposed. The regular non partisan contributors are engaging and illustrate how people can agree to disagree without needing kid glove treatment. I find it educational and even entertaining, am probably not the only one. But there is something glaringly out of place here, to my mind.

• Jack

/  18th July 2020

Further, if this wondering gels with others, may I suggest that old timers come to the aid of newcomers who get attacked by this character. It can be very off putting. You want many and creative views shared?

/  18th July 2020

There are several here who engage in personal attacks and get called out for them. They do their cause no good and PG has to moderate them so test his patience at their own risk. Not coincidentally they all inhabit the Left bank. Best is just to call them out when they are out of line. If you can add a bit of humour to that, all the better.

/  18th July 2020

Yes it gels with me…Jack.

I have a very open mind though and can tolerate people trying to force their religious views on…everyone they encounter.

• Jack – Yes I have seen this first thing this morning, but I have no reason to delete it. I welcome ideas and opinions as long as they are reasonably expressed and don’t personally attack or abuse. I think you have genuinely expressed things that concern you but you’ve done it respectfully.

There is no deliberate plant here, at least not planted by me. People are free to comment no matter what their opinions or motives are as long as they express themselves reasonably. An important aspect here is to allow people to comment with their identities and backgrounds protected. That’s why I limit digging into and speculating on indentities.

Moderating is challenging when supporting as much free speech as possible but limiting behaviour that is abusive or anti-social that risks limiting the free speech of others. I’m aware that some people in social media try to shout down and drive away people with opinion or particularly political inclinations.

I try to limit that as much as possible, while still allowing free expression which can include joking and having people on, as long as it is done with good intent. It can be tricky, because some try to disguise abuse as humour or joking. I do my best to judge intent and base moderation on what I think. I won’t always get it right and some may think I’m unfair at times, but some don’t like their attacks and abuse restricted and hissy fit over that. If i think that’s what’s happening I act accordingly.

Despite some at times quite extreme abuse here I have never outright banned anyone. If people cross boundaries too often or deliberately to disrupt I put them on auto moderation, meaning all of their comments won’t appear until approve them. That is usually effective, although some of those affected so restricted moan about it being unfair. But I put the greater good of Your NZ ahead of their agendas. In 2015 a bunch of numpties tried to force auto-moderation on the whole site through court action, they also threatened to put me in prison to try to shut me down, but they used legislation twelve months before it came into effect so it was thrown out, and they misused the legislation anyway, so they failed.

That gang of online thugs tried to wreck the place, used multiple identities, tried to set me up with planted comments they then tried to use against me in legal actions, and they also attacked commenters here. We stood up to them and they lost. One ended up being convicted of multiple counts of criminal harassment against others and being made bankrupt due to unpaid court costs in multiple failed court actions – the Supreme Court should soon be putting out a judgment on his sentence, he was lucky not to be imprisoned himself. Another of those involved also went bankrupt due to court and legal costs and lost defamations and was actually in court again yesterday in another defamation action.

So I have had quite a bit of experience in dealing with some of the worst online offenders in New Zealand, and survived. And from that experience moderation here has evolved to where it is now, which I think works well enough generally.

I miss some things (some deliberately try to beat the rules when they think i won’t be looking) and won’t please all of the people all of the time, but I’m happy enough with where it is now.

I don’t have a problem with criticising other commenters and questioning their actions as long as it isn’t abusive or coercive.

But I will resist banning or moderating people because others don’t like what they post. That can be a slippery slope that risks gutting the forum – some people only want their opinions and agendas allowed. If they want that then they should start up their own blog.

If you disagree with or don’t like what someone else says here the best way of dealing with it is to argue against them respectfully, that’s a lot more affective than getting drawn into a shit fight (which is the intent of some provocateurs). Fight with facts, fight with reason, fight fairly.

If you are the target of abuse or what you think are unfair attack or comments or defamation I encourage you to contact me (email address in About) and I will deal with it – what I do may not do exactly what you want but it helps if it is brought to my attention. I don’t always pick things up as they happen.

The only perfect forum is one without comments, and of course that is also not a forum. I endeavour to make Your NZ the least imperfect I am able to.