What do you think is the biggest threat to humanity?

An interesting Question of the Day:

What do you think is the biggest threat to humanity? Disease, Asteroids, Nuclear War, or Climate Change?

Responses will obviously be affected by the big news of the day, and news of the year.

/  25th August 2020

Stupidity is likely most imminent.

2. duperez

/  25th August 2020

Agree, just people and their stupidity.

• Kimbo

/  25th August 2020

Human nature being what it is, you may manage that problem to varying degrees, but it will always be with us.

3. Kimbo

/  25th August 2020

Either way, I doubt “Climate Change” will have the same resonance among the first world masses in the next few years as we struggle to make economic and social repairs.

4. Patzcuaro

/  25th August 2020

Humans, over population is placing increasing pressure on the planet. A lot of our current practices, such as industrial farming and increasing contact with wildlife, are leading to diseases jumping between species.

• Pink David

/  25th August 2020

Why do you think there is over population?

The biggest challenge the world is going to face is a lack of people, not an excess.

• Patzcuaro

/  25th August 2020

What planet to you live on?

• Pink David

/  25th August 2020

The one in which the Malthusian’s have been wrong at least 200 years and counting.

Populations across almost all western countries are falling and are expected to keep doing so for the foreseeable future. Same with China. Even India will see a birth rate of less than 2 in a few years.

• Fight4nz

That’s my pick.
      Depletion of finite resources combined with failure to deal with waste.
      Population explosion leads to population collapse, the natural cycle.

• Pink David

/  25th August 2020

There is no limit to resources. The Limits of Growth was a comic book.

Nor is there a population explosion, why do you think this?

• Fight4nz

/  26th August 2020

This would be the stupidity AW was talking about. Hardly the biggest threat though.

5. Blazer

/  25th August 2020

I think it is interest rates.

Why are they so low?

• That goes both ways.

Low interest rates on savings means low interest on mortgages and so on.

One can’t have it both ways. My term deposit interest is very low, but if I still had a mortgage, it would be, too.

/  25th August 2020

That does not explain why interest rates are so low and the threat that ..presents.

• It’s too complicated to explain, there are many factors that affect interest rates.

I remember when a cheque account earned something like 11% interest, more than 10%, anyway. But borrowing rates were through the roof as well. Our first mortgage hit double figures at one point !

6. Jack

/  25th August 2020

It seems likely a nuclear catastrophe is what will bring the end. A comforting thought so long as it’s a wham of consuming fire all over suddenly. The other options are grim but not a great threat. Just things for us to grow in wisdom using science and which cause suffering in the meantime.

• If you think that nuclear blast is a comforting thought and all over suddenly, you’re dreaming. Look at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

A friend’s mother had a misshapen lump of glass that came from Hiroshima, it had been a heavy bottle.

You must have seen what happened to the survivors and the terrible health problems that they had, not to mention the appalling burns.

My hope is that the real deterrent to nuclear war would be that it would be a Pyrrhic victory, like Jadis in The Magician’s Nephew’s destruction of her world.

7. Sunny

/  25th August 2020

Fearmongers and fear itself is the greatest threat and then looking to big government to fix it, resulting in an unprecedented erosion of democracy , civil liberties and the economy. Nuclear war, disease and asteroids are no more or less imminent than they have ever been.

8. Corky

/  25th August 2020

For me, the biggest threat to humanity is not understanding this experiment and the indescribable implication for humanity in all our fields of endeavour.

This experiment can send people mad. It’s debated; reinterpreted. retested. The bottom line for some is the unpalatable truth that all matter MAY be conscious and have intelligence… and is dual natured,and able to be affect by human consciousness.

Wiki:
    ”One of the most famous experiments in physics is the double slit experiment. It demonstrates, with unparalleled strangeness, that little particles of matter have something of a wave about them, and suggests that the very act of observing a particle has a dramatic effect on its behaviour.”

/  25th August 2020

My God you are intelligent Corky….why worry…all you need to do every week is walk the dogge down to the Lotto shop to pick up the…wages!

/  25th August 2020

Your witless response is what worries me…hence why I think our ignorance is the biggest threat to humanity. No, I’m not intelligent regarding this experiment – I can barely grasp the basics myself.

But the experiment may show why I wasted over 5 years of my time coming up with my Lotto system when other people who win multiple times simply talk to the Lotto balls and ask them to become winners.

Or maybe your mate Jack could bless some water for you and imbue it with power. The water may become holy. Sadly, I doubt even holy water could exorcise socialism and that nasty streak from your blackened soul.

• Jack

/  25th August 2020

Please refrain from bringing me in to your discourse Corky. In the past you have misrepresented me. I see you haven’t moved on.
          I reject mysticism in its various forms. It works against Church.

/  25th August 2020

I don’t know what you are talking about, but I have got the message.

/  25th August 2020

ps- Lotto shops. We don’t want Lotto knowing a wheeling system that is contiually winning is in operation. I don’t know the rules, but I’m sure in some fine print is a clause that allows Lotto to close me down.

• If there was one, they’d know. It would be obvious.

One 1st division winner won it with a row of numbers that were something 2,3,4,5,6,7. They were the family birthdays.